By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Over 3 years in, Switch is still missing basic features.

Vodacixi said:
Hiku said:

I like to be able to see which games I played and when. They're like a digital footprint. I can see when I started a game, and when I beat the final boss, or some other milestone.
Whenever there's a topic that asks "Games you've beaten in 2018?" etc, the first thing I do is look at my Trophies to recall.

Yeah, I know what trophies do. And I know that many people like to see those statistics. Trophies do nothing for me though. I don't need to keep track of any of the information you mention because 1: I don't play that many games a year to not remember them; and 2: It's not something I find useful to remember anyway.

Plus, I see trophies themselves as something that constantly remind me that I'm playing a videogame. They totally break the inmersion to me. They just feel like something OUT of the game instead of something from INSIDE the game. It's like having an annoying person next to me telling me what should I do in the game.

I don't find interesting comparing with other people either. "I have this trophy that only 5% of the players have". Ok I guess?

I don't know, I don't like them. I get why people like them and I respect it, but if Nintendo doesn't end up adding them it would be great for me.

You know you can turn achivements display off.... if Nintendo add them properly.

So them adding it wouldn't affect people who don't want to see them in any way.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Vodacixi said:

Yeah, I know what trophies do. And I know that many people like to see those statistics. Trophies do nothing for me though. I don't need to keep track of any of the information you mention because 1: I don't play that many games a year to not remember them; and 2: It's not something I find useful to remember anyway.

Plus, I see trophies themselves as something that constantly remind me that I'm playing a videogame. They totally break the inmersion to me. They just feel like something OUT of the game instead of something from INSIDE the game. It's like having an annoying person next to me telling me what should I do in the game.

I don't find interesting comparing with other people either. "I have this trophy that only 5% of the players have". Ok I guess?

I don't know, I don't like them. I get why people like them and I respect it, but if Nintendo doesn't end up adding them it would be great for me.

You know you can turn achivements display off.... if Nintendo add them properly.

So them adding it wouldn't affect people who don't want to see them in any way.

I know. Still, their mere existance already reminds that they are something incredibly artificial. It's like the developers directly telling people what they should do to enjoy the game. So, while I can (and I do) turn them off, I don't like them anyway.

I'm not saying I would be pissed if they add them. I rather they don't, but they are not something I would be angry they add. I'm just saying that if they keep not having them it's fine to me.

Vodacixi said:
Hiku said:

I like to be able to see which games I played and when. They're like a digital footprint. I can see when I started a game, and when I beat the final boss, or some other milestone.
Whenever there's a topic that asks "Games you've beaten in 2018?" etc, the first thing I do is look at my Trophies to recall.

Yeah, I know what trophies do.

That was unclear to me since you said "plain stupid". 

Vodacixi said: I don't play that many games a year to not remember them; and 2: It's not something I find useful to remember anyway.

Some times I can forget even if I've played few games that year. But another example was when I thought to myself "Did I play Metal Gear Solid 4 in 2012 or 2014?"
As I looked through my trophies, the confusion became clear. I started the game in 2012, then took a 2 year break before getting back to it in 2014.

Vodacixi said:

You can turn off Trophy notifications if it bothers you.

Vodacixi said:

For me it's mainly comparing with my friends, for future conversations, or just to know in general. But if you don't have friends on your system, that wouldn't do much obviously.

~Edit~

Vodacixi said:

I know. Still, their mere existance already reminds that they are something incredibly artificial. It's like the developers directly telling people what they should do to enjoy the game. So, while I can (and I do) turn them off, I don't like them anyway.

Like a prompt showing up teaching you to "Press X to attack"? Or earning different rewards based on how much the fish you just caught weighs?
Things like that are pretty standard in most games I imagine. And things like that never break my immersion. An example of what does is someone acting completely out of character, to the point where I can't believe their action.

Last edited by Hiku - on 30 July 2020

Hiku said:
Vodacixi said:

Yeah, I know what trophies do.

Vodacixi said: I don't play that many games a year to not remember them; and 2: It's not something I find useful to remember anyway.

Some times I can forget even if I've played few games that year. But another example was when I thought to myself "Did I play Metal Gear Solid 4 in 2012 or 2014?"
As I looked through my trophies, the confusion became clear. I started the game in 2012, then took a 2 year break before getting back to it in 2014.

