By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Which is better?

Alien 3 14 58.33%

Alien Resurrection 10 41.67%

Total:24

Alien 3 is the superior of the two, but that's not saying much. Both are much weaker than the first two films.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Alien 3 

Alien 3 is a decent enough watch. Alien Resurrection is terrible.

Alien Resurrection is still fine, better than what came after it in the franchise, though not great. Alien 3 is kind of good, I like Alien 3. I mean it’s obviously no Alien and Aliens, but it’s still thrilling to watch with a good storyline and characters.

CaptainExplosion said:
I haven't scene Alien Resurrection, but I imagine it can't be nearly as bad as Alien 3 or Prometheus.

You lack imagination then. 

Around the Network

How about a sharp stick in the eye instead?

Shadow1980 said:

Alien 3, by far. For all its flaws, from the "happy ending override" to the downer ending to all the production issues that plagued it, it still manages to be a tense, atmospheric film that brings back the horror elements of the original, and it had a solid score from Elliot Goldenthal. David Fincher still manages to show his directing chops despite all the executive meddling. The "assembly cut" also adds some scenes that to me makes the film better.

Resurrection, on the other hand, was just plain weird. The titular xenomorphs didn't have the... I guess "presence" is the appropriate word... that they had in previous films. They were just kinda there to bump off a bunch of extras and a couple of main characters, and though they brought back the Queen Alien she had maybe a minute of screen time. The focus was more on the genetic engineering part and the hybrids, including Ripley 8 and the "Newborn." Also, unlike the first three films the visual effects haven't aged well despite being the most recent of the original four films (90s-era CGI usually doesn't hold up well). The film is saved by some decent performances, including the always enjoyable Ron Perlman as tough guy Johner, but overall it's just an incredibly mediocre film.

I always find it amazing that Alien 3 turned out as good as it did after reading about how much of an absolute clusterfuck its production was.