By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.25%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 17.50%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.25%

MS will do less well than... 48 60.00%

Total:80
shikamaru317 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

This is it this is the year

Technically they have one upped their previous E3 show almost every E3 this gen though. I couldn't really call any of those teases by Phil inaccurate.

2014 did have their best lineup in a long time, as late gen 360 E3's were quite weak thanks to Mattrick killing AA/AAA exclusive support for 360 in the later years to focus on Kinect instead, and 2013 only having a few announces like Dead Rising 3 and Ryse.

2015 did have their greatest E3 lineup up until that point.

2016 was a special year, they teased their mid-gen refresh console, announced 3 new exclusives, and had new trailers for many previously announced exclusives

2017 did have more exclusive games shown than in 2016.

2018 was their biggest E3 ever, it was their longest E3 show ever with 50 total games shown between 1st 2nd and 3rd party, and they announced multiple studio acquisitions and several new exclusives. 

He barely hyped up 2019, and indeed 2019 was their weakest E3 of the generation as I recall, it was quite obvious that most of their studios were saving up announces for the next-gen Xbox, which we now know to be Series X. 

So basically Phil seems to be exaggerating but in reality he is always trying to one up his performance from the previous year and does so (except 2019, which you yourself said he didn't hype). Interesting. Instead of viewing him as an overly excitable fellow over nothing, I can appreciate him as someone who is always competing with his past self and doing well at it.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

That same attitude could be applied to fans waiting for Final Fantasy 7, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, etc.

Leynos said:
TBH no MS Presentation under spencer has impressed me. Not seeing a good presentation from them in well over a decade. I hope this is the one but I'm not expecting it. Spencer always promises best ever for Xbox and it's just more of the same. A lotta nothing.

Tbh I though E3 2018 was quite great. Certainly better than anything else that year or the year prior. I really think Sony's E3 2015/16, Xbox's E3 2018, and Nintendo's E3 2019 were all the best of this gen. 

After assessing the level of confidence Phil Spencer has for the Xbox SEX I can only say: R.I.P. PS5

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Leynos said:
TBH no MS Presentation under spencer has impressed me. Not seeing a good presentation from them in well over a decade. I hope this is the one but I'm not expecting it. Spencer always promises best ever for Xbox and it's just more of the same. A lotta nothing.

Tbh I though E3 2018 was quite great. Certainly better than anything else that year or the year prior. I really think Sony's E3 2015/16, Xbox's E3 2018, and Nintendo's E3 2019 were all the best of this gen. 

ALl he showed in 2018 to me were 2 games I was interested in...and I got them on Switch and PS4. Thus he failed to me to entice me to get an Xbox. Phil needed something big to win me back after canning Scalebound and Phantom Dust. He hasn't. Xbox lacks Japanese exclusives. 360 had them. Loved that system. Anything else I can just get elsewhere. Scarlet Nexus looked interesting. Then I found out I can get it on PS4. 360 snagged exclusives away from Sony early on. Now I do like some western games but again can get them on PS4. So unless XSX announces some crazy exclusive like Armored Core VI or another Platinum Game. They have my interest. MS IPs don't interest me. I don't care about Halo or Gears or Forza. Everything else looked mediocre except Ori and Cuphead....which came to Switch. So yeah MS keeps failing to sell me an Xbox post 360. I think they failed most people and why Switch and PS4 outsold it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Great summary and of course I wouldn't expect the head of Xbox to say he isn't confident. Some of the strategies they are going at can be disruptive or prove to be unprofitable. Gen 9 will be exciting, still I prefer to keep my console and discs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It seems like Microsoft is very much content with their eternal 3rd place. Good for them. No reason to push yourself when you're already happy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

To me it’s clear who’s the most progressive and innovating the most. As opposed to one platform like the competition you can get their games via console/PC/Game Pass/Xcloud. Low barrier to entry and so many choices. Their investment in 1st party is unheard of, July event gonna change a lot of perceptions with too many games under wraps for too long.

In the end 3rd party games, even timed or whatever come and go. It’s the 1st party that defines the brand. Sony’s conference can be summed up as: GT7, Spiderman MM, Horizon ZD2, Ratchet&Clank. The big guns. Show me more then 4 big exclusives and they prove their first party is serious competition. Forza and Halo are a given, it’s the rest of their studios unknown games that make me excited.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

shikamaru317 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Technically they have one upped their previous E3 show almost every E3 this gen though. I couldn't really call any of those teases by Phil inaccurate.

