By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 23 to 29

Switch Lite launched September 20 last year. From that point on we will see if Switch sells better than last year.

Around the Network

NS domination again
PS4 acceptable WW and a little up from last week, with Japan numbers improving from "humiliating" to "sad". Maybe one more k and they could upgrade from "sad" to "sad panda".

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

curl-6 said:

I don't think the 3D All Stars collection will be a system seller to be honest as the vast majority of Nintendo fans already played them and it's targeted more at existing Nintendo fans wanting to relive fond memories, and that category of folks pretty much all have a Switch already.

That said, the week will likely see a bump as Nintendo tends to hold onto and release new stock to accompany major releases, and Switch sales are pretty much entirely dictated by stock availability for the time being.

Going to laugh my ass off when they sell 500,000+ units of hardware that week.  This is completely a system seller.

Nintendo with the Switch:

curl-6 said:

I don't think the 3D All Stars collection will be a system seller to be honest as the vast majority of Nintendo fans already played them and it's targeted more at existing Nintendo fans wanting to relive fond memories, and that category of folks pretty much all have a Switch already.

That said, the week will likely see a bump as Nintendo tends to hold onto and release new stock to accompany major releases, and Switch sales are pretty much entirely dictated by stock availability for the time being.

I think you are downplaying nostalgia a little and how big Nintendo's target audience can be. Many people played 64 when they were young, SS or Galaxy. Them coming back in a package together in HD is glorious. It was trending all day yesterday on Twitter and youtube, i'm sure it will have a pretty good impact on sales, mostly during christmas.

xMetroid said:
curl-6 said:

I think you are downplaying nostalgia a little and how big Nintendo's target audience can be. Many people played 64 when they were young, SS or Galaxy. Them coming back in a package together in HD is glorious. It was trending all day yesterday on Twitter and youtube, i'm sure it will have a pretty good impact on sales, mostly during christmas.

64/Sunshine/Galaxy have been widely available since launch via not only native hardware but also backwards compatibility, Virtual Console, and emulation; plus if you have a powerful nostalgia for Mario, the kind that can compel you to spend $360 USD, you'd almost certainly already own a Switch for its many other Mario games. Far more people own a Switch than ever owned a 64 or a Gamecube, and the folks who love and grew up with Mario jumped aboard long ago.

Like I say though, Switch sells pretty all that it ships these days, supply is pretty much the sole factor in sell-through, and the week it comes out Nintendo will release a bunch of stock as they nearly always do for a major software release, so the week will have a hardware spike.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 September 2020

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
NS domination again
PS4 acceptable WW and a little up from last week, with Japan numbers improving from "humiliating" to "sad". Maybe one more k and they could upgrade from "sad" to "sad panda".

Japanese market still much important to Sony forget. The second market in size.

Lost the Japanese market entire, then go to Asia. It's not a market isolated.

Sony really strong in Europe.  Have the monopoly of the Middle East Market too. And have better distribution chain in another market, likewise minor countries, but if PS5 sony lost de Japanese market entirely (sales below 5M), sony will suffers lost in all Asia region. 

Agente42 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
NS domination again

Japanese market still much important to Sony forget. The second market in size.

Lost the Japanese market entire, then go to Asia. It's not a market isolated.

Sony really strong in Europe.  Have the monopoly of the Middle East Market too. And have better distribution chain in another market, likewise minor countries, but if PS5 sony lost de Japanese market entirely (sales below 5M), sony will suffers lost in all Asia region. 

Agree. Sony maybe forgets that Japan helped the PS brand becoming great WW too, just like it did with Ninty, that OTOH never forgets it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I do genuinely wonder how relevant PS5 will ultimately be in Japan.

I'm sure they'll moneyhat some games to try to boost their appeal there, but to what extent that will help is doubtful given that mainline Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest couldn't bring PS4 up to PS3 numbers.

curl-6 said:

Not this again. Vast majority of Nintendo fans already bought a switch to play smash in 2018.

Vast majority of pokemon fans already bought a switch to play Pokémon in 2019.

Most Nintendo fans already own a switch. Animal Crossing won’t move consoles in 2020. It will fall off a cliff.

That cliff is fast slowly never approaching....lol

BlackBeauty said:
curl-6 said:

Not this again. Vast majority of Nintendo fans already bought a switch to play smash in 2018.

Vast majority of pokemon fans already bought a switch to play Pokémon in 2019.

Most Nintendo fans already own a switch. Animal Crossing won’t move consoles in 2020. It will fall off a cliff.

That cliff is fast slowly never approaching....lol

I never said anything about a cliff. Switch sales are going to remain strong for a long time to come.