By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 exclusive FF7R hits 5 million units.

JRPGfan said:
src said:
FFXV was the previous fastest selling FF game. It did:

5 million launch shipment
6 million shipped and sold after 1.5 months (holiday season)
7 million shipped and sold after 1 year

FF7R on one platform will outsell it. It also has already broken digital records for SE: 2 million digital on PSN alone.
I expect FF16 and FF7R2 to be timed exclusive to PS5 considering SE can break records with the Playstation userbase by itself.

This is the crazy part.
5-6 months to do 5m+ as a exclusive is pretty decent for FF7R.

What about the size of the userbase when both game were released on the market.

FF7R was released on 108M userbase 

FFXV was released on ?? Userbase

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
JRPGfan said:

This is the crazy part.
5-6 months to do 5m+ as a exclusive is pretty decent for FF7R.

What about the size of the userbase when both game were released on the market.

FF7R was released on 108M userbase 

FFXV was released on ?? Userbase

User base does not linearly scale with game sales. FF7R will outsell in LTD anyway.

5M is low sales?

What's wrong with people these days?

And people forget this is a JRPG, for reference, one of the best JRPGs of this gen (persona 5) sold under 4M units.

At the end I see the game selling up to 8M on the PS before the XB and PC versions come along.

And to those talking about exclusivity hurting sales, yes, exclusivity would always mean ou would sell few units than you would have otherwise sold, but the take away from things like this is that if you are making like 80%+ of your overall sales on one platform, then you simply don't need the other two platforms. And example of a bad exclusive deal is if you sell only like 1-2M on the platform you make it for the when you release on the other platform can sell as much or up to 50% of your total sales on the previous platform.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 09 August 2020

The game would maybe it 7m after the holiday and 10m lifetime once sequels come out. Not bad at all, its definitely seen weaker legs then I expected but I think that would simply be down to damage to the franchise with the last decade worth of entries. Its clear from the PS4 hardware boost that Nolstagia was a big draw and brought back people who has left the console gaming space this gen. Potentially for a large number of younger/newer gamers, FFVII simply doesn't have the weight we think it does. Even more reason for FFXVI to release sooner than later and hopefully establish a new audience.

Also let's see if the game is very price elastic, its having its first sales on the PSN store this month.

I think 8-9 million after holiday and 11-12 million LTD on all platforms. That would make it the best selling FF of all time and the best selling JRPG of all time.

Pretty good for a game that's only PART 1.

Around the Network
src said:
I think 8-9 million after holiday and 11-12 million LTD on all platforms. That would make it the best selling FF of all time and the best selling JRPG of all time.

Pretty good for a game that's only PART 1.

Pokemon is a JRPG

Great to hear =)

Its the best Gaming-Year, thanks PS4. FF7 Remake, The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Persona 5 Royal.. fantastic Games with strong sales figures =)

indeed it truly is an amazing 2020 for gaming at least