By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Attitudes 100 years since women's suffrage

JRPGfan said:
Hiku said:

Was referring to how they can be frozen and then be used to inseminate millions of eggs over time, but yeah.

What would be the point though? you could have 1 man, fertilies all women on the earth.
What do all the other men do with their sperm then? :p

Too much sperm, not enough eggs.... and a earth thats already over populated.
plus genetically I think its best that we mix and match alot, rather than have like 1 donar get all the offspring of the world.

The point is that it ignores realistic circumstances in order to be provocative.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
JRPGfan said:

What would be the point though? you could have 1 man, fertilies all women on the earth.
What do all the other men do with their sperm then? :p

Too much sperm, not enough eggs.... and a earth thats already over populated.
plus genetically I think its best that we mix and match alot, rather than have like 1 donar get all the offspring of the world.

The point is that it ignores realistic circumstances in order to be provocative.

Then Im all for it :)

Duflite's word usage of "killing babies in their wombs" was bad enough, so its only fair.
Like I said, its a silly argument against abortion (imo).

What state in the US was it that wanted to remove it again?

Man the US isnt the dream like wonderland hollywood depicted in my youth in movies.
More and more (esp these last few years), the US looks like a horrible place to live.
Its crazy how much my opinion on the matter changed over the years, when I was younger I totally bought into the hollywood version of the US.
Reality is a very differnt place.

JRPGfan said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
There's always some work to do.

While here in Luxembourg, the difference between how men and women are treated legally is null ( which also cuts both ways in this case. For instance, they don't have any legal advantage anymore when it comes to who gets the kids in a divorce or who has to provide financially for their ex-partner) and socially it's very slim, but the same is sadly still not true for their wages where men gain around 5% more than their female counterparts for the exact same work done. And interestingly enough, most companies who have the biggest gap in gender pay are American or Asian corporations, the gap is much smaller in European corporations or smaller companies.

Thankfully, more and more women are ascending to leadership positions, so the gap should wither away over time, at least partially.

As a side note, I think that having an openly gay prime minister who married to another guy certainly also had a good effect on the acceptance and image of LGBTQ+ people in Luxembourg. Their legal protection is now almost the same as for men and women (there are some legal questions on childcare that need to be ironed out) and employers can't refuse you for your sexual orientation/identity, though more elder and/or religious people still tend to have problems accepting this reality.

I didn't even know, that luxenbourg had a gay prime minister.
In denmark, Im pretty sure we have a gay and lesbian minister or two, but so far not a prime minister (i'm not sure, we might have had one).
We have plenty of women as prime minsters though.

On the other hand, it shouldn't even matter.
I think denmark is accepting enough, that if we had a candiated that was pointed at to be the next prime minster, him/her being gay/lesbian or whatnot, wouldnt matter either here.

I think that goes for all of Scandinavia- except Sweden: https://satwcomic.com/the-odd-man-out

vivster said:
Fixing women's issues is too much micro management for me. The root of all discrimination issues in social settings is genderism, so that's what we should tackle instead of just treating symptoms. The goal shouldn't be to treat two distinct groups the same, but to accept that the groups aren't distinct and have equality by default. True gender equality will only arrive if we remove genders, starting with by not identifying as a specific gender.

Sometimes you need to aknowledge differences between groups and treat people differently for them to in fact be treated equally. Removing the two genders solves nothing.

Hiku said:
Dulfite said:
women should be able to murder babies in their womb

The framing is about as genuine as saying men want to sentence rape victims to death in child labor complications.
Or that male masturbation is genocide.

There is a whole debate surrounding the distinction between an embryo, fetus, and a sentient baby, and the effects of unwanted pregnancies that go beyond just an inconvenience.
Not sure if Jaicee wants it to start in her thread about women's suffrage. But please don't go out of your way to provoke it.

Woman A: 5 months pregnant decides "Hey i dont want this baby no more, im going for an abortion".

Woman b: 5 months pregnant only found out she is pregnant after rape decides "im going to keep the baby and put it up for adaption" or "Im going for an abortion"

Woman C: 5 months pregnant has complications her own life is at risk decides "I cant keep the baby"

Woman A and B-C are not the same case. Woman A should no longer have that right once it goes past an amount of time. as that is killing a baby for the sake of just doing it.

Around the Network

I live in a country where women tend to be treated as lesser, but in general they are much happier than the men. While the pay gap is astronomical, money does not always equal happiness.

And I think happiness is a much better thing to have. I think the big picture is never looked at when it comes to these things.

Farsala said:
I live in a country where women tend to be treated as lesser, but in general they are much happier than the men. While the pay gap is astronomical, money does not always equal happiness.

And I think happiness is a much better thing to have. I think the big picture is never looked at when it comes to these things.

Is it your subjective opinion that they are happier, or is there some kind of evidence for that? Are they happier than women in other countries where women have greater rights? How are they treated as lesser besides in terms of pay?

JWeinCom said:
Farsala said:

Is it your subjective opinion that they are happier, or is there some kind of evidence for that? Are they happier than women in other countries where women have greater rights? How are they treated as lesser besides in terms of pay?

There have been tons of studies on it. I am not sure if they are happier than western women, but the gap in happiness between the men and women is larger than western countries, IE: they are much happier on average.

Basically, have kids? No more job growth. Go home and take care of the house and kids.

Farsala said:
JWeinCom said:

There have been tons of studies on it. I am not sure if they are happier than western women, but the gap in happiness between the men and women is larger than western countries, IE: they are much happier on average.

Basically, have kids? No more job growth. Go home and take care of the house and kids.

When I asked for evidence I wasn't looking for a yes or no, but for the actual evidence. Lol.

Farsala said:
JWeinCom said:

Given how great it is to stay home, clean, and take care of kids when are you planning to transition to a house husband/dad?