By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Attitudes 100 years since women's suffrage

vivster said:
Fixing women's issues is too much micro management for me. The root of all discrimination issues in social settings is genderism, so that's what we should tackle instead of just treating symptoms. The goal shouldn't be to treat two distinct groups the same, but to accept that the groups aren't distinct and have equality by default. True gender equality will only arrive if we remove genders, starting with by not identifying as a specific gender.

Sometimes you need to aknowledge differences between groups and treat people differently for them to in fact be treated equally. Removing the two genders solves nothing.

Around the Network

I live in a country where women tend to be treated as lesser, but in general they are much happier than the men. While the pay gap is astronomical, money does not always equal happiness.

And I think happiness is a much better thing to have. I think the big picture is never looked at when it comes to these things.

Farsala said:
I live in a country where women tend to be treated as lesser, but in general they are much happier than the men. While the pay gap is astronomical, money does not always equal happiness.

And I think happiness is a much better thing to have. I think the big picture is never looked at when it comes to these things.

Is it your subjective opinion that they are happier, or is there some kind of evidence for that? Are they happier than women in other countries where women have greater rights? How are they treated as lesser besides in terms of pay?

JWeinCom said:
Farsala said:

Is it your subjective opinion that they are happier, or is there some kind of evidence for that? Are they happier than women in other countries where women have greater rights? How are they treated as lesser besides in terms of pay?

There have been tons of studies on it. I am not sure if they are happier than western women, but the gap in happiness between the men and women is larger than western countries, IE: they are much happier on average.

Basically, have kids? No more job growth. Go home and take care of the house and kids.

Farsala said:
JWeinCom said:

There have been tons of studies on it. I am not sure if they are happier than western women, but the gap in happiness between the men and women is larger than western countries, IE: they are much happier on average.

Basically, have kids? No more job growth. Go home and take care of the house and kids.

When I asked for evidence I wasn't looking for a yes or no, but for the actual evidence. Lol.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
JWeinCom said:

Given how great it is to stay home, clean, and take care of kids when are you planning to transition to a house husband/dad? 

JRPGfan said:

Jaicee said:

-Different expectations society has for women and men.

The man works to provide, and the woman races the family.
In denmark because of our social security net, child care, and schooling ect are all taken care off.
This means alot of women are actually in the work force (compaired to most other countries).
Why not? Why shouldn't women work too? So I'm all for this.  

That is great to read about childcare.

This is the biggest issue I see in Australia for women in terms of work equality. Childcare is so expensive and it basically forces the woman to stay home. Or one parent I guess, if you want to swing that way after the baby is a little old and isn't so dependent on the mother for milk.

The maternity leave is great here, but that essentially is a job protection measure to allow a woman to go back to their job (where as in past you would quit and have nothing to go back to), however does not solve a huge financial burden, which is childcare and which eventually forces many women to just quit their job anyway.

I am dumb founded how the government always says there is jobs out there and want people to work, yet they are holding professional women back at home. Usually when you have one child, you tend to have another shortly their after so they have a sibling. By that time a woman has significantly been out of work.

By the time they are ready to go back to work (when kids have gone to school), their skill sets have diminished. they feel worthless mentally as they know less than their work counterparts about the latest things at work. 

Now we have childcare subsidies, however they decrease as you earn more money. When you paying of a mortgage, higher tax rates, other additional taxes, private health it makes it hard to pay for childcare if you are a professional couple, if you want both to continue working. For some reason the government would rather subsidise  the people who don't want to work (yes there are people that admit that proudly). If they don't want to work they are already at home, take care of your kids.

As far as the government is concerned they should look at it from an accounting and future prospects perspective.

• What will they get best bang for their buck spent.
  • A person that is willing to work and has a job, make sure they are back working ASAP as they pay taxes, which well pays for whatever the hell the government pretends they spend it on
  • Subsidise their childcare because you know that child will become a tax payer, because their parents will teach that child those values 

Torillian said:
Farsala said:

Given how great it is to stay home, clean, and take care of kids when are you planning to transition to a house husband/dad? 

Tbh, I would love that (at least I think I would but reality is often different than you expect). Not saying women should be forced into it, but some people might prefer it.

JWeinCom said:
Torillian said:

Tbh, I would love that (at least I think I would but reality is often different than you expect). Not saying women should be forced into it, but some people might prefer it.

That's true, some of either gender will want that. But everyone should have the option. Given the concept that "women are treated as lesser but they like it that way" I'm just curious whether or not Fasala has ever taken his own advice and foregone a career and financial independence for the sake of the simpler life of a house dad. 

kirby007 said:
can you imagine being a black woman

Can you imagine being a black woman in Russia or China?