By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Low effort, high reward quality games?

Looters like Diablo and Borderlands?

Around the Network

To be fair, these aren't the words I'd use to any game you've mentioned. Something like Doom and its sequel, perhaps.

Or take just about any single player game and play on easy. Boom, there you go.

John2290 said:
The perfect example of this is GTA5 but instead of being generic, I'm talking more complexity with involved systems and depth.

You want to put low effort into complex systems and get high rewards?  What?

Basically any modern game. Most games released now are easier and more accessible.

A low effort high reward game would be like Rocket League and Counterstrike. The concept is simple, you have basic objectives but the skill required to get ranks needs training and perseverance. Any scrub can jump in and get Silver but to get to gold, elite and global you need a strong team or skilled players who know what they are doing and be consistent.

I would say the Souls games if you are talking SP you going high reward. It takes time to master but the concept is simple. WoW is another good one, easy to pick up and play but PvP and endgame requires you to use your brain (and skills).

Sea of Thieves? At its core it’s a low effort game where you make your own tales to tell. Ends up being one of the more addicting multiplayer games of Xbox One

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

This thread makes no sense. As others have said, you can take just about an good game, set it to low difficulty, and you have a game that matches your requirements. Some of the games you listed yourself in the OP are a great example of this, in fact.

Give Divinity Original Sin 1&2 to just about anyone on Tactician mode, and their first playthrough is NOT going to be low effort. Or you could be really cruel, and set their first playthrough to Honor mode. Get back to me with how little effort they're putting in, and getting by.

What's complex about TW3? Or rather how is it different from other open world RPGs ?

Low effort high reward, that's Mario games. At least when you say that I think of easy to pick up difficult to master.

John2290 said:
Angelus said:
This thread makes no sense. As others have said, you can take just about an good game, set it to low difficulty, and you have a game that matches your requirements. Some of the games you listed yourself in the OP are a great example of this, in fact.

Give Divinity Original Sin 1&2 to just about anyone on Tactician mode, and their first playthrough is NOT going to be low effort. Or you could be really cruel, and set their first playthrough to Honor mode. Get back to me with how little effort they're putting in, and getting by.

No,you can lower the difficulty in Skyrim or RDR2 and it's still not low effort or instantly rewarding. You can up or down the difficulty in Uncharted or Diablo but it never adds complexity. The Witcher 3 is this sprawling, massive and complex game but you can play it for a short time and still get rewarded and you don't have to put in much effort at all cause the combat and systems are all so straight forward and easy without loosing complexity. Compare this to Skyrim and you can play for an hour and litterally get no conclusion or reward to anything you attempt.

I disagree with almost everything you've said here.

For starters, how does one define what is and isn't rewarding to the player? For some, it may be discovering new places on a map. It may be getting a powerful new item. Completing a story quest. Leveling up. Getting to the next cutscene. Experimenting with game mechanics. Meeting, and befriending new characters. Taking screenshots in a beautiful environment. I could go on all day. Literally any number of things may be rewarding to any number of people, so if you're going to make the general assertion that some of these games aren't rewarding (be it in short play sessions or otherwise), I'm here to tell you that you're wrong.

hinch said:

Basically any modern AAA game. Most games released now are easier and more accessible.

A low effort high reward game would be like Rocket League and Counterstrike. The concept is simple, you have basic objectives but the skill required to get ranks needs training and perseverance. Any scrub can jump in and get Silver but to get to gold, elite and global you need a strong team or skilled players who know what they are doing and be consistent.

I would say the Souls games if you are talking SP you going high reward. It takes time to master but the concept is simple. WoW is another good one, easy to pick up and play but PvP and endgame requires you to use your brain (and skills).

Filled in one critical thing that was missing

John2290 said:
Angelus said:

I disagree with almost everything you've said here.

For starters, how does one define what is and isn't rewarding to the player? For some, it may be discovering new places on a map. It may be getting a powerful new item. Completing a story quest. Leveling up. Getting to the next cutscene. Experimenting with game mechanics. Meeting, and befriending new characters. Taking screenshots in a beautiful environment. I could go on all day. Literally any number of things may be rewarding to any number of people, so if you're going to make the general assertion that some of these games aren't rewarding (be it in short play sessions or otherwise), I'm here to tell you that you're wrong.

Oh Nvm then, I'll just try Mass effect Andromeda and hope people were wrong about it.

You go ahead and do that. It has the best combat in the entire franchise, so that alone might be plenty rewarding for you.