Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Ocean Franchise: Is the series done ?

Didn't Tri-Ace release a remake of the 1st one just last year? Not sure how well that sold, but I would guess they are probably working on Star Ocean 6 currently, though since the remake just released last year, I wouldn't expect to see an announcement for 6 for at least 2 more years probably.



Around the Network

Star Ocean 2 was one of my most beloved jrpgs back in the days,since then it seems like they just released games with better graphics while taking a step back on all other aspects.
Now it has turned into,a mediocre Tales game series?



Immersiveunreality said:
Star Ocean 2 was one of my most beloved jrpgs back in the days,since then it seems like they just released games with better graphics while taking a step back on all other aspects.
Now it has turned into,a mediocre Tales game series?

Tales was at least mediocre. SO became everything people mocked JRPGs for.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Immersiveunreality said:
Star Ocean 2 was one of my most beloved jrpgs back in the days,since then it seems like they just released games with better graphics while taking a step back on all other aspects.
Now it has turned into,a mediocre Tales game series?

Tales was at least mediocre. SO became everything people mocked JRPGs for.

Ugh yeah she was so annoying and unneeded,everytime she said kay i hoped we could just let her float off in endless space and be done with it.

Also the dialogue....



The Last Belmont said:
Not until they at least release Second Story/Evolution on the PlayStation Store... And then release those versions of 1-4 physically lol.

To be honest, I lost interest in the series after playing just one section of 3. I knew it wasn't a bad game, but it didn't grab me like 2 did, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I didn't think the music was as good as 2, idk. If the series isn't selling well, I think the obvious solution is to remake the most popular game, which I'm told is part 2. It doesn't have to look as good as RE2, 3, or FF7 remakes, but they could do a minimalist cellshaded look and I bet it would look a lot better than the anime.

Valkyrie Profile needs to be brought to the PlayStation store too, all 3 games! I don't know if Tri-Ace can do a new IP though. I remember Radiata Stories being rather boring. Maybe they could bring Baten Kaitos back?

They already have! I own it even. Haven't played it yet, but bought it while it was on sale.

I think it's exclusive to the Japanese PS Store, but it's still on the PS Store.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network

The problem with SO is SO3. It's ending writes the entire series into a wall.
What SE need to do is remake 3 and change the ending.

Once that is done they will have more creative freedom.



twintail said:
The problem with SO is SO3. It's ending writes the entire series into a wall.
What SE need to do is remake 3 and change the ending.

Once that is done they will have more creative freedom.

...... That has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of Star Ocean/tri-Ace interest.



Xxain said:
twintail said:
The problem with SO is SO3. It's ending writes the entire series into a wall.
What SE need to do is remake 3 and change the ending.

Once that is done they will have more creative freedom.

...... That has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of Star Ocean/tri-Ace interest.

Actually I'd say it does.

The entire SO series is 1 connected timeline. Because 3 basically gives that a definitive ending, everything else needs to be worked into that. 
This actually does limit creative freedom, and I would imagine also sours potential interest in continuing to develop new games. Where will SO6 fit?

Most probably positions would be between 4 and 1, and between 5 and 3. Those have big enough gaps in the timeline where you could do something, but would that something be of importance to the greater SO narrative? Probably not. 

I'd also argue that the SO3 ending is somewhat controversial for the community. Take into account how rubbish SO4 is, and how mediocre SO5 is, there probably isn't a lot of interest from the gaming community either.

Now, I'm not saying that  SO6 won't exist. But they either need to redo 3, or create a brand new timeline. The latter is probably better idea since they can treat it like something new and fresh.



That is a shame. I thought the Star Ocean 5 game was infinitely superior to SO4 despite having enjoyed both.

I still need to get the First Departure R. Hated SO3.



twintail said:
Xxain said:

...... That has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of Star Ocean/tri-Ace interest.

Actually I'd say it does.

The entire SO series is 1 connected timeline. Because 3 basically gives that a definitive ending, everything else needs to be worked into that. 
This actually does limit creative freedom, and I would imagine also sours potential interest in continuing to develop new games. Where will SO6 fit?

Most probably positions would be between 4 and 1, and between 5 and 3. Those have big enough gaps in the timeline where you could do something, but would that something be of importance to the greater SO narrative? Probably not. 

I'd also argue that the SO3 ending is somewhat controversial for the community. Take into account how rubbish SO4 is, and how mediocre SO5 is, there probably isn't a lot of interest from the gaming community either.

Now, I'm not saying that  SO6 won't exist. But they either need to redo 3, or create a brand new timeline. The latter is probably better idea since they can treat it like something new and fresh.

Always the option of a hard reboot or a soft reboot. Soft reboot can ignore any sequels they wish to.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!