By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Showcase - Wednesday Sept 16

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

This sounds like damage control. You can’t say “we believe in generations”, show games only on PS5 and then low key slip in that they are cross gen. It makes sense, how a new install base can possibly make as much profit as a base of 110 million...but that’s not the point. Sony positioned themselves as the traditional alternative to MSs “leave nobody behind” approach. And now they are arguably worse offenders then Xbox. 

The difference between what Sony and MS are doing is that MS is transparent from the start where as Sony is being shady. Sure people like us are informed. But that damage is done and many casuals get a false message. 

You going on a nice rant saying they adapted and it’s for the greater good. That’s nice and all but what about all the flak Xbox got for their cross gen initiative? We just gonna forget about that and pretend PS fans weren’t smug and elitist? Narratives change on a dime and this is no exception. I’d appreciate you at least own up to it before you accept Sony doing a MeToo of what Xbox is doing. 

But I didn't say that. Sony did, then they changed as they realized they wouldn't be able to get as many consoles out there as initially thought. I always thought it was dumb to just cut off the generation right at the launch date by not having some games cross gen. It's not damage control, it's good business. it's what they should have done all along. some exclusive to next gen, some cross gen. That's logical. 

It sounds less like Sony fucked up and more like folks like you will twist anything to make a good decision look bad because tribalism and other nonsense. 

As I said there's a world of difference between Microsoft's 'next gen doesn't mean much, everything for the first two years is cross gen' and Sony's 'we want next gen to mean something, so we're making games that are exclusive to next gen and can only be had with the new hardward but some stuff is going to be cross gen since we know a lot of people won't have PS5 consoles in the first year'. It's easy to twist it, and I guess we'll see who's right when the sales come out, won't we? 

oh, wait. PS5 is sold out everywhere within minutes and I can still get an Xbox Series X or S at my local gamestop (They tried offering). So yeah, do all the mental gymnastics you want, Sony's doing it right. If they weren't...they'd have the hype levels of Xbox right now.

I get it, you a individual and aren’t part of the pack mentality that did in fact take great pleasure ripping on Xbox cross gen games (thinking Sony wouldn’t dare do the same). I think I have a right to call people out, but if it doesn’t apply to you then np it shouldn’t register to you anyway. 

I’m not saying what Sony did isn’t good for business. It’s literally what Xbox philosophy is so I really can’t complain. I’m just happy they destroyed their legions of fans only real narrative against Xbox. Of course they will still sell more, that wasn’t what I am referring to. 

Btw I see people allready called you out on the Xbox preorder thing, you should have known better and seen the date Xbox announced preorders would begin.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Seriously, Stop harassing me. The manager lied to me, not the other way around. Maybe he was joking and I misread it. All I know is that he offered me an Xbox Series X since nobody wanted them.

Intrinsic said:

I also find it strange no one seems to be talking about the 19 games you get with the PS+ collection that basically all cost a PS+ subscription.

Yeah I was going to say this as well. People who have an active PS Plus sub gets a crap load of 'free' games to play on PS5

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Until Dawn

Granted I already played most of them, there's a couple like Days Gone and Resident Evil 7 that I'm gonna play as a bonus. Its insane for people who haven't played most of those games or are looking to jump in on PS if you missed out on those.

hinch said:
Lets be honest here, Sony ripped Xbox a new one in terms of upcoming games. Especially next year. I still can't believe GoW is coming next year... fully expecting a delay on this one.

Naaaa... games don't matter. Neither does how good they look. What matters is that 30% of those games are cross-gen. Now there is no reason to buy a PS5. 

Look at the topics/posts trying to downplay this from the usual suspects lol. Oh well they can play mind games, we'll just play video games.

sales2099 said:

I get it, you a individual and aren’t part of the pack mentality that did in fact take great pleasure ripping on Xbox cross gen games (thinking Sony wouldn’t dare do the same). I think I have a right to call people out, but if it doesn’t apply to you then np it shouldn’t register to you anyway. 

I’m not saying what Sony did isn’t good for business. It’s literally what Xbox philosophy is so I really can’t complain. I’m just happy they destroyed their legions of fans only real narrative against Xbox. Of course they will still sell more, that wasn’t what I am referring to. 

Btw I see people allready called you out on the Xbox preorder thing, you should have known better and seen the date Xbox announced preorders would begin.

yeah I feel pretty dumb for not knowing better. The more I play it in my head it's kinda clear I misheard him. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

This is one spicy thread with a pinch of salt mixed in

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
0D0 said:

Agreed. The idea was to move on, but now we've got all those exclusive games on PS4.

I'm not upset tho. I'll probably play them on PS4.

Exactly. As much as I'm a PS fan, the idea of trying out the new Xbox (with better pre-order period) instead of jumping the PS4 ship seems very reasonable. Besides, there isn't many games that excited me, except GoW and FF.

I'll sleep on it, but high chance I'll be preordering an Xbox.

Full disclosure: I tried to secure a PS5 order, but no success.

So you will not buy a PS5 because 3 out of its 9 first-year games are cross-gen... but now have more reason to get an Xbox where al its games are cross-gen?

Not knocking your choices, just suggesting that you at least be consistent.

Says who? Grounded and Halo Infinite, and Psychonauts 2. Forza Horizon 5 is a maybe (not announced yet). 3 games. 

