By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

@Bristow9091

Ye, it was posted on Twitter.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Nautilus said:

You don't Don. You don't control them 100%. I know you dont like to give up on your arguments, but you simply dont control them like past FFs.

Mind you, it isn't necessarily bad. FF 7 Remake is a masterpiece in basically everything, but you dont control 100% the party(though I love that system), be it in FF 7 Remake or FF XV.

In the classic mode you control 100% and even on the hard you don`t control the regular attacks, but well you really need to control them with inputs that outpace turn based number of inputs because you really need to choose the actions.

But well after you learn to setup FF XII is better to use on most times.

Not only hard is only unlocked after playing the game once( so you cant go blindly into something that resembles more a tradicional turn based system), but also the action is still real time. So it's more a managment game, in which you need to keep switching between characters not only to use them, but to also get them out of harms way. It may be a great compromise between both styles, but its not turn based.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

hinch said:

Trailer in Japanese for you weebs out there.

This is the internet, not Japan. Can we please have a trailer in binary?

Kinneas14 said:
I really do not like where the series has been going in these past installments. After 12 it went all downhill...
Final Fantasy VII Sony Computer Entertainment N/A 9.6 9.5 9.72m 03rd Sep 97 23rd Mar 19
Final Fantasy X Square N/A 9.0 10.0 8.05m 17th Dec 01 N/A
Final Fantasy VIII Square EA N/A 9.4 N/A 7.86m 07th Sep 99 N/A
Final Fantasy XII Square Enix N/A 9.4 9.5 5.95m 31st Oct 06 N/A
Final Fantasy XIII
Read the review
Square Enix 9.0 8.0 9.2 5.35m 09th Mar 10 N/A
Final Fantasy IX Square N/A 9.2 N/A 5.30m 13th Nov 00 N/A
Final Fantasy X-2 Square Enix N/A 8.3 N/A 5.29m 18th Nov 03 N/A
Final Fantasy XV Square Enix N/A 8.1 9.5 5.07m 29th Nov 16 04th May 18
Final Fantasy III Square N/A 9.1 N/A 3.42m 20th Oct 94 N/A
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Read the review
Square Enix 8.5 8.1 9.0 3.19m 25th Mar 08 N/A

Yeah, and the sales reflect that most agree with you I guess. I've only ever played and beaten 9, which I really enjoyed.

Dulfite said:
Kinneas14 said:
I really do not like where the series has been going in these past installments. After 12 it went all downhill...
Final Fantasy VII Sony Computer Entertainment N/A 9.6 9.5 9.72m 03rd Sep 97 23rd Mar 19
Final Fantasy X Square N/A 9.0 10.0 8.05m 17th Dec 01 N/A
Final Fantasy VIII Square EA N/A 9.4 N/A 7.86m 07th Sep 99 N/A
Final Fantasy XII Square Enix N/A 9.4 9.5 5.95m 31st Oct 06 N/A
Final Fantasy XIII
Read the review
Square Enix 9.0 8.0 9.2 5.35m 09th Mar 10 N/A
Final Fantasy IX Square N/A 9.2 N/A 5.30m 13th Nov 00 N/A
Final Fantasy X-2 Square Enix N/A 8.3 N/A 5.29m 18th Nov 03 N/A
Final Fantasy XV Square Enix N/A 8.1 9.5 5.07m 29th Nov 16 04th May 18
Final Fantasy III Square N/A 9.1 N/A 3.42m 20th Oct 94 N/A
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Read the review
Square Enix 8.5 8.1 9.0 3.19m 25th Mar 08 N/A

Yeah, and the sales reflect that most agree with you I guess. I've only ever played and beaten 9, which I really enjoyed.

Incomplete info. Late 2019 FFXV was reported to be the forth best selling in the series. It is now most likely the third:

"FF7 - 19.1 million
FF14 - 10.9 million
FFX - 9.25 million
FF15 - 8.9 million
FF8 - 8.8 million
FF13 - 7.7 million

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69437/final-fantasy-xv-sells-over-8-9-million-copies/index.html

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
DonFerrari said:

In the classic mode you control 100% and even on the hard you don`t control the regular attacks, but well you really need to control them with inputs that outpace turn based number of inputs because you really need to choose the actions.

But well after you learn to setup FF XII is better to use on most times.

Not only hard is only unlocked after playing the game once( so you cant go blindly into something that resembles more a tradicional turn based system), but also the action is still real time. So it's more a managment game, in which you need to keep switching between characters not only to use them, but to also get them out of harms way. It may be a great compromise between both styles, but its not turn based.

Well classic is unlocked from start, but yes that isn`t a challenge at all, it only made the game dull. SE mentioned they understood and will look at making classic available in other difficulties as well. Same for hard it should be available from the start (but well it would be really hard to play on hard being lvl 1).

Yes it is real time so not turn based (except classic), but was talking about controlling your party. Unless I was mistaken he wasn`t complaining about it not being turn based but controlling the party (which we had to concede he was talking about 100% control all the time instead of being able to control all). But then we have to basically rewrite his complain.

Well I liked the battle system and the hard mode is quite deep and depending on strategy (even more on boss or avoiding deplenishing MP), but also liked the turn based and full action. Guess I`m easy to please plus we know the battle system always change from FF to FF.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Graphically it was underwhelming. But the game is so far away from release I don't think it would be an issue by then. Unless if SE decided to limit the budget for some reason.
Every thing else looks very promosing especially the setting.

Astral said:

Graphically it was underwhelming. But the game is so far away from release I don't think it would be an issue by then. Unless if SE decided to limit the budget for some reason.
Every thing else looks very promosing especially the setting.

So far mainline FF have been very strong on graphics so yes by launch I believe it will be fine as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I like the medieval setting, though maybe it looked a little bit too generic (however, I feel that there will be locations which are more "whimsical" outside the parts they showed). Since the DMC/Dragon's Dogma battle designer is on board, I think the battle system may end up being actually good (I wonder if there'll be a commands menu). However, I fear that you won't be able to control the rest of the party, or even worse, that there won't be a party at all (though I must admit that the latter concern is a little bit too overdramatic :P). The graphics, and especially the character models, look kinda rough but it will surely get a lot of polishing.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 16 September 2020

Looked like it was influenced a lot by the Witcher, so if you liked that game yay for you I guess. I was kind of meh on it.

The medieval setting is fine, but I don't feel like it's done in a unique way. Again, it's more like Witcher which is clearly influenced by Game of Thrones. I don't like the one character thing as opposed to having a party, and the combat looked to drift even further towards the action part of action RPG.

Again, not bad things if you like those types of games, but not what I'm looking for in a Final Fantasy game.