By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Writers Thread: July 2020

What is your favorite game from the first half of 2020?

Animal Crossing: New Horizons 5 20.83%

Doom Eternal 1 4.17%

Dreams 0 0%

Final Fantasy VII Remake 5 20.83%

Half-Life: Alyx 1 4.17%

The Last of Us, Part II 1 4.17%

Ori and the Will of the Wisps 1 4.17%

Persona 5 Royale 2 8.33%

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition 4 16.67%

Other 4 16.67%

Total:24

Welcome to the July 2020 monthly writers' thread!

This thread originated as a short-lived series in 2018, which was ultimately suspended due to lack of interest. The writing team is hopeful this new series will be more useful to the community.

In this and subsequent threads, you can:

• Find upcoming reviews, previews, and articles
  • Pose questions and make recommendations to the writing team

Please share you constructive feedback, your questions, and your suggestions for future op-eds, articles, and reviews! We aim to produce the kind of content you wish to read.

Thank you for your patronage and support!

Edit 7.31.20

The good folks at tinyBuild have shared with us a giveaway code for Hellpoint on Xbox One. It's a sci-fi Souls-like set on a space station orbiting a black hole. It supports online and split-screen co-op. The game launched July 29, 2020.

If you're interested in the code, please reply to this post and let us know 1) your favorite Souls-like game and 2) why you enjoy it so much. Everyone who responds will go into a random drawing for the code. I'll announce the winner at 8pm ET on July 31.

Last edited by Veknoid_Outcast - on 31 July 2020

Around the Network

Upcoming Reviews:

• Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (NS)
  • Bounty Battle (NS) 
  • CastleStorm 2 (PS4/Switch)
  • CrossCode (NS)
  • Deadly Premonition 2 (NS)
  • Fairy Tail (PS4)
  • Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)
  • Goosebumps: Dead of Night (XOne)
  • The Last of Us, Part II (PS4)
  • Marvel's Iron Man VR (PS4)
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King (NS)
  • Sword Art Online Alicization Lycoris (PS4)
  • Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection (NS)

Upcoming Sales:

• Monthly sales comparison breakdown articles for June 2020 (Will)

Upcoming Articles:

• Video Game Music Spotlight #15 (Taneli)
  • "Framerate Revolution" (Lee)
  • "Unique Game Design" (Paul)
  • Zelda Replay: Link's Awakening DX (Evan)
Last edited by Veknoid_Outcast - on 01 July 2020

Hi all! After a long hiatus, the monthly writers thread is back. We hope you'll share your suggestions for future content, alongside what you think we currently do well — and where you see room for improvement.

Glad to see it back :)

I'll put a plug for my upcoming Zelda article here. I dug out my GBC and Link's Awakening cart to replay the game. Check it out:

After this, it's Ocarina, for which I'm super pumped :)

Around the Network

nice i usually miss the reviews

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

what can I say I visit the website mostly from the hot topics page

now if you guys could convince Talon to add articles in the sidebar while visiting the forum

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Adding to the already mentioned articles above, I am also planning on starting another longer article series on video game history in the near future, but I haven't decided on a specific subject yet, so if anyone has suggestions for potential topics to cover you can leave them here in this thread. I'm very much interested in seeing what people would like to read about regarding video game history.

trunkswd said:
Darashiva said:
Adding to the already mentioned articles above, I am also planning on starting another longer article series on video game history in the near future, but I haven't decided on a specific subject yet, so if anyone has suggestions for potential topics to cover you can leave them here in this thread. I'm very much interested in seeing what people would like to read about regarding video game history.

History of video game graphics?

That could be very interesting to go in-depth on. Maybe focus on graphical innovations throughout the history of video games and how they've changed the way games look? I'll need to make a note of that and think about it. 

trunkswd said:
Darashiva said:

That could be very interesting to go in-depth on. Maybe focus on graphical innovations throughout the history of video games and how they've changed the way games look? I'll need to make a note of that and think about it. 

It would require a lot of research. If there is a lot of information to write on, maybe have each article focus on a single decade or a single generation. 

Probably divide the articles by generation. I think that would make the most sense regarding technological leaps and graphical development.