By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase announced for the 20th

That direct reminded me of Nintendo's dark ages. The WiiU era has returned. Really do hope the fall or holiday game is revealed soon. One of them is likely pokemon snap, but without a release date I can't be certain. Their earnings report is August 4th, so I expect to find out then.

Around the Network

Lowkey shocked there was nothing related to Bravely Default II.

Dyotropic said:
That direct reminded me of Nintendo's dark ages. The WiiU era has returned. Really do hope the fall or holiday game is revealed soon. One of them is likely pokemon snap, but without a release date I can't be certain. Their earnings report is August 4th, so I expect to find out then.

I half agree about the Wii U thing but only FTTB, however, if it truly was Wii U era. SMT would not be there. We would get a trailer for Lost Reavers.

Last edited by Leynos - on 20 July 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The overall direct was bad, but I am a huge SMT fan so I feel like I got what I wanted. SMT V looks like it will be excellent and I am glad it will come next year!

NightlyPoe said:
Ouch. That was not pretty. Even with reduced expectations, this was extremely disappointing. What was Nintendo thinking sending this out to die like that?

I feel they should've either dropped these as individual videos without notice, or they simply should've held this Direct back for a while.

What's really bad about this whole thing is the timing. Both because of the leaks hyping everyone up, and because it's been such a long time since there was any solid game displays for Switch. We can understand with E3 being cancelled, that their plans would change and there wouldn't be anything in June. So a lot of people then assumed they'd have a showcase in July instead. Then there was just a long period of silence with only the surprise Paper Mario game.

So finally after a long wait, we get confirmation on a Direct. And while most people tried to keep their expectations in check, only the most pessimistic could've predicted something this underwhelming. It was terrible timing to release something like this and Nintendo didn't read the room.

Around the Network

They might as well have shown off burnout paradise for switch. I could at least say there was a game I am interested in.

Shaunodon said:
NightlyPoe said:
Ouch. That was not pretty. Even with reduced expectations, this was extremely disappointing. What was Nintendo thinking sending this out to die like that?

I feel they should've either dropped these as individual videos without notice, or they simply should've held this Direct back for a while.

What's really bad about this whole thing is the timing. Both because of the leaks hyping everyone up, and because it's been such a long time since there was any solid game displays for Switch. We can understand with E3 being cancelled, that their plans would change and there wouldn't be anything in June. So a lot of people then assumed they'd have a showcase in July instead. Then there was just a long period of silence with only the surprise Paper Mario game.

So finally after a long wait, we get confirmation on a Direct. And while most people tried to keep their expectations in check, only the most pessimistic could've predicted something this underwhelming. It was terrible timing to release something like this and Nintendo didn't read the room.

Yeah it was very tone-deaf.

It's been abundantly obvious for months now how tired their fanbase is of being starved of information, and dropping this anemic 8 minutes that covered just 4 games, only one of them actually significant, was a very poor choice. In terms of communication, I think the current situation might be close to the worst Nintendo has ever been.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 July 2020

I am starting to feel like 2020 was just going to be a lackluster year for Nintendo despite the pandemic.

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
I am starting to feel like 2020 was just going to be a lackluster year for Nintendo despite the pandemic.

The pandemic hasn't done any good for most, if not all, companies in the business.

If the rumors were true about Nintendo celebrating Mario's 35th anniversary, then the pandemic certainly affected their original plans and they're trying to figure out how to navigate their releases. If you think about it, the LEGO Mario, the Universal Theme Park, the Tokyo Olympic Games, and the 35th anniversary games would've all been spotlighted at E3 or some event that Nintendo would've heavily promoted. But, as we all know now, the Olympic Games were postponed, the Super Nintendo World Universal Theme Park's opening is postponed, and E3 was cancelled in place of...these random game presentations that ranged from "eh" to "bad," outside of Sony's PS5 hardware and games unveiling (which also presented some of its own questions and concerns).

So far, all the games Nintendo has had a hand on (developed and/or produced), and planned for this year, had firm release dates by the end of their initial reveals.

TMS #FE Encore: January 17

Animal Crossing New Horizons: March 20

Good Job!: March 26

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: May 29

Clubhouse Games: 51 Classic Games: June 5

Paper Mario: The Origami King: July 17

At this point, we'll just have to wait and see how the rest of the year pans out. It's a weird year in general. Regardless, Nintendo Switch is still selling well (with no signs of Nintendo changing their forecasts), despite some unrest from the core fanbase, and has had months of shortages (and lotteries in Japan) until recently, I think...Hell even Ring Fit Adventure has had stock shortages even now, despite being a surprise hit. We may get a surprise or two by March 2021 (the end of Nintendo's fiscal year). Hopefully it works out for the rest of the year.

Ok, this mini Direct was very bad (except for SMT V).
September, we just need to wait for September.
Nintendo must have several games (almost ready) for the last part of the year.. At this point, the only thing I can think off is they really are waiting for the right time to show them prior to the launch of PS5 and XboxSX in November.