By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor - PS5 price, release date and preorder info right around the corner (sometime between now and July 13th)

These are the most entertaining console launches I have ever followed. I imagine that the strategy meetings at both companies are insane right now.

I would love to know what Sony and Mircrosoft's rock bottoms are. Could Sony go $399.99/$349.99 if Microsoft went $399.99/$249.99? Would it be worth it? Would it be good for the industry?

Personally, I am hoping for;

PS5/XBSX - $499.99
PS5 Digital - $399.99
XBSS - $299.99

I don't want to see either company devalue the hardware, and take a loss leading model. It is not healthy for the business, and does build a good foundation for future Console hardware.

Ideally, I would like to see them launch with these prices, and maintain them until they offer Pro and Slim models a few years down the road. I believe that both companies have a responibility to keeping the industry healthy, and showcasing the true value of the hardware. They should be selling at cost at launch, and then making small profit gains as the generation progresses. Providing a false sense of value, creates unrealistic expectations in the minds of consumers.

If companies are going to manipulate prices, and deceive consumers, it is better that they do it in a way that benefits the industry, and not in a race to the bottom. That is short win for consumers, but a long term loss for the company and the consumer once thing have to be rebalanced.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't buy it, they are trying to hold that info the longest possible to try and have MS reveal before, and there is still time before launch.

The only way that is possible is if they are going boldly low and are sure MS won't counter

SNY seems to be playing fairly nice so far, so I really doubt this, but unless they were to try and bait MS like AMD did to Nvidia somewhat recently, I can't see them going first, especially if Lockhart is coming and is close to the rumored specs.

SNY could go first and say PS5 is going to be like $599 and $549(DE), hoping MS doesn't want to go any lower than they have to, making XBSX maybe $549 or $599. Then immediately after MS decides to announce the XBSX price, like the very next day at the latest, even though XB fans may be rejoicing that their top tier console will be cheaper, SNY pulls a "jebaited" and says the prices were always going to be $499 PS5 and $449(DE) at launch.

PS fans probably wouldn't be very negative at all if they did this, in this specific way, yet it would look really bad on MS's part if they followed suit and dropped the price as well afterwards, because it would look like they were the one's being greedy. Now XB fans would likely say SNY was lying and was hoping to screw their customers and was forced to drop price because XBSX was lower or at par. How XB fans would take it overall is hard to say, but they obviously wouldn't be as happy as they were before, while PS fans would be surprised and may get a good laugh out of it.

This would be another huge kick in the nuts moment like 'this is how you share games' if it were to happen. I really doubt it though.

It is better to reveal the price second if they are going to be close because this way if MS lower their price it will look bad as if they were overpricing when they first announced.

Only way it makes sense to reveal first is if they are absolutely sure MS can't undercut with XSX and Lockhart is much weaker.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KBG29 said:
These are the most entertaining console launches I have ever followed. I imagine that the strategy meetings at both companies are insane right now.

I would love to know what Sony and Mircrosoft's rock bottoms are. Could Sony go $399.99/$349.99 if Microsoft went $399.99/$249.99? Would it be worth it? Would it be good for the industry?

PS5/XBSX - $499.99
PS5 Digital - $399.99
XBSS - $299.99

I don't want to see either company devalue the hardware, and take a loss leading model. It is not healthy for the business, and does build a good foundation for future Console hardware.

Ideally, I would like to see them launch with these prices, and maintain them until they offer Pro and Slim models a few years down the road. I believe that both companies have a responibility to keeping the industry healthy, and showcasing the true value of the hardware. They should be selling at cost at launch, and then making small profit gains as the generation progresses. Providing a false sense of value, creates unrealistic expectations in the minds of consumers.

If companies are going to manipulate prices, and deceive consumers, it is better that they do it in a way that benefits the industry, and not in a race to the bottom. That is short win for consumers, but a long term loss for the company and the consumer once thing have to be rebalanced.

From Daniel Ahmad we know that the cost of manufacture for PS5 standard is projected to be 450 and XSX about 480.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

From what I am reading online XSS is going to be 199

Last edited by Heavenly_King - on 04 July 2020

Heavenly_King said:
From what I am reading online XSX is going to be 199

Series S is going to be $300 or a little lower. BOM for XSX is higher than PS5, that's not viable at all.

I expect XBX to cost around $499 same as PS5. PS5 DE probably be around $100 less.

Around the Network

Series S is going to be $300 or a little lower. BOM for XSX is higher than PS5, that's not viable at all.

I expect XBX to cost around $499 same as PS5. PS5 DE probably be around $100 less.

Do we know the BOM for both consoles?

jenpol said:

Dan Ahmed estimative (trusthyworthy) 450 for PS5 and 480 XSX

DonFerrari said:
jenpol said:

Thanks, still estimates.   I feel that those info are for the PC parts equivalent. No one knows the customization cost I think.

jenpol said:
DonFerrari said:

Thanks, still estimates.   I feel that those info are for the PC parts equivalent. No one knows the customization cost I think.

Yes estimatives, and mostly based on the bulk price manufacturers would pay, size of chips, etc. But yes there is margin depending on custom (either to make it more unique or cheaper).

KBG29 said:

PS5/XBSX - $499.99
PS5 Digital - $399.99
XBSS - $299.99

I see your point and agree, but could the talk of more expensive software allow them to sell the hardware for less than expected possibly?

If PS4 players have on average 10 games, and costs go up $10 per game, that would mean an approx $100 extra going towards PS5. Would SNY simply scoop that all up, or would they sell the hardware for $50 to $100 less than they would otherwise? Would using the higher software price to sell hardware even cheaper, lead to higher profits overall? The sooner hardcore gamers have the console in their hands, the more likely they are to spend more on games. The more gamers who have the console sooner in general, the more time they have to buy games for that console. Not to mention service subscriptions or other media offerings.

*Especially with a recession. It's much harder to get someone to buy a $500 console than it is to buy a $70 game. Would people in this situation rather a $500 console with $60 games, or a $400 console with $70 games?

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 05 July 2020