By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?

With Sony and MS releasing new hardware, will Switch be considered as 9th gen?

Yes 79 51.97%

No 73 48.03%

Total:152
160rmf said:

If by next year Apple comes with a console that triumphs PS5/XSeX on specs 5x times, have visuals effects that make a considerable leap over the next gen consoles and a 4D VR helmet (yeah, 4D! You can feel the smell in game)... I wonder... Will we enter in 10th gen by 2021?

I thought the 4th dimension was space overlapped on space.
Ei. multiples of realities, which some view as time (which it apparently isnt).

Also your eyes, and brain cannot perceive, more than 3 dimensions.
You could make a 3D VR helmet, that has some form of smell production.
(imagine 100's of small vials of bottles of perfumes, that you needed to fit into the helmet, and occasionally the helmet would spray your face with perfume)

Also yes, if Apple does make a new Console, that makese PS5/XSX seem dated, in terms of speed and technology, it would be the start of a new gen.
(However Sony & Microsoft are useing very new technology, in their consoles, so where is Apple getting this magical new stuff from? did a alien space craft, land, and it had a console onboard?)

Around the Network

I'm sorry, but is not fair the priority characteristic is only the power of the console.
And I have the question - what makes a new generation of consoles?

abdulhade said:
I'm sorry, but is not fair the priority characteristic is only the power of the console.
And I have the question - what makes a new generation of consoles?

Its not only the power.
Its also the technology.
The games, like can your console play new demanding games that release?

lets say assassin's creed valhalla, was ment to be a from the grounds buildt 9th gen game.

Will the Switch be able to run it, with its hardware?
If yes, that helps your case, if not, it doesn't.

"what makes a new generation of consoles"

have you not read anything in this thread?

Its when multiple consoles, with same-ish power, same-ish abilities (technology), playing same-ish level games, releases around the same time together. Then you have a new generation of consoles.

JRPGfan said:
160rmf said:

You are the one that is confusing everything and saying that a huge console manufacturer somehow doesn't have any part on the beginning of a new cycle of gaming consoles

Ofc they do, if they release their consoles near another console, with sameish specs/games, those 2 consoles would belong to the same generation.

If nintendo was the only console maker in the world, there would be NO generations at all.
There would only be nintendo console number x,y,z.

Geneartions are about 2 or more, consoles that are sameish, and release sameishly = both belong to the same gen, when talking about them.

This is also how generations (the word) is used, when talking about other things where the word is used.
You sound more confused than I do.

Did you actually bothered to look for the definition? Clearly not.

When you search for the meaning of generation the first thing you found is a picture of a elder woman, their daughter (probably around their 30s ) and her granddaughter ( around 10 years old). The description of the picture is " 3 generations on the same picture"

Generations are not the about the characteristics of the elements grouped within but only about the time of replacement.

For example a boy with 14 years old living in a small traditional farm with absolutely no contact with the urban life and no desire to know about it further and a girl with the same age living in a big city will share the same characteristics? So according to you they don't belong to the same generation

Just because many of you use the wrong term doesn't make it right

Last edited by 160rmf - on 05 August 2020

We reap what we sow

73 to 73

Closest vote, ever!

Around the Network

Does the Switch even exist? I say it doesn't count in whatever comparison made until someone can prove to me it exists.

Switch is nor 9th, 10th 11th gen console.
Its Switch and it doesn't complete with anything. I have switch and PS4 and they are totally different consoles

JRPGfan said:
160rmf said:

If by next year Apple comes with a console that triumphs PS5/XSeX on specs 5x times, have visuals effects that make a considerable leap over the next gen consoles and a 4D VR helmet (yeah, 4D! You can feel the smell in game)... I wonder... Will we enter in 10th gen by 2021?

I thought the 4th dimension was space overlapped on space.
Ei. multiples of realities, which some view as time (which it apparently isnt).

Also your eyes, and brain cannot perceive, more than 3 dimensions.
You could make a 3D VR helmet, that has some form of smell production.
(imagine 100's of small vials of bottles of perfumes, that you needed to fit into the helmet, and occasionally the helmet would spray your face with perfume)

Also yes, if Apple does make a new Console, that makese PS5/XSX seem dated, in terms of speed and technology, it would be the start of a new gen.
(However Sony & Microsoft are useing very new technology, in their consoles, so where is Apple getting this magical new stuff from? did a alien space craft, land, and it had a console onboard?)

I know all that. Have you ever heard about 4D Cinema? I was referring to that marketing term which I know is not the same thing as the fourth dimension that you are describing.

Maybe we could all agree that the generation in consoles is nothing more than a marketing term which have absolute no relation with general term per se

Last edited by 160rmf - on 05 August 2020

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
JRPGfan said:

Ofc they do, if they release their consoles near another console, with sameish specs/games, those 2 consoles would belong to the same generation.

If nintendo was the only console maker in the world, there would be NO generations at all.
There would only be nintendo console number x,y,z.

Geneartions are about 2 or more, consoles that are sameish, and release sameishly = both belong to the same gen, when talking about them.

This is also how generations (the word) is used, when talking about other things where the word is used.
You sound more confused than I do.

Did you actually bothered to look for the definition? Clearly not.

When you search for the meaning of generation the first thing you found is a picture of a elder woman, their daughter (probably around their 30s ) and her granddaughter ( around 10 years old). The description of the picture is " 3 generations on the same picture"

Generations are not the about the characteristics of the elements grouped within but only about the time of replacement.

For example a boy with 14 years old living in a small traditional farm with absolutely no contact with the urban life and no desire to know about it further and a girl with the same age living in a big city will share the same characteristics? So according to you they don't belong to the same generation

Just because many of you use the wrong term doesn't make it right

Not when you use the word to talk about human offspring, as birthed in order.
Grandparents -> mother -> child.

However if you talk about it in reguards to say a generation of kids (x,y,z, milleniums ect):
(this is the one most like our consoles)

Generation Z:

"The demographic cohort succeeding Millennials and preceding Generation Alpha.Researchers and popular media use the mid-to-late 1990s as starting birth years and the early 2010s as ending birth years. Most members of Generation Z have used digital technology since a young age and are comfortable with the Internet and social media, but are not necessarily digitally literate. Most members of Generation Z are the children of Generation X[1] and sometimes millennials.[2]

Do you see?
They talk about time, they talk about what sets them apart from older gens (they grew up with internet, social media, ect).

Its the same with consoles.

This would be like time, specific technologies used this gen in games, games shared library for a gen between devices.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 05 August 2020

d21lewis said:
73 to 73

Closest vote, ever!

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

This seems pretty par for the course in the years I've discussed this on YouTube, Reddit, and other avenues. I firmly stand by that Switch is ninth generation, but it's not like I am guaranteed to feel that way for the rest of my life.

I also consider Game Boy Color a successor, not an upgrade to the Game Boy. There's not a clear consensus on that either.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima