By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - should games be desexified while every other social media focusses on sex and appeal?

I was wondering about this because frankly social media accounts and apps by woman focus more and more on themselves as sex and sexual appeal since its inception.

while on the other hand games like BMX XXX, DOA or even tomb raider aren't made anymore or desexualised.

why does /must this exist in gaming while every other media totally shits on this "femalefriendly/woke" principle?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

If anything, we should make men in videogames far more sexualized.

kirby007 said:

I was wondering about this because frankly social media accounts and apps by woman focus more and more on themselves as sex and sexual appeal since its inception.

while on the other hand games like BMX XXX, DOA or even tomb raider aren't made anymore or desexualised.

why does /must this exist in gaming while every other media totally shits on this "femalefriendly/woke" principle?

I don't see what one has to do with the other.

The goal of a woman who does that sort of thing on social media is to get as many followers/whatever as possible, and in that medium, the most effective way is undoubtedly to be hot and show skin.

A gaming company's objective is to sell games. Sexy digital women being unrealistically or unnecessarily sexualized may or may not help achieve that goal.

A "model" on social media also has the benefit of only having to sell one product, themselves to one audience. A company like Nintendo has to sell multiple products to multiple audiences. Releasing an overly sexual game may harm their capacity to sell other products. More importantly, the instagram model probably doesn't care about how her actions effect the world at large (and I'm not saying she should) so long as she's getting views. Major companies are expected to care about those kinds of things, and not caring may cost them sales.

In short, they're entirely different things, and what goes on in social media should not dictate what gaming companies decide to do.

If they want to make a game with big tits ass cock muscles by picking some of those or all at once. I'm not bothered.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

JWeinCom said:
kirby007 said:

The goal of a woman who does that sort of thing on social media is to get as many followers/whatever as possible, and in that medium, the most effective way is undoubtedly to be hot and show skin.

A gaming company's objective is to sell games. Sexy digital women being unrealistically or unnecessarily sexualized may or may not help achieve that goal.

A "model" on social media also has the benefit of only having to sell one product, themselves to one audience. A company like Nintendo has to sell multiple products to multiple audiences. Releasing an overly sexual game may harm their capacity to sell other products. More importantly, the instagram model probably doesn't care about how her actions effect the world at large (and I'm not saying she should) so long as she's getting views. Major companies are expected to care about those kinds of things, and not caring may cost them sales.

In short, they're entirely different things, and what goes on in social media should not dictate what gaming companies decide to do.

Well Nintendo releases Bayonetta, so I dont think they are that worried.

Around the Network

Nah I like my lewd games. I don't see why we can't have both like various other forms of entertainment. There's so many games these days that if you want to see fully clothed people like it was the 1800s, then there's games for you and if you want to see very sexualized people, there's games for you.

One could argue that sexualizing people in video games leads to nonsense in real life but by that logic, murdering people in GTA will make people violent when we all know that's not the case.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JWeinCom said:
kirby007 said:

that wouldn't explain hoes in GTA5

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I dont think this should matter at all. Sexualization of a character - be it female or male - should be fine if it fits the context/concept/ideas of the game. If the game sucks its not gonna sell and thats about it. 
I understand where this comes from tho, for too long the videogame community has been perceived as a "Boys club" and games like DOA just reinforces that idea.

As someone said before, if you are gonna sexualize your character just dont focus on your male customers alone. 

kirby007 said:

Do they tho? In films and series the female roles are very much scrutinized for these kind of portrayals.

KLXVER said:
JWeinCom said:

Well Nintendo releases Bayonetta, so I dont think they are that worried.

It's a matter of degree. I honestly don't think Bayonetta's that sexualized. She shows some skin when doing certain attacks and is flirtacious, but that's about it... If Platinum wanted the next game to be "Bayonetta 3: Cereza Does Vigrid" I think Nintendo would balk.

kirby007 said:
JWeinCom said:

that wouldn't explain hoes in GTA5

Different companies have different markets, and different philosophies. Some companies are going to be more ok with certain things than others.