By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - The Wheel of Time | Amazon TV Series

JRPGfan said:
Worth a read, and probably also a watch.
I'll keep a eye out for it.

Worth a read indeed, but be prepared, I think it's almost 12,000 pages in total :) Epic!
Lord of the rings looks like a pamphlet in comparison.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Hiku said:

I saw Moraine's actress is 41 years old, which surprised me. Because I was under the impression that she was younger than that, but I see now that she's supposed to be 22 years older than Rand, so that checks out. I always pictured her in her 20s for some reason.

And I first read this back in 2001 or so I believe. But I've only read a couple of books, because I knew it was far from finished so I put it on hold.

Aes Sedai are regularly described as "ageless".  Even the oldest of them, who was almost 300 years old during the story, is described as such (though she does have gray hair) despite being close to the end of her life by her own reckoning.

Moraine is specifically said to look to be about the same age as Nynaeve when she first arrives, but with you can see her age in her eyes.  So it actually would have been more appropriate to cast a young actress with an old soul in the role.

I guess that's why I was of the impression that she was younger. Been a long time since I read the books.
Then it may have been better with a younger actress, but I'll see what the idea is with this one, and maybe I'll like it.

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:
Worth a read, and probably also a watch.
I'll keep a eye out for it.

Worth a read indeed, but be prepared, I think it's almost 12,000 pages in total :) Epic!

Yeah i did read like 15 of them. (14 main story,1 prequel)

They do have many epic moments but i would not call them amongst the best fantasy books,there is a lot of filler in descriptions and repitition but yeah that would not be a bother for the series cause if you just tie all the action together it might be great and there is content enough for that.

It is worth a read i would say if you are a patient reader

Immersiveunreality said:
SvennoJ said:

They do have many epic moments but i would not call them amongst the best fantasy books,there is a lot of filler in descriptions and repitition but yeah that would not be a bother for the series cause if you just tie all the action together it might be great and there is content enough for that.

I loved how descriptive it was. I would have thought 2 pages describing how leaves are falling and some crows are flying would have me bored, but somehow I was actually quite captivated by it.

Hiku said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I loved how descriptive it was. I would have thought 2 pages describing how leaves are falling and some crows are flying would have me bored, but somehow I was actually quite captivated by it.

Yeah something very descriptive can be fun to read if it is done in a way that does not just sum up what's there but takes you along with it in a captivating way.

This author or yeah both of these authors have their strong and weaker moments,to be honest i find them to write better than the likes of Stephen King.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:

It is one of those worlds that you keep going back to year after year. I read it during the summer time for well over a decade, also slowed down by having to wait for the next volume to release. Binge reading might get tedious, but was always great to pick up again.

If made into a series it should be a long running one as well, one season per book maybe two for the later bigger volumes. If done well it could become an epic longest running fantasy series. It would be a challenge with the ageless sedai.

SvennoJ said:
Immersiveunreality said:

It is one of those worlds that you keep going back to year after year. I read it during the summer time for well over a decade, also slowed down by having to wait for the next volume to release. Binge reading might get tedious, but was always great to pick up again.

If made into a series it should be a long running one as well, one season per book maybe two for the later bigger volumes. If done well it could become an epic longest running fantasy series. It would be a challenge with the ageless sedai.

Oh yeah that is why i most likely am more nitpicky with the series,i bought the whole series and did read them without slowing down too much and after reading many faster paced smaller fantasy series.

I felt heavy Tolkien influence in the worldbuilding,not nearly as grand but it surely took from it.(hell,a lot of fantasy novels have some Tolkien in them)

Immersiveunreality said:
Hiku said:

Yeah something very descriptive can be fun to read if it is done in a way that does not just sum up what's there but takes you along with it in a captivating way.

This author or yeah both of these authors have their strong and weaker moments,to be honest i find them to write better than the likes of Stephen King.

Yeah, I remember during the scene I mentioned, it was describing how leaves were falling, and it felt pretty southing. But then as I was lulled into a sense of security, it mentioned a raven, which I think were described as spies for the badguy. So all of a sudden I felt a chilling sensation because someone was spying on the main characters.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time
Isaac Asimov's Foundation
JRR Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" (Well, mid 2nd age)
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

Four of my very favourite Universes come to life in television.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time
Isaac Asimov's Foundation
JRR Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" (Well, mid 2nd age)
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

Four of my very favourite Universes come to life in television.

Im currently doing that, reading through the entire story line (cronologically).

I, Robot / The Complete Robot
The Caves of Steel [ROBOTS]
The Naked Sun [ROBOTS]
Mirror Image (short story) [ROBOTS]
The Robots of Dawn [ROBOTS]
Robots and Empire [ROBOTS]
The Stars, Like Dust-- [EMPIRE]
The Currents of Space [EMPIRE]
Pebble in the Sky [EMPIRE]
Prelude to Foundation [FOUNDATION]
Forward the Foundation [FOUNDATION]
Foundation [FOUNDATION]
Foundation and Empire [FOUNDATION]
Second Foundation [FOUNDATION]
Foundation's Edge [FOUNDATION]
Foundation and Earth [FOUNDATION]
Foundation's Fear
Foundation and Chaos
Foundation's Triumph (with the super-secret extended ending by David Brin)

If anyone else was curious about what Jumpin was talking about.
Foundation series is well worth a read.

You will be surprised how well his books have aged.