Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 vs Xbox SX exclusive games

Which console has the better set of announced exclusive games in your opinion?

PS5 52 68.42%

Xbox Series X 24 31.58%

Total:76
DPsx7 said:
Snoopy said:

The reason I prefer xbox exclusives is because they are multiplayer focused and last longer. Sea of theive, Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon/Motorsport, and Everwild are games I will play multiple times. Whereas games like God of war and bloodborne do have amazing SP, but I know I won't play it more than twice once I am finished.

Interesting, I feel the opposite. Give me a good SP to play for a week then I'll move to the next. GoW was good. BB not so much, there wasn't a boss in the first area so I quit and went to play GTA5, never went back to it. It's better than buying DLC for 3 years until the next big MP game.

Add to that some of us are adults who barely got time to play anymore. I think it took me like 3 weeks to beat god of war playing an hour or 2 after work some days. And weekend family stuff. I have no time to play multyplayer games even if I wanted.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:

Add to that some of us are adults who barely got time to play anymore. I think it took me like 3 weeks to beat god of war playing an hour or 2 after work some days. And weekend family stuff. I have no time to play multyplayer games even if I wanted.

I'm fortunate to not be in that situation. I don't date and my area is kinda boring (more than usual since some stuff is still locked down), so once I get home from work gaming is my go-to thing. I play some MP but like I said in a different topic my backlog is out of hand so by the time I get to a game that has an online component it's usually empty.

Jaicee said:
COKTOE said:

True! It was so long ago, I had to look it up, but the first game I owned with a female "lead character", and I use the term loosely, was Cabbage Patch Kids on the ColecoVision which I got in 1983. After that, outside of 16-bit (and beyond) JRPG's and fighting games, which both deserve a nod, the next game with a female lead I played was Tomb Raider on the PS1 in 1996. Quite a gap.

I found more than that, but that's because, as you might understand, I consciously looked for them. It was no small feat though and there were whole years without any that I noticed. I mean I didn't even notice or think about this stuff for a while, but after long enough when you find yourself playing in mixed company, you couldn't help it.

The game that actually got me into gaming for the first time was the original Metroid back in 1987. Apparently it was a big deal at the time that protagonist Samus Aran was revealed to be a woman at the end of the game. My take on it at age six was that...I always just imagined myself as the person in the suit instinctively anyway, so the revelation didn't even register as significant in my brain. Other, older people apparently just assumed that Samus was male because of the muscular build of her armored suit; they had more established prejudices that way. The instruction booklet I later noticed deceptively advanced that idea by using male pronouns to describe Samus. (Today she's probably be accordingly canonized as a transman, lol!) In time though, I came notice the rarity of characters like her in games.

I don't know if I'd really hold up old RPGs and fighting games as greatly exceptional to this rule either. I think you'll notice, on even just a cursory observation, that the female characters in JRPGs back then were almost always secondary characters in your team, and more specifically assigned to the healing, supporting type roles primarily. There were gender roles, in other words. In fighting games you'd have maybe one or two women to choose from and well let me use the example of the original Mortal Kombat to get at what I'm trying to say. In the original Mortal Kombat, there was one woman you could choose to play as. In the default totem poll, she was designated the lowest rung, meaning she was supposed to be the easiest to beat because woman. Her fatality move was the Kiss of Death because woman. (Imagine if there had been one other woman in the game to perform the Kiss of Death on! ) If two girls played the game in two-player mode, one of them had to use a male avatar, which of course was never weird or awkward. You could find maybe some secondary exceptions to these rules if you wanted to fish for examples (like Chun-Li from Street Fighter II or characters like Lucca and Ayla in Chrono Trigger or main protagonist Terra in Final Fantasy VI...these characters and some others didn't seem like stereotypes, but here we're fishing for exceptional cases. These examples were NOT the rule!)

And I mean the type of climate I'm talking about here isn't just confined to ancient history either. I'm not just talking about how things were decades ago, I'm talking about like 8 years ago. Things were totally different just like 8 years ago! There was a study that came out back then that found the male-to-female ratio of current-gen video game protagonists was 14 to 1. And of course this lack of quantity also came with a certain lack of quality attached as well that feminist critics have spoken to in more recent years. I'm happy things aren't still that way anymore.