Vodacixi said:

But one thing I like is that it will take a screenshot at the moment you recieved the trophy and attach it to it, so you'll also have visual representation of it.

Vodacixi said:

For me it's mainly comparing with my friends, for future conversations, or just to know in general. But if you don't have friends on your system, that wouldn't do much obviously.

~Edit~

Vodacixi said:

Like a prompt teaching you to "Press X to attack"? Or earning rewards in game based on how much the fish you just caught weighs?
That's pretty difficult to avoid in most games I imagine. And things like that never break my immersion. An example of what does is some acting completely out of character, to the point where I can't believe their action.

I find them plain stupid. To me. I didn't think I had to clarify that, but there you go. 

Again, I get that some of you care about knowing when you played X game and when you did certain things at X game. I don't care about that information. I. Me. Don't. Care. You do. I don't.

I don't care about capturing predefined moments in videogames. I like to record certain gameplay moments, but having a screenshot everytime I beat a story segment or I do a certain tasks doesn't have any uses for me. 

And the "press X to attack" or any in-game tutorial is fine to me because they are IN the game. Trophies are a list of actions outside of the game telling me what to do in the game. In my mind is not the same. I see your point though... 

I only really would like the messaging feature. There have been many times I wanted to join my brothers game but I couldn't get him to open the room he is in. I know people may ask why not just call your brother and my response is he is absolutely terrible at answering his phone and responding to text messages once he is engrossed in a game(it's quite annoying actually lol)

Around the Network

I saw a video the other day on youtube that was like "5 reasons why we (as in gamers) don't care about achievements anymore". Which was basically like they were novel when they first came out but then people realized there isn't much point to them. Also I guess some obscure achievements forced players who liked getting achievements to just blow a bunch of time trying to get this artificial achievement that didn't expand the game any it's just an arbitrary difficult absurd achievement to get.

My thought is always: achievements are build into the progress of the game, why do you need these outside-the-game system-wide achievements system? Ya know like stuff that happens in the game, you don't need system-wide check marks. I'm playing Dead Cells a lot which has these checkmark achievements in the game itself, sure its cool to get them. I guess I'm at the point where it's hard to get new ones now since I'm like 45 hours into the game. Do I care about going out of my way to get obscure achievements? No. Am I constantly looking at my achievements list? No. Would I care to compare my achievements list to other gamers? No. But sure it's cool when when pops up. But again, achievements are arbitrary checkmarks, they aren't part of the actual progression of the game, its just like oh did you do some random thing: checkmark. Having a system-wide achievement feature just seems like...who cares. If specific developers want to include a list actually in-game like Dead Cells, cool, doesn't really add anything to the game but its kinda cool to see what developers viewed as random checkmark things to do while playing the game. But as the youtube video states, I guess plenty of people don't care about achievement anymore after they lost the novelty wore off.

Anyway, for people who like PSXbox achievements that's cool. But enough already with the Nintendo HAS to have achievements. No it really doesn't. It'd be fine if they have it, but if they don't I feel sorry for you if that makes a big difference in playing games to you. Out of the things Nintendo should add, achievements is entirely unnecessary and very low on the list. Add more systems to the VC absolutely, better online with messaging and voice chat definitely, better activity log would be nice to have but not a major thing. Everything else in the list are not big deals except for Ethernet if you happen to have shitty wifi in your home or no wifi for some reason.

Baddman said:
I only really would like the messaging feature. There have been many times I wanted to join my brothers game but I couldn't get him to open the room he is in. I know people may ask why not just call your brother and my response is he is absolutely terrible at answering his phone and responding to text messages once he is engrossed in a game(it's quite annoying actually lol)

Yeah missing online features is the main problem of the Switch. Messaging would be hugely helpful. Like, how in 2020 can you not message your friend on the system to play a game. Not only is it way more convenient if you are both gaming to see a message pop up on the screen, sometimes you may just have friends on the system you made through gaming and that is your only point of contact, so without messaging there is literally no way to communicate with them. Messaging and voice chat I'd say are the two big missing online features. If Switch had those two things it still probably wouldn't be as robust an online setup as the other systems but it would be perfectly adequate, and at $20 a year perfectly adequate is fine.

