Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is everyone's PS5/Xbox Series X price predictions?

What do you think the next-gen consoles will cost?

PS5 - $500 / XSX - $500 18 60.00%
 
PS5 - $500 / XSX - $450 1 3.33%
 
PS5 - $500 / XSX - $400 3 10.00%
 
PS5 - $450 / XSX - $500 4 13.33%
 
PS5 - $450 / XSX - $450 1 3.33%
 
PS5 - $450 / XSX - $400 0 0.00%
 
PS5 - $400 / XSX - $500 2 6.67%
 
PS5 - $400 / XSX - $450 1 3.33%
 
PS5 - $400 / XSX - $400 0 0.00%
 
Total:30

Do you guys really think a new console, Series S will launch at $299? XBox One S 1Tb is still $299!
XBox One X ended at $399. Series S won't launch for less than $349, yet I wouldn't be surprised it it simply takes the XBox One X's spot at $399.

PS5 all digital $449 likely, unless Sony bites the bullet and launches it at $399 to recoup the costs from digital only sales.

PS5 and Series X both $499.



Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
hinch said:

Yeah that would make sense. Xbox One X launched at $499 US and we got it for £449.

Saying that, PS3 did launch at £425, so.. it could be lower.

In any case we always get the short end of the stick lol

You're right, it COULD be lower, but since we've already had a console here sold at £450 (Well, £449 as you said, £1 big whoop put it in a trolley!), I reckon both companies could see that as safe ground and reason enough to do the same with these consoles too, lol.

... And like the sucker I am, I'll still pay it day one! :P

Yeah always though that 9 pricing is wierd haha like that £1 would make a difference like .99p. But sadly yeah they kinda set the bar there.

£450 is about my upper limit to what I'm willing to spend on a console, and would imagine most others.

You probably want to get in early as there will inevitably be lot of scalpers on the trigger as soon as preorders are up xP I'm still in two minds whether to buy now or later.

Last edited by hinch - on 28 July 2020

hinch said:
Bristow9091 said:

You're right, it COULD be lower, but since we've already had a console here sold at £450 (Well, £449 as you said, £1 big whoop put it in a trolley!), I reckon both companies could see that as safe ground and reason enough to do the same with these consoles too, lol.

... And like the sucker I am, I'll still pay it day one! :P

Yeah always though that 9 pricing is wierd haha like that £1 would make a difference like .99p. But sadly yeah they kinda set the bar there.

£450 is about my upper limit to what I'm willing to spend on a console, and would imagine most others.

You would have to get in early a lot of scalpers on the trigger as soon as preorders are up xP I'm still in two minds whether to buy now or later.

Honestly, I'm a little scared with how loud my PS4 Pro gets playing some games, and I've still got quite a backlog... think I'll just be shifting to playing my backlog on the PS5, better performance and no jet engine in my living room is a nice enough plus to get one right away lol :P 



Not having a jet engine during certain games is a plus, hoping there will be some big improvements in emulation as well. That would be cool.

Also the new console feeling as well.... ahhh tempting lol.



Bristow9091 said:
hinch said:

Yeah always though that 9 pricing is wierd haha like that £1 would make a difference like .99p. But sadly yeah they kinda set the bar there.

£450 is about my upper limit to what I'm willing to spend on a console, and would imagine most others.

You would have to get in early a lot of scalpers on the trigger as soon as preorders are up xP I'm still in two minds whether to buy now or later.

Honestly, I'm a little scared with how loud my PS4 Pro gets playing some games, and I've still got quite a backlog... think I'll just be shifting to playing my backlog on the PS5, better performance and no jet engine in my living room is a nice enough plus to get one right away lol :P 

The jet engine is what alerts me to the daily race starting in GT Sport! For some reason it ramps up in the pre race lobby, then when the fan slows down to inaudible the race starts. It doesn't make noise while racing (actually rendering stuff) but sounds like a jet engine during the 'chat' part. I guess the menus run at 1000 fps internally...

It will shut off when it gets too hot, don't be scared to play, but maybe headphones will help in certain games haha.



Around the Network

$589.99 Series X
$299.99 Series S
$569.99 PS5
$499.99 PS5 Digital



...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

theDX said:

I don't believe in a $100 price difference between the regular and digital PS5.

The base storage capacity is more important to the digital PS5 than the regular PS5 so it should actually be higher for that model. And a 1TB SSD costs more than a Blu-ray drive.


Edit: even if both models have the same storage capacity it still means Sony can't cut costs on the digital PS5 by reducing storage.

There is a chance that there could be a $100 difference, if Sony wants to take a hit on the cost upfront and make it up later. Before I get into that though, I wanted to say that it is confirmed (in interviews with Sony execs) that the *only* difference between the standard and digital editions is the removal of the optical drive - both have the same 825GB SSD capacity.

Now, the 4K Blu-ray drive itself is probably only around $30 to Sony. So making the Digital Edition $50 cheaper right off the bat is making it less profitable (you are removing a $30 part but lowering the price by $50). However, I could see Sony making it a full $100 cheaper because of one simple fact: they make FAR more money off digital games then retail copies. Sony and MS both have a 70/30 split on their digital stores. So, the publisher takes 70% of a $60 game, and Sony takes the other 30%. For retail games, it's closer to a flat fee - but that flat fee is FAR less than 30% of $60 because there are also actual manufacturing costs, shipping costs and of course the retailer cut. I think I read somewhere that Walmart for example keeps $20 of the $60 standard game price. Right away that only leaves $40 for for Sony/publisher to split.

In other words, Sony may make as much as 3 to 5 times off a single digital game sale versus a retail copy. And since you HAVE to buy digital on the digital edition (duh), Sony could rely on that fact to price it lower than most are predicting since they know they can make up the costs long term.



