By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lord of the Ring: Gollum loses next-gen exclusive status, gets PS4/XB1/Switch versions

I find the art style off putting, if I'm being honest. Golem is one of my least favorite characters in LOTR, so this doesn't interest me. I'm just concerned people will stop making games in Middle Earth if this doesn't sell well. Hopefully that isn't the case.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I find the art style off putting, if I'm being honest. Golem is one of my least favorite characters in LOTR, so this doesn't interest me. I'm just concerned people will stop making games in Middle Earth if this doesn't sell well. Hopefully that isn't the case.

I don't think you have to worry about that. This game isn't made by WB, it's made by Daedalic who licensed the rights directly from the Tolkien estate (which is why Gollum's design is off-putting, only WB has the rights to use Gollum's movie likeness). Even if this game flops, there is no reason why WB would stop making LOTR games, Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War both sold well, and the Shadow of War DLC ending and job listings at Monolith the past few years suggest they are already deep in development on a 3rd Middle-Earth: Shadow of game, which will probably release Holiday 2021 if I had to guess (4 years after Shadow of War). Amazon meanwhile is already working on a new LOTR MMO based on their upcoming 2nd Age tv show. 

zippy said:
curl-6 said:

In their hands I'd have faith in it ending up okay. They've yet to put a foot wrong in the Switch porting business.

I would have put Virtuos in that bracket, but the rushed Outer Worlds port has blotted their copybook slightly. They did a great job on Starlink and Dark Souls. 

Yeah it's a shame Virtuos let that one mar their record, though at least they have committed to patching it.

QLOC's work on Hellblade is also up there as one of the most impressive Switch conversions in my opinion.

Iron Galaxy have done some solid work too with their ports of Skyrim, Dauntless, Overwatch, and Diablo III.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

shikamaru317 said:
Dulfite said:

I don't think you have to worry about that. This game isn't made by WB, it's made by Daedalic who licensed the rights directly from the Tolkien estate (which is why Gollum's design is off-putting, only WB has the rights to use Gollum's movie likeness). Even if this game flops, there is no reason why WB would stop making LOTR games, Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War both sold well, and the Shadow of War DLC ending and job listings at Monolith the past few years suggest they are already deep in development on a 3rd Middle-Earth: Shadow of game, which will probably release Holiday 2021 if I had to guess (4 years after Shadow of War). Amazon meanwhile is already working on a new LOTR MMO based on their upcoming 2nd Age tv show. 

I loved SoM and SoW a lot! But I thought the ending of War made it kind of impossible for a sequel? I haven't ever beaten all the DLC, but there is hope for a third?!

Dulfite said:
shikamaru317 said:

I loved SoM and SoW a lot! But I thought the ending of War made it kind of impossible for a sequel? I haven't ever beaten all the DLC, but there is hope for a third?!

Won't spoil the DLC for you, but basically the ending of the Blade of Galadriel DLC sets up a 3rd game with a different playable character from Talion. That combined with the job listings over at Monolith, which mention a full open world and the return of the nemesis system, I definitely think we are getting a 3rd, and I'm hyped for it. 

Around the Network

Gonna agree with what others have said. My hunch is that they originally announced next-gen only to drum up lots of publicity and a bit of hype because, at the time of the announcement, they were first out of the gate. As soon as they showed images that were decidedly current gen - and people pointed this out at the time - the gig was kind of up. It's probably always been multi-gen.

Will disagree about playing as Gollum not being fun though - I think it could be quite quirky and original. Not sure it can carry an entire game though. And I doubt this is the studio to pull it off gameplay-wise.

Machina said:

Will disagree about playing as Gollum not being fun though - I think it could be quite quirky and original. 

Yesss you getz it :)

Gollum knowz all the secret places, he has seen many thingz ;)