Really the OP's list should have been three things:

1. Messaging

2. Voice Chat

3. More systems represented on the VC

Those are the big three things that the Switch is currently lacking from a software features side.

Vodacixi said:
Hiku said:

Vodacixi said:

But one thing I like is that it will take a screenshot at the moment you recieved the trophy and attach it to it, so you'll also have visual representation of it.

Vodacixi said:

~Edit~

Like a prompt teaching you to "Press X to attack"? Or earning rewards in game based on how much the fish you just caught weighs?
That's pretty difficult to avoid in most games I imagine. And things like that never break my immersion. An example of what does is some acting completely out of character, to the point where I can't believe their action.

I find them plain stupid. To me. I didn't think I had to clarify that, but there you go. 

Again, I get that some of you care about knowing when you played X game and when you did certain things at X game. I don't care about that information. I. Me. Don't. Care. You do. I don't.

I don't care about capturing predefined moments in videogames. I like to record certain gameplay moments, but having a screenshot everytime I beat a story segment or I do a certain tasks doesn't have any uses for me. 

And the "press X to attack" or any in-game tutorial is fine to me because they are IN the game. Trophies are a list of actions outside of the game telling me what to do in the game. In my mind is not the same. I see your point though... 

It was always clear that you thought so. What was unclear was why.
I've heard people not uncommonly express that they think trophies are stupid (or something to that effect) because they don't care about bragging rights, as if they didn't consider any other uses for them. So if you don't clarify why you find them plain stupid, which sounds pretty sweeping, then I may be unsure if you considered their other uses.
Though people online rarely want to admit that they didn't consider something anyway, so it can be hard to tell either way.
Being bothered by it because it's outside of the game, even if you can turn it off, does sound a bit weird, but I'll take your word for it.

I mainly just wanted to point out some of the less commonly brought up reasons people can enjoy them. Whether to you or anyone else reading.

Slownenberg said:
I saw a video the other day on youtube that was like "5 reasons why we (as in gamers) don't care about achievements anymore". Which was basically like they were novel when they first came out but then people realized there isn't much point to them. Also I guess some obscure achievements forced players who liked getting achievements to just blow a bunch of time trying to get this artificial achievement that didn't expand the game any it's just an arbitrary difficult absurd achievement to get.

My thought is always: achievements are build into the progress of the game, why do you need these outside-the-game system-wide achievements system? Ya know like stuff that happens in the game, you don't need system-wide check marks. I'm playing Dead Cells a lot which has these checkmark achievements in the game itself, sure its cool to get them. I guess I'm at the point where it's hard to get new ones now since I'm like 45 hours into the game. Do I care about going out of my way to get obscure achievements? No. Am I constantly looking at my achievements list? No. Would I care to compare my achievements list to other gamers? No. But sure it's cool when when pops up. But again, achievements are arbitrary checkmarks, they aren't part of the actual progression of the game, its just like oh did you do some random thing: checkmark. Having a system-wide achievement feature just seems like...who cares. If specific developers want to include a list actually in-game like Dead Cells, cool, doesn't really add anything to the game but its kinda cool to see what developers viewed as random checkmark things to do while playing the game. But as the youtube video states, I guess plenty of people don't care about achievement anymore after they lost the novelty wore off.

Don't know if you read my post earlier, but one reason I find milestone achievements (such as after you beat a story boss/temple, etc) useful is that it's a virtual footprint of my gameplay. For example, a while back I was trying to remember if I played MGS4 in 2012 or 2014. Both sounded correct, because I could associate certain moments in the game with events that happened in both years. So I went to look at my trophies as I normally do when I have a hard time remembering what I played when, and saw that I started the game in 2012, played through about half the game, then took a 2 year long break and came back to finish the rest of it in 2014.

These can also be useful if you want to check in on a friend's progress in a game, possibly to avoid spoilers if you discuss the game with them.
Which I did a few days ago before asking a friend to let me watch them play a game through Share Play.

Is this a priority for Switch? I'd say no. But it seems like a fairly simple thing to implement, which is probably why people are surprised it's still not there.

Last edited by Hiku - on 03 August 2020