By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct

Also, the Mario Kart Live thing is just another confirmation to me they don't have any intention of a MK9 anytime soon. Really don't see that until the Switch successor.

Around the Network

So Gonintendo is reporting that motions controls are option for Galaxy, which means I no longer have anything to worry about for this collection. Just 15 more days

Kinda wished 3d world released sooner. But I'm definitely getting 3d all stars and the 3d world port when it releases. and yes I own and have played all those games already.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Also I know I'm going to come off like a crotchety guy, but the fact that they didn't celebrate with a Mario Maker event or update at all is very sad to me, feels like the final fuck you to me personally as a human being. Yea they didn't really do that with Paper Mario, but I think that's more understandable because that's not a live service game (yea I hate myself for calling Mario Maker that too don't worry). 

I haven't watched the video yet, so I don't know if it was announced there or just separately on the website.  There are some in-game events coming.

From the Nintendo website:

A 35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedrun course is coming to Super Mario Maker 2 game, along with a special Super Smash Bros. Ultimate online tournament and Super Mario-themed Splatoon 2 Splatfest.

More info coming soon!

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

If Nintendo doesn’t have a November game I wonder why they didn’t just throw SM3DW up there

Around the Network

I thought this Mario Direct was awesome, because it had some very cool suprises in it.  Everyone was focused on the Mario Collection, but I think that was one of the least impressive parts on this Direct.  (I don't plan to get it, btw.)

Mario 3D World is one of the better 3D Marios, so I liked that it is getting more content.  I will very likely buy.  Mario Kart Live looks cool.  I love the concept, but I need to find out more details.  It is a very likely buy assuming there are no deal breakers in the details.

The real star of this Direct for me was Super Mario 35.  That looks fun as hell.  I thought Tetris 99 was a good idea, but I've always been far more into Mario than Tetris.  I think Nintendo is underestimating just how popular this is going to be.  This might end up being the most popular game in the entire Direct.  The main thing holding it back is the whole "for a limited time" thing.  I'm hoping they will see how popular it is and realize the error of their ways.  I really think people are going to like this even more than Tetris 99.

The Mario Kart thing is great. Not for me, but if I were a kid I'd have loved it.

All Stars is a little underwhelming for me. I would have liked a full on modernization. 60 dollars is a bit steep for me for 3 games.

3D World is great for those who didn't own the Wii U. Incredibly underrated game. I actually like it better than Odyssey. But as someone who did own a Wii U, it's hard to get too excited. Personally I'd prefer it if Bowser's Rage or w/e either didn't exist or is sold as a stand alone. The other Wii U ports didn't add anything that made me feel like I was missing out for not purchasing.

Mario 35 is interesting. Never got into these battle royale things that are all the rage. Seems to chaotic for me. But, if it's free, I'll check it out. Not sure why it's limited time.

Game and Watch thing is a really near collectible. Dunno if it's neat enough for 50 bucks.

Most interesting thing to me is that they're dropping this only a few weeks after the announcement. That seems to be Nintendo's new strategy in general. Dunno if it's still a corona thing or that's just what they do now. September release date makes me sort of hopeful that something bigger will be announced for the holidays, and I can't figure out what that might be. Of course, it could be nothing. Nintendo is strange these days.

I believe the Wii when they came out with the Super Mario Al Stars collection came out as a limited game initially, and than we got a Nintendo selects cheaper version later on. The 35 player Mario game looks awesome, but I wish it was available longer than March. I'm intrigued by that Mario Kart thing. Mario Galaxy 2 has to be coming at some point, it makes no sense that it will be the only console mainline Mario game not on the Switch. Overall I'm excited to be playing Mario Sunshine once again after all these years.

Nintendo, where is my 2D AAA Mario Bros? 

I have been looking to buy a used copy of Sunshine recently, but the prices varies between 45$CAN and 120$CAN everywhere I looked, getting the other games for 80$ seems a good deal.