By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should a $300 Lockhart be counted alongside Series X in marketshare tallies?

Should a $300 Lockhart be counted alongside Series X in marketshare tallies?

Yes, same console different SKUs 62 88.57%

No, the power/price difference is too much. 7 10.00%

Other 1 1.43%

Total:70
RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I changed my other question a bit to make it clearer. Thanks. 

Now I know for sure what this is about. An older thread of yours where you predicted that market share between Sony and Microsoft will look the same as with PS4 vs. XB1.

125m PS4s vs. 50m XB1s = 71.4% vs. 28.6%
120m PS5s vs. 60m Xbox Series = 66.7% vs. 33.3%

Gain for Microsoft.

Yes, and to answer my own question, I'd say that MS fails if it only sells 30 million Series X units. MS has had a habit of trying to hide their failures this gen. They don't release console sales numbers. They announce "total concurrent players" of a game instead of just announcing how well that game sold (because they don't want to admit that it sold far below their expectations). They hide their gaming division's financial health by lumping it in with Microsoft as a whole in financial reports. As far as I see it lumping Lockhart sales in with Series X sales is just more obfuscation on their part. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 09 August 2020

Around the Network

If it wasn't a problem to count 3DS/3DSXL/new3DS/new3DSXL together, PS4 and PS4 Pro together, Xbox 360 Core/Arcade/Premium/Elite together, Xbox One S + X together, Switch and Switch lite together... why should it suddenly be a problem?

People already damage controlling?

I don’t see how this is different from the One X and PS4 pro. They’re playing the same games

Conina said:

If it wasn't a problem to count 3DS/3DSXL/new3DS/new3DSXL together, PS4 and PS4 Pro together, Xbox 360 Core/Arcade/Premium/Elite together, Xbox One S + X together, Switch and Switch lite together... why should it suddenly be a problem?

All the 3DS models have pretty much the same graphics. 

Pro and X were both released as upgrades years later. Lockhart is a downgrade at launch, so that's an important difference. 

The 360 models only had the difference of harddrive space, not a power difference. 

Switch and Switch Lite are around the same power level. 

Why not? It's the same console and will play the same games.

Around the Network

Of course it should. It's just a different SKU.

Sony has the PS5 digital which will cost less than the Ps5 physical. Does that mean we should separate that too? Nonsense...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

No but I also dont believe it is going to be $299. $399 will be my guess.

Why wouldn't it be counted? It's just a cheaper SKU of the Series X.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Conina said:

All the 3DS models have pretty much the same graphics. 

Pro and X were both released as upgrades years later. Lockhart is a downgrade at launch, so that's an important difference. 

The 360 models only had the difference of harddrive space, not a power difference. 

Switch and Switch Lite are around the same power level. 

All the goal post shifting without a clear direction.

So is the price difference the important point? The performance difference? The launch date of different SKUs? A different library of games?

Why is it okay to put together SKUs with different performance when they are years apart but not when they are released at the same time? That doesn't make sense at all.

The new 3DS doubled the ARM cores AND shifted the clock speed upwards from 268MHz to 804MHz... there was a huge performance difference, much larger than the difference Lockhart and Series X will proably have. it also had games the older 3DS and 2DS couldn't play at all. But it is totally okay to count them together?

Lockhart will probably play all the Series X games and most of them with similar performance... main difference will be the resolution. So should we count PS4 Pros separately depending on the TV they are connected to? These PS4 games will look different on a 720p TV, 1080p TV and 4K TV, won't they?

Of course. Its the exact same with the XSX just a weaker version and likely also with no disk drive.

And if the XSS is $299, there is no way the dis free version of the PS5 isn't going to be $399. Not $499, that may be the disc-based SKU.

That is the perfect pricing scenario that sony will be hoping for. Having a console in the middle of both Xbox consoles just makes the PS5 have more perceived value.