By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR:: SOCOM 5 in development from Guerilla Games' second studio, to be PS5 launch title

SOURCE

Sony may be gearing up to announce a new SOCOM game for PS5, hints a new leak. The game could potentially join the several other confirmed PS5 exclusives, such as Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West, which were announced at the console reveal event in June.

A new leak from 4chan has fans thinking that a new SOCOM game could be announced for PS5 soon. An anonymous leaker hid the game's name in their message, by capitalizing some words in the middle of a sentence. The leaker has capitalized the letter "S" in "Sure," the letter "O" in "Or" and the last three letters of "GamesCOM" to spell out the popular military shooter series.

The reason that so many fans have been quick to think that this leak is the real deal is that the same poster has been right about two other things in the last 24 hours. On August 2, the leaker said that Sony would announce another State of Play event on August 3, which the company did. That leak also said that it would be "less like other State of Plays" and would not feature the PS5 price or release date. Sony has confirmed that there will be no big PS5 announcements at the event, which all goes with what the leaker has said.

If this is true, then I might plop down a PS5 pre-order. SOCOM 2 was maybe my favorite online multiplayer game of all time for the PS2 and while they've failed to garner that same great gameplay since, GG does inspire a deal of confidence in this one actually being good. We know for a fact that GG is working on a multiplayer shooter from their second studio according to job hires, but this makes me believe it might actually be true. 

Please not another Killzone, those games are trash. Nobody cared when it launched with the PS4, and nobody cares about it now.

Around the Network
twintail said:
This GG making a Socom is old news, and kinda strange.

I think it's a KZ game. Hopefully like 2 considering KZ2 is probably the best console MP for an fps.

I'd dismiss it, except the latest leak with the letters SOCOM capitalized is fairly telling, especially given how accurate said leaker was in the past.

Killzone won't move consoles like a new SOCOM will. If it's announced that a new SOCOM is launching with the PS5, I'll get one at launch for sure. So many fond memories of SOCOM II.

Not putting any stock in this rumor yet, but I'm certainly warm to the idea. Would love to see SOCOM return to glory and a post-Horizon Guerilla could be a good fit.

I really miss the KZ MP. I'm surprised they won't make a new KZ and do SOCOM instead.

The last time SOCOM had a huge impact was on the PS2. Not sure if a lot of the new gamers Sony has amassed or ones new to gaming know anything about SOCOM.

This isn't to say KZ would fare better since its never sold gang busters.

The main game that was before its time and needs a comeback is MAG. Surprised they haven't revived it yet. Or maybe have the KZ MP f2p with a MAG mode.

great news aside from GT one of my favourite playstation games

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Doubt...

But its totally possible. Its at least obvious that sony is growing their teams as opposed to just acquiring new ones. I can see them expecting most of their bigger teams to be working on more than one game simultaneously.

Does the world really need another FPS franchise though? I think sony is fine with having COD and their efforts would be better spent in other genres.

KManX89 said:

SOURCE

If this is true, then I might plop down a PS5 pre-order. SOCOM 2 was maybe my favorite online multiplayer game of all time for the PS2 and while they've failed to garner that same great gameplay since, GG does inspire a deal of confidence in this one actually being good. We know for a fact that GG is working on a multiplayer shooter from their second studio according to job hires, but this makes me believe it might actually be true. 

Please not another Killzone, those games are trash. Nobody cared when it launched with the PS4, and nobody cares about it now.

Curious to know why you think GG offers a deal of confidants but than you say to not be like the Killzone games, which GG made.. so they don't bring a good deal of confidence?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 28 August 2020

Now this would be good news. Socom is one of the only good titles/ one of the only titles from PlayStation that I care about.

twintail said:
This GG making a Socom is old news, and kinda strange.

I think it's a KZ game. Hopefully like 2 considering KZ2 is probably the best console MP for an fps.

That’s a bold claim to say the least. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Socom 5?

Probably higher chance of a reboot.

Will be interesting to see if the leak holds true.