By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Origami King is my favourite Paper Mario game.

Absolutely love Paper Mario origami King, in fact it has surpassed Thousand year door as my favourite in the series. I know the more modern Paper Mario games come in for criticism but this games is so well crafted, with excellent writing and shock horror, I really love the new battle system. The battle system is even better during boss fights which are excellent and pose a decent challenge. I'm pleasantly surprised how good this game is. 

Around the Network

Glad to hear it. I don't have it yet, but I plan on buying and playing it in the near future.

If you judged it solely on the writing would it still be in conversation for your favorite or is the total package?

FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:

If you judged it solely on the writing would it still be in conversation for your favorite or is the total package?

Not sure on what you're asking but from what I've played the writing probably is the best in the series so far.

Wyrdness said:

Not sure on what you're asking but from what I've played the writing probably is the best in the series so far.

I’m skeptical of the battle system (I prefer my Paper Mario as an RPG) so I didn’t know how much that influenced your opinion versus the writing. 

note: I’ve been online for hours and I haven’t gone to bed yet so I apologize for poor wording. 😴

Around the Network

I would say the total package. There is also a collectathon where you find hidden Toads in the environment. I love me some good collecting. 

Wyrdness said:

I’m skeptical of the battle system (I prefer my Paper Mario as an RPG) so I didn’t know how much that influenced your opinion versus the writing. 

note: I’ve been online for hours and I haven’t gone to bed yet so I apologize for poor wording. 😴

Quick note it wasn't me you asked but from playing the game my personal view on the writing is it's probably the best so far in the series the battle system itself feels odd at first but as you wrap your head around it it becomes engaging I've actually found the boss battles to be some of the best as rather than rely on the same moves to get through them the constant on the fly puzzle solving keeps you active especially as later bosses begin employing tricks of their own to mess with puzzles.

Indeed.
I have played the Paper mario games since the 64 (skipped the wii u one). But the Origami king was my favourite alongside with TTYD.
Battle system didn't bother me compared to the absence of an exp system.
But overall it was an amazing game. Very well plotted and crafted, with a more zelda-ish adventure style.
If I had to notice something, it's the bothering omnipresence of Olivia to help you with everything.

Just beat it. It sure kept getting better and better. Its not better than Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door imo, but it is the best we have gotten since them.

It's good fun. I'm enjoying the battle system more than I thought. I'd still rank it below the first three games though. Olivia is quite annoying - not just the hand holding, but her general character.