NextGen_Gamer said:
theDX said:

I don't believe in a $100 price difference between the regular and digital PS5.

The base storage capacity is more important to the digital PS5 than the regular PS5 so it should actually be higher for that model. And a 1TB SSD costs more than a Blu-ray drive.


Edit: even if both models have the same storage capacity it still means Sony can't cut costs on the digital PS5 by reducing storage.

There is a chance that there could be a $100 difference, if Sony wants to take a hit on the cost upfront and make it up later. Before I get into that though, I wanted to say that it is confirmed (in interviews with Sony execs) that the *only* difference between the standard and digital editions is the removal of the optical drive - both have the same 825GB SSD capacity.

Now, the 4K Blu-ray drive itself is probably only around $30 to Sony. So making the Digital Edition $50 cheaper right off the bat is making it less profitable (you are removing a $30 part but lowering the price by $50). However, I could see Sony making it a full $100 cheaper because of one simple fact: they make FAR more money off digital games then retail copies. Sony and MS both have a 70/30 split on their digital stores. So, the publisher takes 70% of a $60 game, and Sony takes the other 30%. For retail games, it's closer to a flat fee - but that flat fee is FAR less than 30% of $60 because there are also actual manufacturing costs, shipping costs and of course the retailer cut. I think I read somewhere that Walmart for example keeps $20 of the $60 standard game price. Right away that only leaves $40 for for Sony/publisher to split.

In other words, Sony may make as much as 3 to 5 times off a single digital game sale versus a retail copy. And since you HAVE to buy digital on the digital edition (duh), Sony could rely on that fact to price it lower than most are predicting since they know they can make up the costs long term.

The problem with this strategy is that Sony tried it before with the PlayStation 3 and it didn't work out. Long term sounds nice but Sony has specific internal targets they have to hit by March 2021. If they lose $70 on every console sold but tell their investors that it's okay because they will recoup the losses over time, no one is gonna believe them. That is expecting every digital PS5 owner to spend $233 on games, preferably as soon as possible. And that's just to get even.



theDX said:
NextGen_Gamer said:

There is a chance that there could be a $100 difference, if Sony wants to take a hit on the cost upfront and make it up later. Before I get into that though, I wanted to say that it is confirmed (in interviews with Sony execs) that the *only* difference between the standard and digital editions is the removal of the optical drive - both have the same 825GB SSD capacity.

Now, the 4K Blu-ray drive itself is probably only around $30 to Sony. So making the Digital Edition $50 cheaper right off the bat is making it less profitable (you are removing a $30 part but lowering the price by $50). However, I could see Sony making it a full $100 cheaper because of one simple fact: they make FAR more money off digital games then retail copies. Sony and MS both have a 70/30 split on their digital stores. So, the publisher takes 70% of a $60 game, and Sony takes the other 30%. For retail games, it's closer to a flat fee - but that flat fee is FAR less than 30% of $60 because there are also actual manufacturing costs, shipping costs and of course the retailer cut. I think I read somewhere that Walmart for example keeps $20 of the $60 standard game price. Right away that only leaves $40 for for Sony/publisher to split.

In other words, Sony may make as much as 3 to 5 times off a single digital game sale versus a retail copy. And since you HAVE to buy digital on the digital edition (duh), Sony could rely on that fact to price it lower than most are predicting since they know they can make up the costs long term.

The problem with this strategy is that Sony tried it before with the PlayStation 3 and it didn't work out. Long term sounds nice but Sony has specific internal targets they have to hit by March 2021. If they lose $70 on every console sold but tell their investors that it's okay because they will recoup the losses over time, no one is gonna believe them. That is expecting every digital PS5 owner to spend $233 on games, preferably as soon as possible. And that's just to get even.

Ah, but the big difference between PS3 and PS5 is the all digital part. With PS3, discs were still the main way to play games. So again, a lower profit per game versus digital. But also used game sales. Remember that with a preowned sale, Sony/game publisher get NOTHING from it. 100% of a used games sale goes to GameStop/whichever store is selling it.

And $233 isn't very much (I don't know where you got that number but I'll roll with it) - let's assume most games will be $70 on PS5. Most people by two games at launch. That is $140 right off the bat. Add in another around Christmas time/early 2021. Now you are at $210. Add in one more next spring or summer. Now you are in the profit territory - all within 6 months or so from launch. And since most people own their consoles for 7+ years, that is still a LOT of future profit-making time from that customer ;) 



NextGen_Gamer said:
theDX said:

The problem with this strategy is that Sony tried it before with the PlayStation 3 and it didn't work out. Long term sounds nice but Sony has specific internal targets they have to hit by March 2021. If they lose $70 on every console sold but tell their investors that it's okay because they will recoup the losses over time, no one is gonna believe them. That is expecting every digital PS5 owner to spend $233 on games, preferably as soon as possible. And that's just to get even.

Ah, but the big difference between PS3 and PS5 is the all digital part. With PS3, discs were still the main way to play games. So again, a lower profit per game versus digital. But also used game sales. Remember that with a preowned sale, Sony/game publisher get NOTHING from it. 100% of a used games sale goes to GameStop/whichever store is selling it.

And $233 isn't very much (I don't know where you got that number but I'll roll with it) - let's assume most games will be $70 on PS5. Most people by two games at launch. That is $140 right off the bat. Add in another around Christmas time/early 2021. Now you are at $210. Add in one more next spring or summer. Now you are in the profit territory - all within 6 months or so from launch. And since most people own their consoles for 7+ years, that is still a LOT of future profit-making time from that customer ;) 

The average consumer will buy like 9 or 10 full priced games over the entire lifespan of a console. 4 games in the first 5 months is not gonna happen...

With the PS3 don't forget it was also supposed to popularize Blu-ray, so Sony probably expected movie sales as well.