Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Square Enix scared of releasing FF16, possible flopping ?

crissindahouse said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

Moneyhatted like successful FFX ? SE knows where the money and the brand prestige is looking at FF7R numbers. This is called wise bussiness model. At the moment it is rumour.

Moneyhatted like Sony pays a dev to take a game away from other platforms. FF7R didn't sell so well because it got an exclusive release on PS, it sold so well  because it's a very good remake of a legendary game. It's not as if people only bought it because it didn't release on PC or Xbox yet lol. 

And it's obviously wise from Square to take the money if it is more as they lose from less sales on PC/Xbox. I didn't question that. 

Yes, it's a rumour but it wouldn't be a surprise.

No reason to let it sound better as it is. No gamer really gains much from it. Same with Tomb Raider on Xbox in 2015 as example. 

Remind me how well did FF XIII sold on X360 and FFXV on X1....

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:
PAOerfulone said:

The game shipped 5 million units at launch weekend, which was enough to "break even" on development costs. It was the fastest selling launch in franchise history at the time.

So yeah, I think they were able to make a little profit off the game. Juuuust a little.

Thats not how it works, I work in Finance and I can tell you that financial news releases from companies will do everything they can to be vague and paint a good picture since most of the people do not have a proper knowledge of how it works.

For example, what exactly covers the development costs? The total revenue generated by the sales or juts the portion that stays with square? The number already exclude taxes? The development costs includes the other products related to FFXV that may not had good sales, like to 2 hour movie and the other related games? Does it include all the marketing expenses? Was there any write off of costs when the game was still called FF Vs? What about the development costs post launch? Also, development costs does include overhead costs, what about the net final profitability after all overhead costs?

We will never know the answer to those questions and believe me, they will never tell us in their financial statements.

Im not saying the game had a loss, just saying the probably the net final % profitability of the game was probably lower than the good old FF7-FF10 times.

Source: your gob... 

Do you even have the financial data that points out to FFVII being a better revenue stream? I mean, when you launch at full price to the tune of 5 Million plus copies and say "break even", then it's as much as possible. 

If there are any reasons the game did not make as much as FFVII or VIII or X, even those reasons are probably related to Square Enix the company. 

It was Britain, it is America, tomorrow France and next year, the world... 

Warning: This poster has a very negative opinion of Sony and Nintendo, Idea Factory and companies Tecmo Koei, EA, BioWare, Blizzard, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Kadokawa and Sega. If you have very positive views of these and a negative view of Microsoft or Bethesda Game Studios, AVOID ENGAGEMENT AT ALL COSTS! 

Xxain said:
    The entire OP is just wrong information.
    FF15 was the highest selling FF since FFX
    FF13 as a series sold 11 mill but FF15 sold more than each installment individually and a few mill away from outselling entirely.
    FF7R unsurprisingly will retake that crown.
    FF14 has made the most money of any FF.

Project Anthia is a new.

This weak phase of Final Fantasy is all in your head. It never happened.

It did happen. Even though it didn't last, the series did see clouds. It's also known as "steer clear from Toriyama". 

It was Britain, it is America, tomorrow France and next year, the world... 

Warning: This poster has a very negative opinion of Sony and Nintendo, Idea Factory and companies Tecmo Koei, EA, BioWare, Blizzard, Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Kadokawa and Sega. If you have very positive views of these and a negative view of Microsoft or Bethesda Game Studios, AVOID ENGAGEMENT AT ALL COSTS! 

DonFerrari said:
      Except you are wrong, FF XV outsold FF XIV

It didn't, if VGSales is anything to be believed, it's pegged at around 10m sales, while FFXV sits at around 9m. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

Either way, even if you take away unit sales, FFXIV is a subscription based MMO and brings in far more revenue over time than any SP mainline entry in the series. 

Raven said:
      DonFerrari said:
      Except you are wrong, FF XV outsold FF XIV

It didn't, if VGSales is anything to be believed, it's pegged at around 10m sales, while FFXV sits at around 9m. https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

Either way, even if you take away unit sales, FFXIV is a subscription based MMO and brings in far more revenue over time than any SP mainline entry in the series. 

Sorry I typed wrong, was to write FFXIII but put XIV just because it would be the previous number.

My bad,

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

I don't think a mainline FF has ever actually flopped. I guess the initial release of 14 could be considered a flop, but Realm Reborn was a big success. The rest of the mainlines have been great successes commercially. I think FF16 is just taking so long because they waited too long to put it into development. If rumors are true, it will be announced very soon though, possibly as early as Sony's August State of Play.