By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Ocean Franchise: Is the series done ?

twintail said:
Xxain said:

...... That has absolutely nothing to do with the lack of Star Ocean/tri-Ace interest.

Actually I'd say it does.

The entire SO series is 1 connected timeline. Because 3 basically gives that a definitive ending, everything else needs to be worked into that. 
This actually does limit creative freedom, and I would imagine also sours potential interest in continuing to develop new games. Where will SO6 fit?

Most probably positions would be between 4 and 1, and between 5 and 3. Those have big enough gaps in the timeline where you could do something, but would that something be of importance to the greater SO narrative? Probably not. 

I'd also argue that the SO3 ending is somewhat controversial for the community. Take into account how rubbish SO4 is, and how mediocre SO5 is, there probably isn't a lot of interest from the gaming community either.

Now, I'm not saying that  SO6 won't exist. But they either need to redo 3, or create a brand new timeline. The latter is probably better idea since they can treat it like something new and fresh.

Your projecting your own personal issues. None of that has anything to do Star Ocean 5, and Star Ocean 4 (For those that did not like it) being mediocre.  They could retcon 3.._ and the still have a mediocre game.  

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:

Did just check the remake of star ocean 2 and i absolutely dislike the cheaply added character anime portraits when they talk to eachother,instead of immersing me it would pull me out of the immersion so i rather play the old version.

I also never imagined Rena to look like or be a child,i imagined her to be a more stronger looking female fighter.

Star Ocean Second Evolution is a enhanced port for the PSP ported to PS4 in Japan, not a remake and yes the character design is absolutely terrible.

Xxain said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Did just check the remake of star ocean 2 and i absolutely dislike the cheaply added character anime portraits when they talk to eachother,instead of immersing me it would pull me out of the immersion so i rather play the old version.

I also never imagined Rena to look like or be a child,i imagined her to be a more stronger looking female fighter.

Star Ocean Second Evolution is a enhanced port for the PSP ported to PS4 in Japan, not a remake and yes the character design is absolutely terrible.

Thought about checking it out if it was on ps4 but those designs kill the immersion for me,guess i played the original enough on my ps1 back in the days. :)

What i also did not like about Star Ocean 5 is that they took the Star Ocean out of it,space travel,other planets?

Immersiveunreality said:
Xxain said:

Thought about checking it out if it was on ps4 but those designs kill the immersion for me,guess i played the original enough on my ps1 back in the days. :)

What i also did not like about Star Ocean 5 is that they took the Star Ocean out of it,space travel,other planets?

Star Ocean 5 has the least of it, but that is not mandatory per say. Star Ocean 1 and 5 emphasize the fantasy over the sci fi, Star Ocean 3 and 4 put more emphasis on sci and 2 is the most balanced. 

Star Ocean 5 was call back to both Star Ocean 1 and 3. It has a setting and party allusions to 1 with a story that expands on events leading to 3.

The series certainly gets a fair amount of update/re-release attention it seems. I mean, the first title was an SNES game, yeah? Then we got a PS1 remake, a PSP remake after that and Im pretty sure I have the HD-ish remake version of the PSP title on my PS4. The second one got the PSP treatment and from what I know is getting the same PS4 re-release treatment as well. Till the end of time got an HD facelift on PS3/4 and then The Last Hope also got a PS4 facelift, with I&F being on the PS4. Meaning, once they do the 2nd game (PSP HD remake thing) you'll legit have most of the SO series on one system. That's something. I mean, maybe they're looking at sales of those to determine if they continue with the series?