By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console War - The July Events stand-off

Which lastest show was better?

PS5 58 67.44%

XSX 23 26.74%

Total:81

lol, Switch? 

For real though, as far as events this year Sony is still winning. 

As far as Xbox is concerned...Phil really likes to hype stuff to hell and then disappoint people so I think he should stop doing that. 

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 24 July 2020

Around the Network

I think MS's press conference had more games that interested me personally while Sony's press conference showed what we could expect from next gen games.

I think Sony's press conference was better overall as they showcased a lot of things at once. We finally got to see what the console looks like, we got to see a taste of some next gen technologies such as ray tracing with ratchet, we got to see SE's next big project and etc.

Microsoft's press conference started a bit meh with Halo looking pretty current gen visually however the gameplay looked really fun. As it went on, it got better and better with things like Stalker2 as well as giving us some names like Avowed and Fable. We already knew what the Series X looked like so obviously, there wasn't any big hardware reveal. The best thing about it is that all of those games will be available on gamepass.

While neither press conference showed off the Infamous SS level of graphical upgrade. Overall I'll give it to Sony.

Lol @Switch option

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

SpokenTruth said:
As a known Nintendo fan, I will not be voting for the Direct because that really wasn't intended to be a major showcase like the other two events.

I've not seen the entirety of the other two either so I won't vote up top but of the bits I have seen, it's definitely a Sony win here.

Very fair comment. Now if you would put all Directs from January to July for Switch, would you consider it better than PS?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Very fair comment. Now if you would put all Directs from January to July for Switch, would you consider it better than PS?

I'd have to go back and watch the earlier ones.  I don't recall them too well at the moment. 

No problem. I ask because I haven't entered but seem a thread of someone complaining about the bleakness of releases announced for Switch so far this year even though we have already had ACNH and Paper Mario with both doing from good to great on reception and sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

At this point, I kinda like both but really don't feel the need to buy either. Both showed off some good games that I look forward to playing but don't feel like I NEED to play this year.

Truth be told, I'm playing last year's Plague Tale and being blown away by the visuals. Since the beginning of the 7th gen back in 2005, the quality of launch games haven't been much better graphically than the previous gen's swan song titles and that's how I feel about the two upcoming consoles based on these conferences.

So I'm going with a tie. On one hand I'm happy with all of the new software. On the other, I don't really feel like I need new hardware.

Around the Network

The PS5 event. Several games Im excited about.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

No problem. I ask because I haven't entered but seem a thread of someone complaining about the bleakness of releases announced for Switch so far this year even though we have already had ACNH and Paper Mario with both doing from good to great on reception and sales.

Nintendo has been stingier than usual with game announcements this year.  Yet at the same time when they do announce a game it's likely launching in just 2 months.  So you get this feeling by some that Nintendo is slacking on games because you can't see a list that has dates 8-12 months ahead while still getting new games.

The effect of bulking up a list to show 10-20 games have the impression that they are doing more, even if 80% of those you probably won't care or play when release versus Nintendo keeping it short and focused on what is coming near, when comparing it is easy to see why people would think Nintendo isn't doing much.

Interesting is that when I made the thread couple minutes later it was like
PS - 5
Xbox - 7
Switch - 1

Now couple hours later PS reversed it
PS - 11
Xbox - 7
Switch - 1

I guess because of the thread on the Xbox reveal there were more Xbox members live when I posted the thread or just because it was more recent on memory and they were happy with the show they voted for it.

DonFerrari said:
SpokenTruth said:

Nintendo has been stingier than usual with game announcements this year.  Yet at the same time when they do announce a game it's likely launching in just 2 months.  So you get this feeling by some that Nintendo is slacking on games because you can't see a list that has dates 8-12 months ahead while still getting new games.

The effect of bulking up a list to show 10-20 games have the impression that they are doing more, even if 80% of those you probably won't care or play when release versus Nintendo keeping it short and focused on what is coming near, when comparing it is easy to see why people would think Nintendo isn't doing much.

Well the two biggest games in the last Direct are TBA 2021 releases, so...

Playstation one actually had a few moment of "wow these graphics" type of deals.
There was NOTHING like it, at the xbox event.

Halo Infinate was supposed to save the day.... and it was really lacking.
Gameplay looked avg, and graphics looked current gen or so.
That was a huge let down.

Fable teaser was cool, but thats supposedly early production? so it ll be years and years until its out.
State of Decay 3 trailer? looked awesome, but again its just CGI, and trust levels cant be high with these guys. State of Decay 2, was basically just State of decay 1, with very minimum improvements, and tons of bugs and glitches, early on. You cant expect them to suddenly have a massive jump in quality of work, and graphics, when before when makeing State of Decay 2 they barely bothered to make use of the newer hardware to do anything.

Hellblade wasn't shown either.... overall there wasnt much gameplay at the event.

So yeah... Playstation won that by a mile.