By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple removes Fortnite from app store, cant connect to servers. Epic Games Sues.

Apple Terminates Epic Games' Developer Account

"Update: In a statement, Apple confirmed the account has been removed and said it's disappointing that the termination had to happen.

We are disappointed that we have had to terminate the Epic Games account on the ‌App Store‌. We have worked with the team at Epic Games for many years on their launches and releases. The court recommended that Epic comply with the ‌App Store‌ guidelines while their case moves forward, guidelines they’ve followed for the past decade until they created this situation. Epic has refused. Instead they repeatedly submit Fortnite updates designed to violate the guidelines of the ‌App Store‌. This is not fair to all other developers on the ‌App Store‌ and is putting customers in the middle of their fight. We hope that we can work together again in the future, but unfortunately that is not possible today.

Apple says that the termination applies only to the Epic Games developer account, and it occurred after Epic Games was provided with 14 days to comply with the ‌App Store‌ rules. The removal of the Epic Games account is Apple's standard process for all accounts that defy ‌App Store‌ policies.

Epic no longer has the option to submit apps or updates through its developer account and in-app purchases in the Fortnite app will no longer be a functional option for Fortnite players. Apple says that disabling in-app purchases will protect users as Fortnite's new season launches as Epic had been directing users to Apple's support staff to get purchase refunds. "

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/28/apple-terminates-epic-games-developer-account/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

"Update: In a statement, Apple confirmed the account has been removed and said it's disappointing that the termination had to happen.

We are disappointed that we have had to terminate the Epic Games account on the ‌App Store‌. We have worked with the team at Epic Games for many years on their launches and releases. The court recommended that Epic comply with the ‌App Store‌ guidelines while their case moves forward, guidelines they’ve followed for the past decade until they created this situation. Epic has refused. Instead they repeatedly submit Fortnite updates designed to violate the guidelines of the ‌App Store‌. This is not fair to all other developers on the ‌App Store‌ and is putting customers in the middle of their fight. We hope that we can work together again in the future, but unfortunately that is not possible today.

Apple says that the termination applies only to the Epic Games developer account, and it occurred after Epic Games was provided with 14 days to comply with the ‌App Store‌ rules. The removal of the Epic Games account is Apple's standard process for all accounts that defy ‌App Store‌ policies.

Epic no longer has the option to submit apps or updates through its developer account and in-app purchases in the Fortnite app will no longer be a functional option for Fortnite players. Apple says that disabling in-app purchases will protect users as Fortnite's new season launches as Epic had been directing users to Apple's support staff to get purchase refunds. "

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/28/apple-terminates-epic-games-developer-account/

This is a clever move, because they now won't ban UE from IOS, but Epic itself instead. Epic had the time to sort this out, but as usual, they stick to their side (they are still doing this in regards to buying up exclusives to harm GoG/Steam). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

This is a clever move, because they now won't ban UE from IOS, but Epic itself instead. Epic had the time to sort this out, but as usual, they stick to their side (they are still doing this in regards to buying up exclusives to harm GoG/Steam). 

Someone finally put them in their rightful place.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Someone finally put them in their rightful place.

Apple be like

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

LurkerJ said:
AsGryffynn said:

The abuse is closing their OS to sideloaded applications and distribution services. If you could load up Cydia or AltStore by downloading a profile from the Internet, tap away a couple warnings and switches and then run everything Apple wouldn't sell to you, then this case would be complete bullshit as the judge could just say "make your own store" and tell people to download it from their site. 

The main difference between console and iPhone being that console game making tools are essentially tied to MS, whereas making an .ipa file is not any harder than making an .apk 

So loading a second store into a XBO is impossible because then the hardware wouldn't even run the games designed for it. Sideloading an .ipa into iOS would be easy if instead of revoking the ability of people to do so, they allowed end users to sideload normally like they do on Android after pestering them not to. 

A made up artificial difference so that, again, you can draw arbitrary distinctions on why only iOS is guilty of being a closed environment. I must be imaging all the apps, costume software and Linux on PS3. All made their way to various consoles from different generations that ran perfectly side by side without compromising how the console originally was intended to function. 

Oh how wrong you are. If we want to be stringent, you can. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/18/11701714/xbox-one-running-windows-95

Sadly, no one has come up with NTBox or they could just run W10 on the thing and breath new life into their unique ecosystem. Technically, you can do that with .ipa files. However, Apple even pulled the ability to sideload without third party installed applications like Cydia or AltStore. 

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
LurkerJ said:

A made up artificial difference so that, again, you can draw arbitrary distinctions on why only iOS is guilty of being a closed environment. I must be imaging all the apps, costume software and Linux on PS3. All made their way to various consoles from different generations that ran perfectly side by side without compromising how the console originally was intended to function. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/18/11701714/xbox-one-running-windows-95

Sadly, no one has come up with NTBox or they could just run W10 on the thing and breath new life into their unique ecosystem. Technically, you can do that with .ipa files. However, Apple even pulled the ability to sideload without third party installed applications like Cydia or AltStore. 

Genuinely confused with what you're trying to prove with the story you linked, that I am right? I already know that....

Epic asks court to prevent Apple’s ‘retaliation’ and allow Fortnite back on the App Store

How soon will they update the game and comply with Apple & Google guidelines? 2 or 3 weeks?

I find this so ironic.

Also the "don't ever touch Epic, Fortnite or Epic partners ever again" rule sounds completely bogus if you ask me. That's like claiming any future bullshit they do is somehow counted as "bullying" by Tim's logic. 

LurkerJ said:
AsGryffynn said:

Genuinely confused with what you're trying to prove with the story you linked, that I am right? I already know that....

That I can sideload shit onto an Xbox One that I cannot into an iPhone without pissing Apple off? 

MS pretty much just tells you “sign here” rather than “you’re not a dev”. 

Not to mention getting your shit from Ebay retailers and secondhand owners that isn’t possible on the App Store. 

I'm still kinda rooting for Epic , but i feel a bit alone in doing so.
In my humble opinion:the less things can be in the grasp of Apple, the more consumer and devfriendly the market becomes.