Ok. This is so hard to respond to on my phone. :) I had to choose between doing it today, or waiting until tomorrow when I get back home. I wasn't nearly articulate enough. When I said that JRPG's and fighting games deserved a nod, I was lazily trying to say that although there were female characters, they weren't leads. An acknowledgement of something being there though. A nod if you will. Having said that, I'm the type if person who gets attached to the characters in games. I never really think of any of the characters as secondary. Honestly, I could say much the same about almost anything I like, or have ever liked. From Jimbo Jones on The Simpsons ( as true of an example of an ancillary characteras you're going to get), to Terrible Tornado in the One Punch Man Anime. The women in JRPG's did tend to be healers or support more often than the men. I want to point out that I only played a smattering of JRPG's in the 16 and 32 bit eras, so while not totally ignorant on the topic, I'm not the most well versed on those games by a long shot. Started playing them more in the early/mid 2000's. I'm not sure what to say about the gender role thing. I'm going to look into some of the games I played to get a better feel of how the characters were handled, at least in terms of class. It's been a long time.

So, you're dropping some nice stuff on me here. Was Sonya always at the bottom of the pole? Really? If I were on a quiz show, and was asked how the totem was organized, I would have answered that it was randomized. At least in Street Fighter, the path to the final 4 bosses was random. 

Going backwards a little bit, I now want to see if I can read the Metroid manual online. Very interesting information.

I have to apologize for leaving things here, and for the quality of what it did respond to. I am slightly tired, mildly uncomfortable, and I don't like using the phone for addressing anything as detailed as your post is. I would have responded before I left home but had to get my Nep on before I left, or it would have been 3 days with no games. I had ridiculously good time.

Chinese food for breakfast

DPsx7 said:
COKTOE said:

Well, with Metroid, the female character angle could be distilled down to "Surprise, Motherfuckers!". If I had any thoughts towards Samus' gender as I was playing it, they were surely that the character was male. I played Super Metroid too. Brilliant game btw. I suppose that counts, even though Samus was always armor-clad, I did know the character was female. I missed all the Resident Evil ladies I played as: Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Ada Wong, Rebecca Chambers.

I only watched friends play Parasite Eve. Was always interested in Dino Crisis, but never got around to it. Thank for the memory jog tho.

You wonder if people would have been reluctant to buy Metroid if that fact was plastered on the cover. And it was only revealed when you finished quickly.

Yeah there are more but I don't think the point was to find them all. Ha. Princess Peach, Fatal Frame, Silent Hill 3, Beyond Good and Evil, I'd have to look for earlier ones. Guess I never really thought about it since you're just playing as the character instead of putting yourself into the game. Ya know?

I tend to think it would have sold less.

As far as finding them all not being the point, you were asking about game Metroid, Dino Crisis, ect, so recall seemed to be in play. Anyways, I was struggling to think of examples, so I'm happy to get an assist on that. Like Beyond Good And Evil! The game so nice I bought it twice. OG Xbox and PS3.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 26 July 2020

Chinese food for breakfast

wccftech is reporting that "The medium" is comeing to the PS5 lateron (ei. its a timed exclusive).

culturedvultures.com has quote from a reporter (from kotaku) talking to them, and asked about the game’s exclusivity.

This was there reply:
“At this time we are announcing Xbox Series X and Windows PC platforms. We will discuss other platforms and their availability at a future date.”

Which is basically a "we cant talk about it (for now)" answear.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 July 2020

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

wccftech is reporting that "The medium" is comeing to the PS5 lateron (ei. its a timed exclusive).

culturedvultures.com has quote from a reporter (from kotaku) talking to them, and asked about the game’s exclusivity.

This was there reply:
“At this time we are announcing Xbox Series X and Windows PC platforms. We will discuss other platforms and their availability at a future date.”

Well after Blair Witch and the 'console launch exclusive' at the Xbox showcase, I can't say I'm surprised.

It doesn't look that good to me anyways. But I hope it's good nonetheless. 

I have to be honest, both feel unoriginal to me. PS5's lineup seems like PS4 but 1.5.
And Xbox well, there wasn't anything big that was close to release except Halo which looked fine.

My most anticipated games from both of them are indie games.

JRPGfan said:

This was there reply:

I was finally able to edit the first post. I added "probably timed" to The Medium.