2014 did have their best lineup in a long time, as late gen 360 E3's were quite weak thanks to Mattrick killing AA/AAA exclusive support for 360 in the later years to focus on Kinect instead, and 2013 only having a few announces like Dead Rising 3 and Ryse.

----- * : Forza Horizon 2, Sunset OverDrive, Fable Legends (cancelled), Ori & Blind Forest,  Halo MC collection (crazy buggy for years),  Phantom Dust (was promised as a remake), Scalebound (cancelled), New Crackdown (cloud based and fully destructable enviroments).  XBOX had a pretty good 2014 E3.

2015 did have their greatest E3 lineup up until that point.

----- * : Halo 5, 100 xbox360 games bc within 1year, ReCore, Forza Motorsports 6,  Minecraft Hololense (fake promotion), Gears 4.

2016 was a special year, they teased their mid-gen refresh console, announced 3 new exclusives, and had new trailers for many previously announced exclusives

----- * : Halo Wars 2, Sea of theives, State of Decay 2, We happy few.  And ofc games shown off before. Xbox One S.

2017 did have more exclusive games shown than in 2016.

----- * : Forza MotorSports 7,  Player Unknown Battlegrounds, Cuphead,... and 3rd party games.

2018 was their biggest E3 ever, it was their longest E3 show ever with 50 total games shown between 1st 2nd and 3rd party, and they announced multiple studio acquisitions and several new exclusives. 

----- * : Gamepass, Accessability controller for the handicapped,  Forza horizon 4, Gears 5, Gears Pop (for phones), Gears Tactics (pc only at e3 event), Halo Infiniate.  And ofc lots of 3rd party games.

He barely hyped up 2019, and indeed 2019 was their weakest E3 of the generation as I recall, it was quite obvious that most of their studios were saving up announces for the next-gen Xbox, which we now know to be Series X. 

----- * : Age of Empires DE (pc only), Battletoads, Bleeding Edge, Forza Horizon 4 DLC lego, Ori and the Will of Wisps, State of Decay 2 DLC heartland, and some 3rd party / mutliplats.

2014,2015, and 2018 are the "biggest" years imo, that xbox had.

2016 and 2017 wheren't as great. 

However 2014 didnt age well, because of how many broken promises it had (ei. phantom dust was never a remake, and they cancelled scalebound, fable legends, and crackdown never delivered anywhere near what they promised).

So the "best" e3's were between 2015 or 2018 for xbox.

"Technically they have one upped their previous E3 show almost every E3 this gen though."

2016, and 2017 clearly weren't the same level as 2014 & 2015.
2019 wasnt as impressive as 2018 either, but like you said they probably didnt claim it would be the best e3 year ever that year.

padib said:
SvennoJ said:
The video has been removed, but the summary is clear enough. A true yes man trying to please everyone. Let the games do the talking!

Thanks, I took some time to make it, but still I uploaded the video from another source.

I think that Microsoft is going in a direction that always matched its pedigree, which is to be as accessible as possible, be it from the ease of development, the ease of porting, the ease of connecting between players, to now the new ease of playing (Gamepass, XCloud, cross-play, All-access, backwards compatibility and PC ports). I believe that their approach to doing all of these at the same time and not one or the other is what is their strength right now. I think it's a culmination of the lessons they learned from all their mistakes in the past, and I see that they're well positioned for the next gen, be it in game distribution, increase in exclusive software, the increased variety of the games on offer and hardware capabilities of the latest console.

So yes the games should do the talking, but MS is increasing the discussion - between the players and the games - as more games can be played by more players.

I feel MS is spreading themselves too thin by wanting to be everywhere. They don't have a great track record providing software throughout any generation and seem more interested getting more people into their eco system. Offering more choice is a doubled edged sword. I like simplicity, get the best tailor made software for the next 7 years on an easy to use box.

Yep, MS is positioning themselves to be everywhere, most powerful console, likely cheapest alternative, everything cross-gen for the first 2 years, lot of effort into BC, putting everything on PC as well, Gamepass, xCloud, Games with gold, GAAS. They want to be first party, second and third all at the same time. (Yet ignore VR) What you think of as a strength, is what has me concerned. MS seems to lack focus and feels indecisive to me. Nintendo is doing amazing with their razor sharp focus, MS is spinning too many plates imo. Yet MS is a huge company, perhaps they can pull it off. If not by delivering great games, they're still a great place for 3rd party games.