By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware July 5 to July 11 - Switch Sales Increase to Nearly 350,000 Units

wohufana said:
curl-6 said:
PS4 is down to 51% market share, I wonder if it will drop below 50% before next gen arrives.

There was a thread made that PS4 would maintain above 50% market share against XBox One + Switch combined until the end of the generation. I cannot remember the year that thread came out but of course it appeared at a time when PS4 seemed invincible.

Oh yes I remember that. Times have surely changed. And in this case, it was for the best. 

Edit: lol I just did a quick search and this is what I found

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/216422/can-the-ps4-keep-its-50-market-share-even-if-the-nx-is-included/1/

I remember a different thread which was more recent or at least after the Switch was announced/released. 

Edit 2: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/238713/will-the-ps4-be-able-to-stay-above-50-market-share/1/

Last edited by Jranation - on 19 July 2020

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
PS4 is down to 51% market share, I wonder if it will drop below 50% before next gen arrives.

wohufana said:
curl-6 said:

There was a thread made that PS4 would maintain above 50% market share against XBox One + Switch combined until the end of the generation. I cannot remember the year that thread came out but of course it appeared at a time when PS4 seemed invincible.

Jranation said:
wohufana said:

Oh yes I remember that. Times have surely changed. And in this case, it was for the best. 

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/216422/can-the-ps4-keep-its-50-market-share-even-if-the-nx-is-included/1/

I remember a different thread which was more recent or at least after the Switch was announced/released. 

Edit 2: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/238713/will-the-ps4-be-able-to-stay-above-50-market-share/1/

So if Nintendo's early gen sales of the Wii U (13.97m) are included, the marketshare for this Gen as a whole would roughly be PS4 48%, Switch/WiiU 31%, XBOne 21%.

Mandalore76 said:
curl-6 said:

wohufana said:

Jranation said:

So if Nintendo's early gen sales of the Wii U (13.97m) are included, the marketshare for this Gen as a whole would roughly be PS4 48%, Switch/WiiU 31%, XBOne 21%.

True but I think including both Nintendo's current and last gen machines together is a bit unfair.

curl-6 said:
Mandalore76 said:

True but I think including both Nintendo's current and last gen machines together is a bit unfair.

Well, the first of Jranation's links Polled on whether or not the PS4 would maintain 50% market share against XBox One + WiiU + NX (which would become the Switch).  It's interesting enough to note that the poll came out overwhelmingly in favor of the PS4 maintaining over 50% marketshare even against 3 combined consoles:

PS4 > XONE + Wii U + NX?

YEAH!!!!! PS4 Domination! 200 74.35%

NOPE! NX will do quite well! 69 25.65%

Total: 269

Mandalore76 said:
curl-6 said:

Well, the first of Jranation's links Polled on whether or not the PS4 would maintain 50% market share against XBox One + WiiU + NX (which would become the Switch).  It's interesting enough to note that the poll came out overwhelmingly in favor of the PS4 maintaining over 50% marketshare even against 3 combined consoles:

PS4 > XONE + Wii U + NX?

YEAH!!!!! PS4 Domination! 200 74.35%

NOPE! NX will do quite well! 69 25.65%

Total: 269

4 years later and that thread has turned into 2016 VGChartz' "Joke of the year". Hey, 200 people loved this joke huh?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mandalore76 said:

It's true.  Wii U was Gen 8 while Switch is Gen 9.  I'm fine declaring that the PS4 has already won Generation 8, because I think the Switch has gotten a head start on Generation 9.  Against the Wii U and XB1, the PS4 is the clear winner.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

It's true.  Wii U was Gen 8 while Switch is Gen 9.  I'm fine declaring that the PS4 has already won Generation 8, because I think the Switch has gotten a head start on Generation 9.  Against the Wii U and XB1, the PS4 is the clear winner.

I expect once PS5/XSX are out the charts will revert to Wii U/Xbone/PS4 for "last gen" and Switch/XSX/PS5 for "current gen", but I was referring to how they're currently charted here, basically "can PS4 stay ahead of Xbone + Switch combined until PS5/XSX launch?"

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 July 2020