By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is everyone's PS5/Xbox Series X price predictions?

What do you think the next-gen consoles will cost?

PS5 - $500 / XSX - $500 18 60.00%

PS5 - $500 / XSX - $450 1 3.33%

PS5 - $500 / XSX - $400 3 10.00%

PS5 - $450 / XSX - $500 4 13.33%

PS5 - $450 / XSX - $450 1 3.33%

PS5 - $450 / XSX - $400 0 0%

PS5 - $400 / XSX - $500 2 6.67%

PS5 - $400 / XSX - $450 1 3.33%

PS5 - $400 / XSX - $400 0 0%

Total:30
theDX said:

I don't believe in a $100 price difference between the regular and digital PS5.

The base storage capacity is more important to the digital PS5 than the regular PS5 so it should actually be higher for that model. And a 1TB SSD costs more than a Blu-ray drive.

Edit: even if both models have the same storage capacity it still means Sony can't cut costs on the digital PS5 by reducing storage.

There is a chance that there could be a $100 difference, if Sony wants to take a hit on the cost upfront and make it up later. Before I get into that though, I wanted to say that it is confirmed (in interviews with Sony execs) that the *only* difference between the standard and digital editions is the removal of the optical drive - both have the same 825GB SSD capacity.

Now, the 4K Blu-ray drive itself is probably only around $30 to Sony. So making the Digital Edition $50 cheaper right off the bat is making it less profitable (you are removing a $30 part but lowering the price by $50). However, I could see Sony making it a full $100 cheaper because of one simple fact: they make FAR more money off digital games then retail copies. Sony and MS both have a 70/30 split on their digital stores. So, the publisher takes 70% of a $60 game, and Sony takes the other 30%. For retail games, it's closer to a flat fee - but that flat fee is FAR less than 30% of $60 because there are also actual manufacturing costs, shipping costs and of course the retailer cut. I think I read somewhere that Walmart for example keeps $20 of the $60 standard game price. Right away that only leaves $40 for for Sony/publisher to split.

In other words, Sony may make as much as 3 to 5 times off a single digital game sale versus a retail copy. And since you HAVE to buy digital on the digital edition (duh), Sony could rely on that fact to price it lower than most are predicting since they know they can make up the costs long term.

Around the Network
theDX said:
NextGen_Gamer said:

There is a chance that there could be a $100 difference, if Sony wants to take a hit on the cost upfront and make it up later. Before I get into that though, I wanted to say that it is confirmed (in interviews with Sony execs) that the *only* difference between the standard and digital editions is the removal of the optical drive - both have the same 825GB SSD capacity.

Now, the 4K Blu-ray drive itself is probably only around $30 to Sony. So making the Digital Edition $50 cheaper right off the bat is making it less profitable (you are removing a $30 part but lowering the price by $50). However, I could see Sony making it a full $100 cheaper because of one simple fact: they make FAR more money off digital games then retail copies. Sony and MS both have a 70/30 split on their digital stores. So, the publisher takes 70% of a $60 game, and Sony takes the other 30%. For retail games, it's closer to a flat fee - but that flat fee is FAR less than 30% of $60 because there are also actual manufacturing costs, shipping costs and of course the retailer cut. I think I read somewhere that Walmart for example keeps $20 of the $60 standard game price. Right away that only leaves $40 for for Sony/publisher to split.

In other words, Sony may make as much as 3 to 5 times off a single digital game sale versus a retail copy. And since you HAVE to buy digital on the digital edition (duh), Sony could rely on that fact to price it lower than most are predicting since they know they can make up the costs long term.

The problem with this strategy is that Sony tried it before with the PlayStation 3 and it didn't work out. Long term sounds nice but Sony has specific internal targets they have to hit by March 2021. If they lose $70 on every console sold but tell their investors that it's okay because they will recoup the losses over time, no one is gonna believe them. That is expecting every digital PS5 owner to spend $233 on games, preferably as soon as possible. And that's just to get even.

Ah, but the big difference between PS3 and PS5 is the all digital part. With PS3, discs were still the main way to play games. So again, a lower profit per game versus digital. But also used game sales. Remember that with a preowned sale, Sony/game publisher get NOTHING from it. 100% of a used games sale goes to GameStop/whichever store is selling it.

And $233 isn't very much (I don't know where you got that number but I'll roll with it) - let's assume most games will be $70 on PS5. Most people by two games at launch. That is $140 right off the bat. Add in another around Christmas time/early 2021. Now you are at $210. Add in one more next spring or summer. Now you are in the profit territory - all within 6 months or so from launch. And since most people own their consoles for 7+ years, that is still a LOT of future profit-making time from that customer ;) 

PS5 - $449
PS5 Digital - $399
Xbox Series X - $499
Xbox Series S - $299

I think PS5 could potentially be 50$ cheaper than the XSX.
Otherwise PS5 is just 499$ like the XSX.

PS5 - $449
PS5 Digital - $ 399
Series X - $499
Series S - $299

Looks like the Series S is $300

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243270/xbox-series-s-design-leaked-by-brad-sams-300-this-holiday/1/#4

Edit: Nvm, it later got changed to rumour.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 07 September 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850