By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BOLD PREDICTION: PS5 to be the last traditional PS console.

Makes sense?

Yes, sounds brilliant 1 7.69%

No, you are crazy 10 76.92%

Yes, but you are still crazy 2 15.38%

Total:13
LordLichtenstein said:

With the tech (especially the SSD) inside PS5 it will be easy for Sony to do what you are describing. Instead of releasing a PS5 Pro in 3 years, they should simply wait another 2 years and then release the PS6 - which will run every PS5 game at 4K, 60FPS, with better textures and maybe with full ray tracing support - and every PS6 game will have lower resolution, framerates, textures and maybe half the ray tracing support on PS5.

Think PS4 and PS4 Pro, though with the PS6 being a much bigger leap.

I can't see how PS5 could possibly hold back a hypothetical PS6 in 2025. The limitting factor this generation - when talking about game design - was the extremely slow HDD. That won't be a problem from PS5 to PS6.

Yup. And the jaguar CPU. GPUs are very very scalable. At the end of the day what they are doing is coloring pixels. So the only real issues with stuff like this are IO, RAM and CPU.

We can see that there isn't a big jump in the RAMfront, we basically have a doubling of RAM, or more accurately, the active RAMsizeonly increased by 2.5x. We now actually have a decent CPU, and as far as I/O goes, I don't see whatever is in the PS being more than twice as fast as it's in the PS5.Its one of those areas where you just wouldn't need much more.

So my thinking is that the jump from PS5 to PS6 would be the smallest actual jump in console history. Like 1.5x to 2x the RAMwith focus shifting instead to RAMbandwidth, about 2x jump in CPU power, 4x jump in GPU power...etc. Those aren't things that to me warrants a whole new console or abandoning the old.

Around the Network

Not bold enough, but still wrong. They will keep doing crossgen for the first years so yes you`ll see some 1080-1440p for those crossgen, but then it would be cut.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
LordLichtenstein said:

With the tech (especially the SSD) inside PS5 it will be easy for Sony to do what you are describing. Instead of releasing a PS5 Pro in 3 years, they should simply wait another 2 years and then release the PS6 - which will run every PS5 game at 4K, 60FPS, with better textures and maybe with full ray tracing support - and every PS6 game will have lower resolution, framerates, textures and maybe half the ray tracing support on PS5.

Think PS4 and PS4 Pro, though with the PS6 being a much bigger leap.

I can't see how PS5 could possibly hold back a hypothetical PS6 in 2025. The limitting factor this generation - when talking about game design - was the extremely slow HDD. That won't be a problem from PS5 to PS6.

Yup. And the jaguar CPU. GPUs are very very scalable. At the end of the day what they are doing is coloring pixels. So the only real issues with stuff like this are IO, RAM and CPU.

We can see that there isn't a big jump in the RAMfront, we basically have a doubling of RAM, or more accurately, the active RAMsizeonly increased by 2.5x. We now actually have a decent CPU, and as far as I/O goes, I don't see whatever is in the PS being more than twice as fast as it's in the PS5.Its one of those areas where you just wouldn't need much more.

So my thinking is that the jump from PS5 to PS6 would be the smallest actual jump in console history. Like 1.5x to 2x the RAMwith focus shifting instead to RAMbandwidth, about 2x jump in CPU power, 4x jump in GPU power...etc. Those aren't things that to me warrants a whole new console or abandoning the old.

I completely agree. :)

PS7 ... think streaming will be commonplace by then and the need for a giant ass console under your TV will become more of a niche thing.

PS6 - Quantum computing

PS7- VR time machine

PS8 - God-like creation power (Book of Genesis)

Around the Network

I do think the PS5 could be the last traditional PS console but if that happens it would be due to streaming taking over.