Flight Sim, Everwild, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3, Forza Motorsport are not cross gen. That’s just 1st party i won’t list the 3rd party ones that aren’t cross gen. 

Just making it clear for you. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 17 September 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

Yes at the core my issue is with the messaging. That and people pretending there’s no double standard here now that Sony threw their fans a curve ball. They clearly led people on and a lot of people suddenly went quiet that were not long ago ripping on Xbox for doing cross gen games. 

No need for lists, Xbox also has cross gen and fully next gen games in development. But I stand by when MS made it clear that they would do cross gen games at the start and taper off. Sony just pulled the rug out. 

Sorry man but everyone saying how Horizon would not only look better but would have worlds and whatever designed natively around the PS5, which would set it apart from Xbox cross gen. Now it’s no better, it is being built around the base PS4, even if they showed a pretty trailer compared to Halo (honestly 343 is more at fault then anything, it’s human error on their part imo). 

Fair enough... I too have a problem with sony's messaging. And I have been saying that since hat march event. Like how do you fuck up something a simple as "our system has BC for 99% of allPS4 games"? 

As far as the cross-gen thing, I don't have an issue with why they are doing it, but admit that if they went about it differently and was clear from the time when they announced those games none of this would have happened. I mean how hard is it, back in June all they had to do in addition to what they did was just say, fr HZFW and SM:MM we are still considering having PS4 versions but its not finalized yet. And done...that's it. Then add everything else is definitely going to be PS5 exclusive though.

I just have an issue with this narrative that sony somehow misled or lied o people, they didn't, they said they believe in generations, they never said they would not release a single I on the PS4 post PS5 release. And what they have done now is technically true to what they said, just not as clean... and there is no excuse on that, its messaging thing. Further ore, his is actually what sony has always done, they did release GT6 for the PS3 a month after the PS4 released anyways.

I would have considered this misleading if right up to launch they kept quiet, then you just see PS4 listings for those games on the PS store.

sales2099 said:
Intrinsic said:

So you will not buy a PS5 because 3 out of its 9 first-year games are cross-gen... but now have more reason to get an Xbox where al its games are cross-gen?

Not knocking your choices, just suggesting that you at least be consistent.

Says who? Grounded and Halo Infinite, and Psychonauts 2. Forza Horizon 5 is a maybe (not announced yet). 3 games. 

Flight Sim, Everwild, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3, Forza Motorsport are not cross gen. That’s just 1st party i won’t list the 3rd party ones that aren’t cross gen. 

Just making it clear for you. 

you...really can't say 'Forza Horizon 5 (Not announced yet)' and assume it has any weight in either direction. You also don't know anything about the other games. Everything you're saying here is conjecture. If not, care to cite your sources? Has Microsoft confirmed, say, Everwild is an XSX exclusive and not cross-gen? 

Because Sony did clarify that Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank were definitely next-gen exclusive. They've confirmed Spider-Man and Horizon are cross gen.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Intrinsic said:
sales2099 said:

Yes at the core my issue is with the messaging. That and people pretending there’s no double standard here now that Sony threw their fans a curve ball. They clearly led people on and a lot of people suddenly went quiet that were not long ago ripping on Xbox for doing cross gen games. 

No need for lists, Xbox also has cross gen and fully next gen games in development. But I stand by when MS made it clear that they would do cross gen games at the start and taper off. Sony just pulled the rug out. 

Sorry man but everyone saying how Horizon would not only look better but would have worlds and whatever designed natively around the PS5, which would set it apart from Xbox cross gen. Now it’s no better, it is being built around the base PS4, even if they showed a pretty trailer compared to Halo (honestly 343 is more at fault then anything, it’s human error on their part imo). 

Fair enough... I too have a problem with sony's messaging. And I have been saying that since hat march event. Like how do you fuck up something a simple as "our system has BC for 99% of allPS4 games"? 

As far as the cross-gen thing, I don't have an issue with why they are doing it, but admit that if they went about it differently and was clear from the time when they announced those games none of this would have happened. I mean how hard is it, back in June all they had to do in addition to what they did was just say, fr HZFW and SM:MM we are still considering having PS4 versions but its not finalized yet. And done...that's it. Then add everything else is definitely going to be PS5 exclusive though.

I just have an issue with this narrative that sony somehow misled or lied o people, they didn't, they said they believe in generations, they never said they would not release a single I on the PS4 post PS5 release. And what they have done now is technically true to what they said, just not as clean... and there is no excuse on that, its messaging thing. Further ore, his is actually what sony has always done, they did release GT6 for the PS3 a month after the PS4 released anyways.

I would have considered this misleading if right up to launch they kept quiet, then you just see PS4 listings for those games on the PS store.

Wait PS5 isn’t BC with all PS4 games now? That aside I think we can agree Sony is being a little sneaky not disclosing the PS4 versions at the start.

I will say I realize it was more the fans and not Sony that ran with the narrative and now have to roll back. 

Intrinsic said:
sales2099 said:

People will twist anything. Keep calling them out on it, maybe reason will prevail but I doubt it. My mantra that I've stuck to since coining it is that the right but complicated answer is not easy to believe, but the wrong, easy answer is. 

Dumb shit is easier to propagate than the truth. Putting in the effort to ensure your sources are legit and external factors are considered and nuance is understood is too much for most people so they go with the reductive, binary interpretation of the issue. Sad but true. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX