By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Writers Thread: July 2020

What is your favorite game from the first half of 2020?

Animal Crossing: New Horizons 5 20.83%

Doom Eternal 1 4.17%

Dreams 0 0%

Final Fantasy VII Remake 5 20.83%

Half-Life: Alyx 1 4.17%

The Last of Us, Part II 1 4.17%

Ori and the Will of the Wisps 1 4.17%

Persona 5 Royale 2 8.33%

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition 4 16.67%

Other 4 16.67%

Total:24

We're over a week into July. Let's catch up on some of the articles so far!

Reviews:

Goosebumps Dead of Night

Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics

The Last of Us Part II

Articles:

Defined Design: Katana Zero's Surprising Story

Sales:

Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Sales Comparison Charts Through July 4, 2020

Switch vs PS3 Sales Comparison in Europe - Close Race Through May 2020

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - Gap Shrinks in Favor of the Switch in May 2020

More to come!

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
Adding to the already mentioned articles above, I am also planning on starting another longer article series on video game history in the near future, but I haven't decided on a specific subject yet, so if anyone has suggestions for potential topics to cover you can leave them here in this thread. I'm very much interested in seeing what people would like to read about regarding video game history.

The rise and fall of a specific game genre maybe?

Darashiva said:
trunkswd said:

History of video game graphics?

That could be very interesting to go in-depth on. Maybe focus on graphical innovations throughout the history of video games and how they've changed the way games look? I'll need to make a note of that and think about it. 

trunkswd said:
Darashiva said:

That could be very interesting to go in-depth on. Maybe focus on graphical innovations throughout the history of video games and how they've changed the way games look? I'll need to make a note of that and think about it. 

It would require a lot of research. If there is a lot of information to write on, maybe have each article focus on a single decade or a single generation. 

I'd say this video would be a good point to start: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyjyWUrHsFc

Here's the above video divided up into a playlist of 5 parts:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOQZmjD6P2HlOoEVKOPaCFvLnjP865X1f

The 8-bit Guy also has a nice two-parter about them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfh0ytz8S0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rsycfDliZU

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 July 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Darashiva said:
Adding to the already mentioned articles above, I am also planning on starting another longer article series on video game history in the near future, but I haven't decided on a specific subject yet, so if anyone has suggestions for potential topics to cover you can leave them here in this thread. I'm very much interested in seeing what people would like to read about regarding video game history.

The rise and fall of a specific game genre maybe?

I will come back to the history of specific genres at some point, but the last big series I finished was the history of real-time strategy, which pretty much followed it's rise and fall (and eventual resurgence) over the years, so I probably won't start another article series focused on a specific genre quite yet. Eventually, yes, and I have some plans in place for that already, but it's going to be a while before that happens.

Hey there!

The good folks at tinyBuild have shared with us a giveaway code for Hellpoint on Xbox One. It's a sci-fi Souls-like set on a space station orbiting a black hole. It supports online and split-screen co-op. The game launches July 29, 2020.

If you're interested in the code, please reply to this post and let us know 1) your favorite Souls-like game and 2) why you enjoy it so much. Everyone who responds will go into a random drawing for the code. I'll announce the winner at 5pm ET on July 29.

Around the Network

Cool

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Machina said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Hey there!

The good folks at tinyBuild have shared with us a giveaway code for Hellpoint on Xbox One. It's a sci-fi Souls-like set on a space station orbiting a black hole. It supports online and split-screen co-op. The game launches July 29, 2020.

If you're interested in the code, please reply to this post and let us know 1) your favorite Souls-like game and 2) why you enjoy it so much. Everyone who responds will go into a random drawing for the code. I'll announce the winner at 5pm ET on July 29.

Don't want the code, raises conflict of interest issues anywho. But I'll answer anyway.

My favourite Soulslike is Dark Souls 3, with The Surge a strong second. I completed From's games all out of order, but one straight after the other (Bloodborne then Dark Souls 2, then 3, then 1 Remastered), and 3 was definitely the strongest for me. By that stage they'd nailed the formula and the visuals  (and atmosphere) were on another level to 1 and 2.

The Surge was the game that got me to give the genre another go. I'd originally bought Dark Souls 2 on PC when it launched and found it to be completely inaccessible. The controls were totally messed up and the lack of structure and explanation for how everything worked meant I didn't have a clue where to go next once I reached to main hub or what to do with my character, and so I predictably ended up hitting a brick wall of difficulty for a newcomer. But I gave the genre a second chance with The Surge, which was more accessible and structured at the start. Loved it, eventually gave Dark Souls 2 another shot, having banked up some experience with the genre, and that time it all clicked. Have devoured every Soulslike that looks half good ever since. Will be getting Hellpoint too.

+1 for The Surge. One of my favorite "AA" games of the gen. Its dystopian setting and limb-severing mechanics really differentiate it from the crowd. 

The Souls-like formula has quickly become one of my favorites.

Last call to put your name in for a Hellpoint code on Xbox One. Sound off by 8pm ET today!

Does darksiders 3 count? if so its mainly because of the keepers of the void DLC that properly combined combat and platformpuzzles.
aside from being hard in general on the higher difficulties, bonus points for the badass female lead

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

Does darksiders 3 count? if so its mainly because of the keepers of the void DLC that properly combined combat and platformpuzzles.
aside from being hard in general on the higher difficulties, bonus points for the badass female lead

I say it counts! I will send you the code via PM.