By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BOLD PREDICTION: PS5 to be the last traditional PS console.

Makes sense?

Yes, sounds brilliant 1 7.69%

No, you are crazy 10 76.92%

Yes, but you are still crazy 2 15.38%

Total:13

Well... my last bold prediction didn't go too well, but I think this one is it!

I believe the PS5 will be the last time sony ULLY hits the reset button when gong onto a new generation. So the PS6 will be pretty much just like a PS5pro. And I expect it to come along in around 5 - 6 years.

The PS6 will become the 4K console, and the PS5 would at that time become t 1440p+ reconstruction or even just flat out 1080p console. In 6 years, we could very well be having a PS6 that would be packing 40TF GPU, that's just 4x more powerful GPU wise than the PS5. And I believe at that point sony would release every game across both the PS5 and PS6, but the PS5 would just become a 1080p console.

This way, PS5 would e supported fully into the tail end of the PS6 life, and would only stop being supported when the PS7 is released. So something like this.

• PS5 + PS6 = cross compatible (full softwaresupport)
  • PS6 + PS7 = cross-compatible (full software support, PS5 software, and hardware support discontinued)
  • PS7 + PS8 = cross-compatible (full software support, PS6 software and hardware discontinued)

This way, sony would never start any new-gen from zero again, and the install base will steadily continue to rise. When PS6 comes along, a lot of people wanting to get the latest and greatest could just pas on their PS5s in the used market, and those consoles remain active and maintain full support for the entire lie of the PS6. Then people that didn't jump in on the PS6 from the PS5 can get the PS7..etc.

Around the Network

How is that different from the current situation except for Sony not admitting it is?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Intrinsic said:

I believe the PS5 will be the last time sony ULLY hits the reset button when gong onto a new generation. So the PS6 will be pretty much just like a PS5pro. And I expect it to come along in around 5 - 6 years.

The PS6 will become the 4K console, and the PS5 would at that time become t 1440p+ reconstruction or even just flat out 1080p console. In 6 years, we could very well be having a PS6 that would be packing 40TF GPU, that's just 4x more powerful GPU wise than the PS5. And I believe at that point sony would release every game across both the PS5 and PS6, but the PS5 would just become a 1080p console.

This way, PS5 would e supported fully into the tail end of the PS6 life, and would only stop being supported when the PS7 is released. So something like this.

• PS6 + PS7 = cross-compatible (full software support, PS5 software, and hardware support discontinued)
  • PS7 + PS8 = cross-compatible (full software support, PS6 software and hardware discontinued)

This way, sony would never start any new-gen from zero again, and the install base will steadily continue to rise. When PS6 comes along, a lot of people wanting to get the latest and greatest could just pas on their PS5s in the used market, and those consoles remain active and maintain full support for the entire lie of the PS6. Then people that didn't jump in on the PS6 from the PS5 can get the PS7..etc.

Isn't that said since some gens now, that this will be the last traditional console gen? Yes, sure, things change. Console gaming looks now different than at the time of the PS2 or the NES. And it will keep changing. Does that make things less traditional.

For your detailed prediction: isn't that what MS says about the first two years of XSX? I don't know if that will happen, but I doubt even if that happens, it will still be counted as tradititional. The strong direction towards digital consoles seems the bigger disruption to me.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

vivster said:
How is that different from the current situation except for Sony not admitting it is?

It is way different. What are you talking about?

vivster said:

smh...

this is sad.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
vivster said:

smh...

this is sad.

OK, now you lose me totally. In your thread start you describe the idea, that games for PS6 also play on PS5. Sony is partly doing it already for PS5→4. Vivster points that out and you say that is sad? Could you elaborate? Maybe you thread start was unclear and you meant something different?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Intrinsic said:

Isn't that said since some gens now, that this will be the last traditional console gen? Yes, sure, things change. Console gaming looks now different than at the time of the PS2 or the NES. And it will keep changing. Does that make things less traditional.

For your detailed prediction: isn't that what MS says about the first two years of XSX? I don't know if that will happen, but I doubt even if that happens, it will still be counted as tradititional. The strong direction towards digital consoles seems the bigger disruption to me.

Read it again, this is totally different from what anyone has done before. And MS can't even do it with this up coming-gen because the current gen is too low of a baseline. If MS wants to do this too, it can only start from the upcoming gen, along with sony.

With this approach, you can buy a PS5/XSX, and not have to buy the PS6/XSX2 at all for all 6yrs of the PS6/XSX2 life. Because your PS5/XSX would play every single game made on the PS6/XSX2. Every single one of them, just at a lower rez and framerate. Guaranteed universal first and third-party support. Then by the PS7/XSX3 12 years after you originally bought the PS5/XSX. Because only when the PS7/XSX3 comes out, will support for PS5/XSX be killed off.

Here's what I think: The PS6 will be based on quantum computing and project holographic images.

sounds like what nintendo did with the GC->wii

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
sounds like what nintendo did with the GC->wii

Could the GC play every game that the Wii had? If NO? then it's not what Nintendo did.

With the current state, New-gen starts, its maybe BC with the previous gen, and the previous-gen gets support for like a year or two. It basically will share the library of the new-gen to the tune of less than 10%.

With this theory of mine, new-gen comes out, and there is 100% forward and backward compatibility across the new console and the old one. For the entirety of the lie of the new console.

Basically, you would only "need/have to" buy a new console every other gen. Because if you buy a console you are guaranteed support for at least two gens vs one.