By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 25, 2020 (Jun 15 - Jun 21)

Tagged games:

Seems like the Switch domination continues. PS4 barely got a boost from the TLOUII release, meaning that it's all up to Ghost of Sushi to make a difference this year. The TLOUII numbers are okay, but this to me means that global domination over Animal Crossing is not a given. AC was dominating in all regions.

Around the Network

RFA certainly defied a lot of people's expectations.

Switch once again crushes its 2019 numbers. PS4 saw a smaller boost from TLoU2 than from FFVII:R. Ring Fit Adventure gets some supply and sells it all.

Signature goes here!

The Nintendo legs looking good this week! And a nice increase for the Switch

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Nintendomination again

Around the Network

Looks like Japan is thoroughly Nintendo country.
And while Japan is a smaller market than the Americas or Europe, it is the most important market to dominate for a number of reasons. First, Eastern Asia is home to most of the game development teams world. second, 17 of the top 25 largest video game publishers are located in Eastern Asia, with Japan being the core of the industry there and home to most large Asian publishers. Third, Japanese devs in particular have a stronger tendency to create exclusive software than any other country isn’t he world.

While the impact will take a while to be felt, it will in the coming years.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

OTBWY said:
Seems like the Switch domination continues. PS4 barely got a boost from the TLOUII release, meaning that it's all up to Ghost of Sushi to make a difference this year. The TLOUII numbers are okay, but this to me means that global domination over Animal Crossing is not a given. AC was dominating in all regions.

Week 12, 2017, Monster Hunter XX came out for the 3DS, it sold 1+ million copies.  3DS hardware fell from 42k the previous week to 39k that week.  Monster Hunter and the 3DS are more popular than the PS4 and TLOU.  I don't understand these "this game didn't more hardware" for consoles past 72 months...its a hard needle to move for a console of that age, no matter the game.

Train wreck said:
OTBWY said:

Week 12, 2017, Monster Hunter XX came out for the 3DS, it sold 1+ million copies.  3DS hardware fell from 42k the previous week to 39k that week.  Monster Hunter and the 3DS are more popular than the PS4 and TLOU.  I don't understand these "this game didn't more hardware" for consoles past 72 months...its a hard needle to move for a console of that age, no matter the game.

Great that you found a rare example. But generally it's a fact that a big triple A game moves hardware. The question is how much. Nobody says anything about age.

Train wreck said:
OTBWY said:

Well in this case, we have a very recent example of a game that did move hardware for the PS4: Final Fantasy VII:Remake. PS4 increased by almost 60k units the week FFVII:R released so I think that OTBWY's comment is accurate when he says TLOU2 didn't do much for PS4 hardware sales in Japan.

Signature goes here!

So also in Japan did the last of us sell more than uncharted 4 or Spider Man. I believe both had around 125k-130k sales in the first week

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0