By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS5 launch price cheaper than expected.

While circulating prices indicate 399/499, Sony will luckily change it to to 349/449. You heard it here first. 

Around the Network

Please let this be true. CAD has been terrible.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I guess the standard PS5 will be 499 but who knows how much cheaper the one without disc drive will be. Ensuring that every sold game will be digital could be a reason to push that console a lot even to people who would prefer the one with drive. So much more money per sold game then and a much smaller used games market. 

Nah it’s gonna be like 599-699

Why though? Sony knows that the demand will be pretty high and I believe that the production costs are also pretty high, so why should they feel the need to devalue their product so much?

Around the Network

No, $349 for those specs would see a return to PS3 levels of money loss.

The cheapest you can expect to get a PS5 is $449 but I expect the standard ps5 will be $499.

Barkley said:

No, $349 for those specs would see a return to PS3 levels of money loss.

The cheapest you can expect to get a PS5 is $449 but I expect the standard ps5 will be $499.

I agree, i dont think they can afford a price point 350$ on the go. This will make them lose a lot of money, and Sony didnt have a good time in past years as a "whole" - company, expect the gaming department. 

I still think they will propably sell the system below or inline with the manufacturing&logistics costs, but not "far" below, so u cant really expect a price point below 400$. 

Losing 50$ on every console seems not a big deal, but if they sell 10 million in they first year. This means a 500 million dollars loss just from their hardware department. And this is a lot for Sony and cant be nullifield by software sales. As software sales grows with the userbase. So from the bussnies perspective its just simple to much loss. 

Captain_Yuri said:
Please let this be true. CAD has been terrible.

I feel your pain, 80+ dollar a game is insane tbh. 

Those prices would be really crazy, even if they're possible. That would mean the PS5 is about the same price as the PS4 launch adjusted for inflation. That's huge because the PS5 has a 4K Blu-ray drive and an SSD. And the Digital PS5 would be even cheaper than the launch PS4 both with and without inflation.
I think 499/599 is very possible. 449/549 is quite likely, or 399/499. I would be very surprised if its anything below 399/499.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Let us pray.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."