By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 4 XGS Games in August 2020! Metacritic Predictions

It’s above 70, for now. This gonna be a close one

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
iceland said:
iceland said:
Flight sim - 82

Battletoads - 70

WAsteland 3 - 80

Tell me why - 71

I underestimated Flight Sim, really thought critics were gunna pick it apart. Pretty on spot for battletoads tho

Same, kinda odd since there are many problems with the installation, sim and aviation side of things. I guess graphics still rule and of course the scope of the game. Blackshark AI did a good job and it's close to flying through Google Earth 3D. As long as you stay above 200 ft it's all very pretty.

However as a flight sim the state the game is in now is still far behind FSX which sits at 80... That actually had better modeled airports (for the once not handcrafted), more varied planes, less bugs and better handling, and had all the world with live weather as well. FS 2020 will get there, but the current rating is definitely based on potential. In a generation critics have gone from rating a game at release (Drive club / Sea of thieves) back to eye candy and 'it will all be fixed' scores.

Maybe it also has to do with it being a comeback after 14 years of absence.

Score doesn't matter, the game is amazing. Just don't bother with the missions for now or airliners.

SvennoJ said:
iceland said:

I underestimated Flight Sim, really thought critics were gunna pick it apart. Pretty on spot for battletoads tho

Same, kinda odd since there are many problems with the installation, sim and aviation side of things. I guess graphics still rule and of course the scope of the game. Blackshark AI did a good job and it's close to flying through Google Earth 3D. As long as you stay above 200 ft it's all very pretty.

However as a flight sim the state the game is in now is still far behind FSX which sits at 80... That actually had better modeled airports (for the once not handcrafted), more varied planes, less bugs and better handling, and had all the world with live weather as well. FS 2020 will get there, but the current rating is definitely based on potential. In a generation critics have gone from rating a game at release (Drive club / Sea of thieves) back to eye candy and 'it will all be fixed' scores.

Score doesn't matter, the game is amazing. Just don't bother with the missions for now or airliners.

This seems like the kind of game that will get support for quite some time 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
SvennoJ said:

This seems like the kind of game that will get support for quite some time 

FSX is still supported 14 years later, 3rd party though. Hopefully MS will support it longer this time. Unfortunately one of the first DLC (London landmarks) seems to either make it worse for some people while completely crashing the game for others when they go near London. The stuff on the market place also starts pretty high, CAD 40 for another plane, CAD 20 to CAD 27 to enhance a single small airport. Anyway not different from FSX and Train Simulator. You can soon sink thousands of dollars into dlc ...

Ayy 72 right now so Im only 1 point off. Also a pretty decent rating for battletoads.

Around the Network

Played Battletoads a bit its actually pretty good. The overall presentation is better then Streets of Rage 4 but Streets of Rage 4 is more fun. Plus Streets of Rage 4 has a way higher replay value since you can unlock a ton of additional characters by replaying it.

I’m very much enjoying Battletoads. Trying to finish a play through alone on the toughest setting and then I will play with my kids.

The combat seems pretty simple and repetitive, but I’m early in the game and it’s still showing me some new stuff. I really like how each Battletoad is very different from one another with different speed, health, and attacks. I’ve also enjoyed some of the dialogue. Most of it misses and misses big time but the stuff that lands is pretty good to me. Either way it’s way better than the original, which had basically no story.

Flight Simulator dropped a point to 92 with 45 reviews in.
Battletoads holding at 72 with 37 reviews in.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

So far so good. Flight Sim exceeded expectations and BT either met them or slightly exceeded them.

Finished the game on Battletoads difficulty. Will start a new game on easy with my kids to mop up achievements. My youngest really enjoyed the platforming levels, I hated most of them. Controls were so floaty in some areas but not floaty at all in others.

Took me eight hours to beat it, died a lot in the first shmup section and the second speed bike section. I guess the meta will settle on around a 7, id probably rate it a 7.5 since it has good play time and is only $20. After my next play through I’ll probably be sitting at 13-14 hours or so, that’s longer than a lot of $60 games.

Where they went wrong of course starts with no online co-op. Some of the side stuff was just too wacky as well. That one level where you have like 10 mini games plastered on your screen, is there any way to actually tell what game you’re on other than randomly mashing buttons and seeing what moves?

I hope the game is successful enough to warrant a sequel that doesn’t take like 26 years or whatever. I’d love to see them port it to Switch and grow the fan base.