By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Digital Future

KBG29 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
We get more money?

Physical game: £45
Digital game: £60

Yeah, jog on. Digital is a rip-off, plain and simple.

Couldn’t be further from the truth.

*long rant*

I posted factual prices. They are LITERALLY the truth. Doesn't matter whether you like it or not, that is the truth.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
KBG29 said:

Couldn’t be further from the truth.

*long rant*

I posted factual prices. They are LITERALLY the truth. Doesn't matter whether you like it or not, that is the truth.

"Factual prices".

Yeah, no shit, handpick a specific digital game that just released vs. any older physical game on sale and you get those prices. You could do the same thing the other way around, would be a lot easier since digital games go on sales quite often on most platforms and generally have far lower prices than not-used physical games.

If you think games will go down in price you are truly delusional.

Definitely not buying into the digital future yet.

mZuzek said:
Ka-pi96 said:

"Factual prices".

Yeah, no shit, handpick a specific digital game that just released vs. any older physical game on sale and you get those prices. You could do the same thing the other way around, would be a lot easier since digital games go on sales quite often on most platforms and generally have far lower prices than not-used physical games.

I didn't pick a specific game. That's the default price of all new releases. Full priced games start at £45 in a shop or £60 on PSN etc. That's been the case for pretty much the whole generation.

Ka-pi96 said:
mZuzek said:

"Factual prices".

I didn't pick a specific game. That's the default price of all new releases. Full priced games start at £45 in a shop or £60 on PSN etc. That's been the case for pretty much the whole generation.

Speak for yourself then, because that's not the case everywhere in the world and certainly not on every platform either.

For example, if I wanted to buy Xenoblade Chronicles for the Switch, the digital version costs R$250 here. Physical copy, the cheapest I found is at R$330. These prices are pretty much standard for nearly every Switch game. And yeah, the Switch tends to have higher prices because of it not being an official thing in these parts, but when looking at prices for just about every game at launch, the cheapest physical version you can find is the same price as the digital one, at best.

Also, Steam.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Speak for yourself then, because that's not the case everywhere in the world and certainly not on every platform either.

For example, if I wanted to buy Xenoblade Chronicles for the Switch, the digital version costs R$250 here. Physical copy, the cheapest I found is at R$330. These prices are pretty much standard for nearly every Switch game. And yeah, the Switch tends to have higher prices because of it not being an official thing in these parts, but when looking at prices for just about every game at launch, the cheapest physical version you can find is the same price as the digital one, at best.

Also, Steam.

I think it was pretty obvious I was using UK prices when I used the £ symbol.

I know that prices are different in other regions, but that doesn't change the fact that digital games are a fair bit more expensive in the UK when really they should be cheaper, so they're a rip-off. That's always been the case and I'm not going to pretend it's not just because they might be priced fairly in another region.

Ka-pi96 said:
mZuzek said:

Also, Steam.

I think it was pretty obvious I was using UK prices when I used the £ symbol.

I know that prices are different in other regions, but that doesn't change the fact that digital games are a fair bit more expensive in the UK when really they should be cheaper, so they're a rip-off. That's always been the case and I'm not going to pretend it's not just because they might be priced fairly in another region.

I didn't even notice you used £ on the first post, guess I'm too used to seeing it in FM all the time.

Either way, no, you're wrong. You said "digital games are a rip-off, plain and simple". Implying that they're a rip-off everywhere, when now you admit it's not the case. If you say they're a rip-off in the UK, well, okay, looks like it. But not everywhere and I don't think even "mostly where", either.

So you are saying the savings will "trickle down" to developers and consumers? Now where have I heard that phrase before.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The main reason I stick with physical games is because I can buy them used, and potentially even break even on games when buying from craigslist or whatever. I usually don't ever actually get around to selling them, but I still like having the option. I hope physical games stay around as long as I'm still playing them.

That being said, I think it's coming sooner rather than later due to it being more profitable for developers. Console makers can even make additional money selling proprietary storage.

There isn't such a thing as owning a game digitally. If you have a game digitally, you are only ever renting it. You only have it until the platform owner decides you shouldn't have it anymore. That's the problem. That, and you can never go back and discover an old game on a platform that has terminated it's online services. Want to try some of those WiiWare titles? Good luck, you can't :D unless you find a console that has them already installed.

Besides, the price drop for digital games would have happened already, it didn't.