By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Nintendo will launch 3 Retail games before 2021

Tagged games:

Do You Agree?

Only 1 Game will be released. 2 5.88%

Make that 2 4 11.76%

I agree, 3 is likely! 16 47.06%

4 or more 11 32.35%

Other 1 2.94%

Total:34

If we include ports, then 3 is likely. Pikmin 3 Deluxe is already confirmed, and there could easily be another port, a remake/remaster of something, or a new game. I think we'll only get one new installment or a surprise new IP. Breath of the Wild 2 and Bayonetta 3 are not happening in 2020.
I'm holding out a little hope for the 3D Mario remakes, but they're pretty unlikely.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

No less than 4 retail games, I think more might happen though.

Nintendo wont go in to the holidays with Pikmin 3 and and Cadence as their go-to games. I also expect the mario collection to drop late next month and I dont believe 3D world happens this year, probably early next.

But BD2 could be a december game and that leaves room for a November game. And I honestly have no idea what it could be.

Leynos said:
Slownenberg said:

I don't see why you would expect a drought of games. We just don't know what games are coming. We didn't know about Paper Mario until two months (or less?) before it came out. We just found out about Pikmin. It is clear they just haven't announced their holiday lineup yet. It's not like they aren't going to have a single first party game coming out for the holidays!

Also we just had a Xenoblade game a few months ago, I'm sure there will be at least one more port for the holidays but Xenoblade is probably the last game it would be.

I'd expect after Pikmin to get the rumored Mario Collection, a popular GC/Wii/WiiU port, and one or two new games perhaps only at the AA level if Mario Collection is their planned main seller. Still, the right new AA game and the right port could each sell millions in the holiday season alone.

Didn't say it would happen. Said it should happen if anymore Wii U ports happen. ALso,Xenoblade X is very different than Xenoblade.

I'm just saying if they only bring like 3 ports this year, it's not gonna be Pikmin plus two Xenoblades. Whether the two Xeno games are very different or not its the same series. That just wouldn't make any sense just 6 months after they just ported another Xenoblade and it hasn't even had a holiday season to sell. A Zelda game (WW, TP, or SS) or Prime Trilogy or some other GC/Wii era game remastered would make a hell of a lot more sense.

Same reason a Mario 3D World port is unlikely to hit this holiday if they are indeed doing a Mario Collection game this Fall, except Xenoblade would make even less sense because it's a much more niche and less known game. Or a better analogy would I guess be saying you want the Wii U Paper Mario port this holiday just after Paper Mario just came out. You gotta space out games of the same series.

RolStoppable said:
I changed my mind.

I remembered that Cadence of Hyrule will get a physical release on October 23rd, so Nintendo lumps it closely together with Pikmin 3 Deluxe. Earlier today Nintendo of America tweeted an image with Mario in a Sunshine setting, so the long rumored 3D Mario collection became a lot more credible as mid-November release; will likely contain Super Mario 64, Sunshine and the first Galaxy with remade graphics. Why not the second Galaxy as well? Because of remade graphics which led to time constraints in development; also, three games for the price of one is already generous enough by Nintendo standards.

Pokémon New Snap in December to close out the year. That would make four games already. Still leaves the late September/early October window and that one will likely get a game too, although not necessarily a retail release. Another Picross will be due in late 2020 too, but that's definitely digital-only.

4-5 retail games, 1-2 digital games.

I don't think they'd do 3 Mario's including Galaxy but then leave out Galaxy 2. I kinda think a 4-game collection ever being planned is unlikely in the first place because knowing Nintendo they'd normally just HD up a single one of those games and sell it for $60.

I could see an HD Galaxy Collection perhaps with slightly remastered graphics, or if it is all 4 games just a straight HD port with no other work put in which would be the best deal I could ever imagine Nintendo doing. If they completely remade the graphics on any of those games they'd sell each for $60 - so like a Mario 64 remake could be one game and then a HD Galaxy Collection or HD Sunshine/Galaxy1+2 Collection as a separate game could be possible if they decided they want all the games ported over but wanted to offer fans something remade as well. I don't really see anything GC or later being remade because graphically that's close enough to modern day if you just do at most an HD upgrade and a little bit of graphically remastering or whatever - it just wouldn't be worth the effort and money.

The Super Mario Galaxy port is likely just a dump of the Nvidia Shield Mario Galaxy HD port:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQWcl_99fs&t=229s

Nvidia only ported Galaxy 1 to HD, so that's probably why Mario Galaxy 2 probably isn't part of the collection. Probably I think the rest of the year lineup is

Super Mario 3D World Deluxe - September
Pikmin 3 - October
Super Mario 3D Collection - November
Pokemon Snap Switch - maybe December

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 August 2020

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
The Super Mario Galaxy port is likely just a dump of the Nvidia Shield Mario Galaxy HD port:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQWcl_99fs&t=229s

Nvidia only ported Galaxy 1 to HD, so that's probably why Mario Galaxy 2 probably isn't part of the collection. Probably I think the rest of the year lineup is

Super Mario 3D World Deluxe - September
Pikmin 3 - October
Super Mario 3D Collection - November
Pokemon Snap Switch - December

Has anyone confirmed that Galaxy 2 isn't in the collection?  To my knowledge the collection hasn't even been confirmed yet. It's like speculation inception.