By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should a $300 Lockhart be counted alongside Series X in marketshare tallies?

Should a $300 Lockhart be counted alongside Series X in marketshare tallies?

Yes, same console different SKUs 62 88.57%

No, the power/price difference is too much. 7 10.00%

Other 1 1.43%

Total:70
Cerebralbore101 said:
RolStoppable said:
Of course it has to be counted.

As for your other question, you are asking if 120m PS5s sold should be seen as a failure for Sony. That's... mindboggling. With online multiplayer behind a paywall, there's no realistic way to sell 120m units and lose money on the platform.

I changed my other question a bit to make it clearer. Thanks. 

Now I know for sure what this is about. An older thread of yours where you predicted that market share between Sony and Microsoft will look the same as with PS4 vs. XB1.

125m PS4s vs. 50m XB1s = 71.4% vs. 28.6%
120m PS5s vs. 60m Xbox Series = 66.7% vs. 33.3%

Gain for Microsoft.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

Ofc it should

Shaunodon said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

What is the PS5 lower priced SKU? Are you talking about the diskless PS5? That might be $50 to $100 less than the disc version, and it would still have the same specs as the main PS5. So I don't quite see that as a different system. 

So why do specs suddenly matter now?

Both your title and OP completely phrased the issue around pricing, stating 'Sony doesn't have a $300 sku', and conveniently ignoring their digital-only system that's already been confirmed, and likely to be $100 cheaper.

So is the magic number $200 less than your competitor? Is that when it becomes unfair, or not equivalent anymore?

As far as we know, Series S or 'Lockhart' will play all the same games as Series X, with the exact same architecture. So outside of some performance sacrifices, it's the same system.

Regardless if it meets your requirements, as long as it helps sell more Xbox systems it'll be a gain for Microsoft.

It never even crossed my mind that someone might somehow consider the diskless PS5 to be comparable to the Lockhart. It's like someone telling me they drive a four wheeled vehicle, and then pulling up with a motorcycle and a sidecar. Technically four wheels, but not what I had in my head. Had I anticipated such a weird response, I definitely would have phrased things differently. 

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I changed my other question a bit to make it clearer. Thanks. 

Now I know for sure what this is about. An older thread of yours where you predicted that market share between Sony and Microsoft will look the same as with PS4 vs. XB1.

125m PS4s vs. 50m XB1s = 71.4% vs. 28.6%
120m PS5s vs. 60m Xbox Series = 66.7% vs. 33.3%

Gain for Microsoft.

Yes, and to answer my own question, I'd say that MS fails if it only sells 30 million Series X units. MS has had a habit of trying to hide their failures this gen. They don't release console sales numbers. They announce "total concurrent players" of a game instead of just announcing how well that game sold (because they don't want to admit that it sold far below their expectations). They hide their gaming division's financial health by lumping it in with Microsoft as a whole in financial reports. As far as I see it lumping Lockhart sales in with Series X sales is just more obfuscation on their part. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 09 August 2020

If it wasn't a problem to count 3DS/3DSXL/new3DS/new3DSXL together, PS4 and PS4 Pro together, Xbox 360 Core/Arcade/Premium/Elite together, Xbox One S + X together, Switch and Switch lite together... why should it suddenly be a problem?

Around the Network

People already damage controlling?

I don’t see how this is different from the One X and PS4 pro. They’re playing the same games

Conina said:

If it wasn't a problem to count 3DS/3DSXL/new3DS/new3DSXL together, PS4 and PS4 Pro together, Xbox 360 Core/Arcade/Premium/Elite together, Xbox One S + X together, Switch and Switch lite together... why should it suddenly be a problem?

All the 3DS models have pretty much the same graphics. 

Pro and X were both released as upgrades years later. Lockhart is a downgrade at launch, so that's an important difference. 

The 360 models only had the difference of harddrive space, not a power difference. 

Switch and Switch Lite are around the same power level. 

It should be counted if both play the same games.
People even put Gameboy and Gameboy Color together when they are difinitely separated systems.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Conina said:

All the 3DS models have pretty much the same graphics. 

Pro and X were both released as upgrades years later. Lockhart is a downgrade at launch, so that's an important difference. 

The 360 models only had the difference of harddrive space, not a power difference. 

Switch and Switch Lite are around the same power level. 

It's not intended to be a downgrade over Series X though, it's intended to be an upgrade over Xbox One S. According to insiders, Microsoft sees Xbox Series S as a successor to Xbox One S (ie a new cheap console intended for more casual audiences), while Xbox Series X is intended as a successor to Xbox One X (ie a new expensive console for core gamer audiences). Think of Xbox Series X as this generation's mid-gen upgrade console for Microsoft, but about 3 years early, that is one reason why they aimed for higher specs than PS5 on Series X. Microsoft isn't likely to release an actual mid-gen console this generation, because it would be too confusing to consumers to have Series S, Series X, and a 3rd console all on the market at once, the only way they release a 3rd console this gen is if Sony releases a PS5 Pro with high enough specs that they are forced to release a 3rd console to keep competing, but I don't think they want to make a 3rd console.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 09 August 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:

Yes, and to answer my own question, I'd say that MS fails if it only sells 30 million Series X units. MS has had a habit of trying to hide their failures this gen. They don't release console sales numbers. They announce "total concurrent players" of a game instead of just announcing how well that game sold (because they don't want to admit that it sold far below their expectations). They hide their gaming division's financial health by lumping it in with Microsoft as a whole in financial reports. As far as I see it lumping Lockhart sales in with Series X sales is just more obfuscation on their part. 

Your poll is going in a clear direction already.

EDIT: Found an interesting rumor. Not about Lockhart, but Series X. Regardless, relevant here because it's ultimately about potential market share.

https://wccftech.com/ps5-to-cost-more-than-xsx-while-struggling-more-with-multiplatform-games-in-performance-says-insider/

Last edited by RolStoppable - on 09 August 2020

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments