By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - going with that 17k, Xbox Series X/S will have the biggest launch ever

Drakrami said:
Yes, your face probably hurt the guy's hand who punched you as well. Goodluck on logical thinking, you passed.

The real question here is who hurt you? 

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
I think you're reading something into those numbers that isn't there. Slow moving XBones does not equal shitloads of XSX/S production. In fact, we can't extrapolate anything at all about XSX/S from that.

Agreed.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

I think you are being serious. But I'm not sure, highly doubt it thou. 

Yes I'm dead serious. Xbox One has been sold out out every time I've checked US online retailers since about mid June, and it's also sold out at my local Walmart, Target, and Gamestop retail stores. Meanwhile, look at the Xbox One NPD numbers from earlier this year:

• July- 17K (down 84% YoY)
  • June- 115k (down 29% YoY)
  • May- 151k (up 76% YoY)
  • April- 329k (up 210% YoY)
  • March- 276k (up 24% YoY)

XB1 was up YoY for 3 months straight, selling extremely well due to the corona lockdown boost. Then it sold out in mid June, causing it to be down YoY for June. It never got a proper restock in July, and it still hasn't gotten a proper restock in August. So, the question is, why would MS suddenly drastically slow production on Xbox One around about late May? Well, according to a leak in mid May, Xbox Series production began in May. It makes logical sense that the reason why MS isn't producing many Xbox One units anymore, even though it was up YoY in March-May, is because they have converted most of the Xbox One S production lines over to making Series S units. Meanwhile, Xbox One X has officially been discontinued now, so it's safe to say that the Xbox One X production lines have been converted over to making Series X units.

Your timeline matches up perfectly. It is blatantly obvious that MS has simply slowed the supply chain way down. I’m sure some are ignoring the obvious for console warz, but maybe some of them don’t live in the US and don’t understand how barren the shelves have been for months. I haven’t seen an Xbone of any kind in months. Even controllers seem to never be in stock. Online retailers only offer massively overpriced units from vendors. This is assuming the 17k number is right, for all we know it could be 117k. But I’d wonder where the fuck those 117k were that sold, I sure haven’t seen any.

You can also get great TIV for all consoles right now, including Xbone, which goes to show how slow the supply chain must be. Normally Xbone consoles have poor TIV.

There was also a Xbox One Series S v2 leak recently at Target. 

Last edited by LudicrousSpeed - on 17 August 2020

Before Halo got delayed: Maybe

After: Yeah.... Nah

Xbox One X got a price cut to $299 before being discontinued, that’s why it got a nice boost before June but after that is dead.

At a possible $600 and no Halo. I doubt it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

We saw a similar strategy with Sony from the PS4 low stock in Japan. Which is their weakest region.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I read that title as "going with that 17k, Xbox Series X (sarcasm tag) will have the biggest launch" and wondered why isn't the sarcasm tag at the end

In the plus side, the fact that there are still plenty people that probably want an XB1 in one variation or another, means that they'll have no option but to buy one of the next gen models, if they still want one.

Xbox is definitely supply constrained.

One X has already been discontinued and retailers reported they would not be restocking One S implying its soon to be discontinued.

Does this mean Series X/S will have a massive launch? No, things just aren't that simple. Microsoft isnt going to produce 10m Xbox and then have half of them sitting on shelfs unsold, they'll carefully calculate demand

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, makes sense that the reason for the poor NPD is that MS has switched most of their production lines over to making Series S and Series X now. XB1 is out of stock most everywhere in the US right now, but it's clearly not out of stock due to selling out due to high demand, it's clearly sold out due to low stock, and the only reason why the stock would be this low right now is if production was greatly reduced.

Guys, you do realize that "The Xbox One S will continue to be manufactured", right? (https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/16/21327330/microsoft-xbox-one-x-s-digital-edition-discontinued). If Microsoft allowed sales to dip because of low stock then they really deserve the low sales...