Pok87 said:

Console Exclusive:

PS5:
- Astro's playroom
- Demon's Souls
- Destruction All stars
- Gran Turismo 7
- Horizon 2: Forbidden West
- Spiderman Miles Morales
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Sackboy Big Adventure
- Returnal
- Quantum Error (maybe timed)
- Heavenly Bodies

Xbox Series X:
- Halo Infinite
- Grounded
- Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Gears Tactics
- Scorn
- The Ascent (maybe timed)
- Hellblade II
- Avowed
- The Medium (probably timed)
- Fable
- Forza Motorsport
- Everwild
- Project Mara
- The Gunk (maybe timed)
- CrossFireX (maybe timed)
- As Dusk Falls
- State of Decay 3

Timed Console Exclusive:

PS5:
- Bugsnax
- Godfall
- Goodbye Volcano High
- Jett: The Far Shore
- Kena
- Project Athia
- Oddworld: Soulstorm
- Little Devil Inside
- GhostWire: Tokyo
- Deathloop
- Stray

Xbox Series X:
- Call of the Sea
- Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2
- Tetris Effect: Connected
- Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
- Echo Generation
- ExoMecha
-
Second Extinction: Reclaim Earth
-
Hello Neighbor 2

- 12 Minutes
- Dead Static Drive
- Lake
- Last Stop
- Mad Streets
- Sable
- Shredders
- Song of Iron
- The Artful Escape
- The Big Con
- The Falconeer
- Tunic
- Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy

If I have made a mistake or missed something, please correct it. I had a bit problems with the exclusivity of some Xbox games.

What do you think about this comparison? Which set of exclusive games is better? What games are you waiting for?

I don't think it counts as an exclusive if I can get it on PC.  Not playing GT7 on PC, but there will definitely be Forza.  On that, Xbox has like one or two actual exclusives. Therefore, PS5 has better exclusives, because there's no way those 2 Xbox exclusives will trump all of the PS5 exclusives.

And I don't think of "console exclusives" to give a pass to games that comes to PC, as if the PC isn't also a home device.  The fact of the matter is that I have not, nor will ever, own an xbox, and can still play Forza, halo, Gears, and Killer Instinct, etc.

Though, if I'm being completely honest, only destruction all-stars is interesting to me, apart from GT7.  And I'm not even a big car fan, so the PS4 exclusives aren't really doing much for me outside of that.

Horizon 2, maybe, but how much is the game really going to evolve past press Square to melee, shoot a few arrows, and jump?  We've had these linear story driven games since PS3, and I don't have faith in developers using the PS5's power to give us something that feels truly next gen. Detroit: Become Human and Batman: Arkham Knight are the only PS4 games I've ever finished. It's mostly to do with I mostly only play competitive games but the story games don't seem to be special anymore.  I've played Uncharted 2-3, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Batman, etc on PS3.  The sequels on PS4, and PC just doesn't do anything for me, because they all feel like the same type of game.

I wont say those games are just strictly shooting galleries with a story behind them, (That was Max Payne 3, and omg did that game burn me out after the Brazil section)  But they don't expand enough on gameplay to keep me interested these days.

shikamaru317 said:

Some months they are trash, but other months they have good games on GWG. For instance, just in the last 12 months, GWG has had games like Tekken 6, Jurassic World Evolution, both seasons of Telltale's Batman, 2 Shantae games, Call of Cthulhu, Ninja Gaiden 3, Sonic Generations, and Saints Row 2. I reckon they could get at least 2 more decent games on Gamepass each month with the GWG money. 

Hard to believe Tekken 6 is like 13 years old already.  That's what I call a real console exclusive, and it's so old you can't get it digital on PS3, because it's older than the Sony regulation to push all physical games to their digital store.  Sonic Generations is another 9+ year old game, and the physics are really janky.  I wonder if Ninja Gaiden 3 is any good, but if you can't tell the difference between Tekken 6 or 7, then you haven't played the games you're commending GWG for having.

Last edited by Burning Typhoon - on 28 July 2020

The only games I care about on either so far are Halo Infinite and Horizon Forbidden West.

If I had to choose between those two right now, I'd go with Halo as it has at least shown gameplay and it looked fun.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.