By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I think the best is...

Alien 23 46.00%

Aliens 27 54.00%

Total:50
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I find it very hard to choose myself as they both so fantastic in very different ways; Alien for its atmosphere and dread, Aliens for its pacing and excitement.

Beyond those two, I actually think Alien 3, though flawed, is underrated. Everything after that though is bad in my opinion.

I haven't watched the original cut of Alien 3, but I've seen the ending and based on that alone I think it warrants a lot of criticism. Besides, the movie kinda shits completely on the ending of Aliens, which is a beloved movie, for the sake of creating another dread-filled movie more akin to the first one. Personally, I really like it as I prefer that style of Alien movie, but it's not really the right way to handle an ongoing series.

The way it screws the ending of Aliens is definitely a flaw that it is rightly criticized for, but I still feel it's effective in creating a powerful atmosphere, an interesting setting, and an entertaining group of characters. I feel like we kinda agree in that it was a bad way to handle an ongoing series but taken on its own merits its still a good movie.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:

I haven't watched the original cut of Alien 3, but I've seen the ending and based on that alone I think it warrants a lot of criticism. Besides, the movie kinda shits completely on the ending of Aliens, which is a beloved movie, for the sake of creating another dread-filled movie more akin to the first one. Personally, I really like it as I prefer that style of Alien movie, but it's not really the right way to handle an ongoing series.

The way it screws the ending of Aliens is definitely a flaw that it is rightly criticized for, but I still feel it's effective in creating a powerful atmosphere, an interesting setting, and an entertaining group of characters. I feel like we kinda agree in that it was a bad way to handle an ongoing series but taken on its own merits its still a good movie.

Pretty much, but again, that's when considering the assembly cut. Or at least that's what I'm considering here, because it's the one I watched. And given that version only came out several years later, yeah, people probably didn't bother going back after being disappointed with the original cut.

i think the second one was def better
same with spiderman 2
uncharted 2
lord of the rings two towers

haha 2 is better than 1

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty much, but again, that's when considering the assembly cut. Or at least that's what I'm considering here, because it's the one I watched. And given that version only came out several years later, yeah, people probably didn't bother going back after being disappointed with the original cut.

I've seen both cuts but can't for the life of me remember which is which haha

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

One ends with Ripley sacrificing herself, the other ends with her getting killed by the baby alien.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

One ends with Ripley sacrificing herself, the other ends with her getting killed by the baby alien.

Well, she sacrifices herself either way, it's just a matter of whether it bursts before she reaches the fire, and yeah I know the differences, like the missing sequence where the Alien is trapped then freed, and it coming from either a dog or a cow, but i can't remember which was the original release and which was made available later in the DVD release.

curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:

Well, she sacrifices herself either way, it's just a matter of whether it bursts before she reaches the fire, and yeah I know the differences, like the missing sequence where the Alien is trapped then freed, and it coming from either a dog or a cow, but i can't remember which was the original release and which was made available later in the DVD release.

To be honest I don't really know what exactly are the differences other than the ending, I read that the assembly cut is the closest thing they have to the director's original vision before the studio interference drove him away, and so that's what I decided to watch.

I remembered the alien bursting out before she threw herself, which isn't the case, but still, adding that to the scene that ends the movie and Ripley's character was just... in really poor taste.

I really like both! Between them though... if you asked me 25 years ago when I was a teen, I would've said Aliens was the better film, but these days I find the original a little more to my liking. Like others have said, there's more of a character arc in the original. I just feel like the tonal difference between Alien and Aliens is a kind of microcosm for the difference between filmmaking generally in the '70s versus in the '80s. The '70s was among the best decades for American filmmaking in my opinion overall, alongside the 1920s. The Hollywood studio system had bankrupted itself in the 1960s and given way to smaller-budget projects by a new, angsty generation of movie-makers. The result, even in the case of many spectacles like Alien, was more earnestness and down-to-Earthness (so to speak!) than has typically been the case in major movie-making. The characters often struck one one as more dynamic and believable. From the '80s, we all too often got more glitz and less multi-dimensionality.

Off-topic but the discussions here reminded me of this little gem. It's a highly recommended watch to any fans of the original film.

Ironically enough even though I like Aliens more, when comparing both "making of" features this one stands out more for me. The story of how we got the movie is just so interesting. The fact that it became such a hit in theaters is so unusual for the genre. People knew they had something unique going on :D

After much agonized deliberation, I finally cast my vote for Aliens, mostly cos it's just that little bit more rewatchable. Still love them both though.