Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts June 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah Switch should win in North America and has already won in Japan, while PS4 will win Europe.

We shall see in the future if the lead in North America and Japan will be enough by the end to offset Europe. Though the lack of any big upcoming games for the rest of 2020 isn't a good sign.

Yeah the Switch's barren future lineup is quite worrying. This momentum won't last forever if the supply of games dries up, like it did for the Wii in 2011/2012 and the Wii U in 2016.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

We shall see in the future if the lead in North America and Japan will be enough by the end to offset Europe. Though the lack of any big upcoming games for the rest of 2020 isn't a good sign.

Yeah the Switch's barren future lineup is quite worrying. This momentum won't last forever if the supply of games dries up, like it did for the Wii in 2011/2012 and the Wii U in 2016.

With only one platform to support, I was hoping the Switch would have a steadier flow of games. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

With only one platform to support, I was hoping the Switch would have a steadier flow of games. 

Yeah me too. The main problem now is that they literally don't have a single first party game dated for the future, and only a handful even confirmed to exist at all. It makes the Switch's future look awfully bleak.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 July 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

The flow of games hasn't been so terrible if you look at the year so far. Not great, but Paper Mario literally just released last week, and Xenoblade a month beforehand. What's hurting right now is the lack of any reassurance for the rest of the year.

They must be playing everything very much by ear, waiting as long as possible to see what they can push out. Right now, they may just keep announcing any notable games a month before release, once they know it'll be ready. At least for 2020, that just seems like their strategy.

Share the article here.

PS4 vs Wii in the US Sales Comparison – PS4 Closes the Gap in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Wii.

PlayStation 4 Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 260,395 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,464,340 - PS4

Total Lead: 7,443,894

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 33,644,861

Wii Total Sales: 41,088,755

June 2020 is the 80th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 when compared with the Nintendo Wii during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 has caught up to the Wii by 260,395 units and in the last 12 months outsold the Wii by 2.46 million units. The Wii currently leads by 7.44 million units.

Both consoles launched in November in the US. The Wii launched in November 2006, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. This does mean the holidays for the two consoles do lineup.

The 80th month for the PlayStation 4 is June 2020, while for the Wii it is June 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 33.64 million units, while the Wii sold 41.09 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold units 41.70 million lifetime in the US, therefore the PlayStation 4 needs to sell another 8.06 million units to catch up to the lifetime sales of the Wii.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
trunkswd said:

The flow of games hasn't been so terrible if you look at the year so far. Not great, but Paper Mario literally just released last week, and Xenoblade a month beforehand. What's hurting right now is the lack of any reassurance for the rest of the year.

They must be playing everything very much by ear, waiting as long as possible to see what they can push out. Right now, they may just keep announcing any notable games a month before release, once they know it'll be ready. At least for 2020, that just seems like their strategy.

This.

2020 actually has had a pretty good lineup of first party Switch games so far.  It's a far better lineup than Switch had in 2018 or 2019 from Jan. to July.  But 2018 and 2019 had its best games in the latter part of the year.  We don't know what Switch has coming for this year.  In 2018 they had Smash and in 2019 Pokemon.  Will Switch have anything that is comparable?  And how many titles does it have still coming this year?

It's really the uncertainty that is unsettling to people.  We know games are still coming, but what are they?

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 22 July 2020

I'm still not sure about PS4 vs Wii in the US. Another 8 million is just on the borderline of maybe it can, maybe it can't.

Btw do we have a PS4 vs 360 in the US chart too? I forget.

curl-6 said:
I'm still not sure about PS4 vs Wii in the US. Another 8 million is just on the borderline of maybe it can, maybe it can't.

Xbox 360 actually outsold the Wii in the US.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Xbox 360 actually outsold the Wii in the US.

I'm aware of that. hence it'll be 7th gen US market leader vs current market leader.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 July 2020

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Nears 3 Million in June 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned US Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 325,137 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,221,290 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,922,364 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 20,519,720

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 17,597,356

June 2020 is the 40th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe by 325,137 units. In the last 12 months the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 3.22 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS and Wii U by 2.92 million units.

The 3DS launched in March 2011 in the US and the Wii U launched in November 2012, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 40th month for the Nintendo Switch is June 2020, for the Nintendo 3DS it is June 2014 and for the Wii U it is February 2016. The Switch has sold 20.52 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 17.60 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 50, when they sold a combined 20.52 million units.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold a combined 28.87 million units in the US. The Switch is currently 8.35 million units behind. The Wii U has been off the market for a few years, while the 3DS is still on the market. However, 3DS sales have shrunk considerably and is selling well under 5,000 units per week.