By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2020: Tampa Bay Buccaneers win Super Bowl LV

I think it's vital, that at this upcoming presidential debate, the candidates be made to answer whether they'll ban the NFC East winner from appearing in the playoffs, if elected. It's important policy, and I think America deserves to know.

Around the Network
BYE BYE NYG-PHI 2 PIT-TEN 1
DAL-WAS 1 BUF-NYJ 1 CAR-NO 2 GB-HOU 1
CLE-CIN 1 DET-ATL 2 SEA-ARI 2 JAX-LAC 2
SF-NE 2 KC-DEN 1 TB-LV 2 CHI-LAR 2

BYE BYE NYG-PHI 2 PIT-TEN 1
DAL-WAS 1 BUF-NYJ 1 CAR-NO 2 GB-HOU 1
CLE-CIN 1 DET-ATL 2 SEA-ARI 1 JAX-LAC 2
SF-NE 2 KC-DEN 1 TB-LV 1 CHI-LAR 2

Shaunodon said:
Shaunodon said:

I'm gonna throw this out there and want people to give it some thought before replying:

If the Dolphins start Tua from here on and he plays close to his potential, what's the ceiling for this team and could they compete for that division?

Update:

Question is still there if anyone wants to answer. Dolphins just became very interesting.

I don't know if you'll see a meteoric increase in Dolphins productivity right away.  Not from what his own teammates are saying anyway:

"According to Dolphins players who spoke on the condition of anonymity, Tagovailoa was doing “alright” in practices. He wasn’t disappointing, but his weekly reps weren’t eye-opening, indicating that a change was needed.

One offensive player guessed that Tagovailoa had a mastery of about 40% of the offense.

“It’s not bad, but he’s not Fitz,” the player said.

However, when running Miami’s scout team offense — practicing against Miami’s first-team defense — Tagovailoa apparently has had a habit of holding onto the ball too long.

That’s the main criticism that Alabama coach Nick Saban had about his finest quarterback prospect, and a defensive player expressed concern that “he can get hurt playing like that. This is the NFL! These boys are big, fast and hungry. He’s out there looking like a snack.”

It doesn’t help that the first defense Tagovailoa will face happens to feature Aaron Donald, a quarterback-eating defensive lineman. The Los Angeles Rams have the best defensive front Miami’s developing, but far-from-polished offensive line will face all season.

And now they must protect a rookie quarterback, running what will likely be an evolving offense that suits Tagovailoa, who is playing with a hip that was surgically repaired nearly 12 months ago."

Dolphins players wonder why QB change was made now

I think of it as a similar situation to how Eli Manning started his career.  The Giants had brought in Kurt Warner as the starter in 2004 while Eli learned the offense.  Warner was 5-4 and playing well when Tom Coughlin benched him to turn the reigns over to their rookie QB.  The Giants proceeded to finish the season 2-7 under Manning.  But, Eli learned and developed over that time and went 11-5 the year after.  Sometimes coaches make that mid-season change in order to jumpstart a rookie QB's development, not because they expect to have immediate divisional contention aspirations. 

Which is what infuriates me about how Mike Tomlin handled Ben Roethlisberger's injury last year.  He turned the team over to 2nd year QB Mason Rudolph with the perfect opportunity to develop the team's potential future starter.  Then, at the end of November, after one (extremely) bad game, he benches Rudolph for Devlin Hodges.  And of course, three weeks later, after Hodges also had one (extremely) bad game, Tomlin yanked him out and went back to Rudolph, at which point Rudolph got injured and Hodges finished the final game and a half of the season.  This QB carousel was solely focused on remaining in contention for the season at hand, with no eye on developing for the team's future.  When asked about the possibility of Big Ben retiring years ago, Tomlin answered "we've been preparing for that for some time."  Meanwhile, the #2 QB on the depth chart at the time Tomlin said that (Landry Jones) isn't even on the team anymore (for good reason, I never saw him as the future of the franchise, which is why Tomlin's statement is even more bs).

Anyway, I think it will be good for Tua's development to jump in now.  But, I would temper your expectations on what it means for the Dolphins this year.

Yikes. If all those quotes are true, it really is head-scratching to throw him into his first game against Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey and the Rams. Though on the flip side, I'm not someone who bought into Fitzmagic realistically taking them into playoff contention either. In my mind, the only 'magic' is that he plays a couple good games and people are spellbound into forgetting he's a turnover machine.

As for the Steelers, it is a bit unfortunate how they handled their young QBs last year, but I also don't remember thinking either had much upside when watching them anyway. I think after seeing them, it put into light how good a coach Mike Tomlin was just to keep the team around .500 by the end, but also how much they still needed Big Ben for the foreseeable future.

The way Big Ben seems to be reforming his life and attitude, I could definitely see him being able to extend his career for another few good years at least.

Steelers have been the most slept on team not just during the season but even before the season. They look like the most complete team in the AFC right now. Even though people make a good point about Lamar needing to play to his strengths, it will eventually become a problem for the Ravens when their QB can't hit the broad side of a barn door.

Around the Network

Suppose I'm picking the Eagles as well....not that it feels particularly great with the rate at which they're losing players. If the Giants had almost any QB in the league aside from Daniel Jones, I'd probably go with them instead.

Angelus said:
I think it's vital, that at this upcoming presidential debate, the candidates be made to answer whether they'll ban the NFC East winner from appearing in the playoffs, if elected. It's important policy, and I think America deserves to know.

If things hold this way, the NFC East will be the 3rd division in history to send a Division Champion to the post-season with a losing record.  Joining the 2010 NFC West, and the 2014 NFC South.

NFC West 2010
Seattle Seahawks* 7 9 .438 310 407
St. Louis Rams 7 9 .438 289 328
San Francisco 49ers 6 10 .375 305 346
Arizona Cardinals 5 11 .313 289 434
NFC South 2014
Carolina Panthers* 7 8 1 .469 339 374
New Orleans Saints 7 9 0 .438 401 424
Atlanta Falcons 6 10 0 .375 381 417
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2 14 0 .125 277 410

I'll take the Eagles in tonight's matchup

Watching these quarterbacks duel, I'm thinking the presidential debate was actually the less painful choice.

This game has turned into a circus and I can't stop laughing

Last edited by Shaunodon - on 22 October 2020