By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NSW is here to Stay!! It’s Life Will Be Long and No Successor Will Come Before 2025!

When will NSW2 come out?

2022 Holiday 15 11.19%

2023 Spring 19 14.18%

2023 Holiday 25 18.66%

2024 Spring 38 28.36%

2024 Holiday 23 17.16%

2025 Spring 10 7.46%

2025 Holiday 3 2.24%

2026+ 1 0.75%

Total:134
tbone51 said:
curl-6 said:

Again, I suspect we'll simply have to agree to disagree here. 

I guess I'd just rather they break records by releasing a packed lineup of quality games like they had last year.

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t 2020 in a similar position to that of 2018? 

If we are talking about the first 6 months, then 2020 is lightyears ahead of both 2018 and 2019.  2019 had a lot of good titles, but almost all of the exclusives came out in the second half of the year. 

Most of the complaints I'm hearing from curl-6 and others this year is simply in not knowing what is coming up.  For someone like me not knowing is a mild annoyance.  For others it may seem like the worst thing Nintendo has ever done.  I think we'd all like to know what Nintendo's 2nd half of 2020 looks like, but some people have a stronger reaction than others.

Around the Network

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it here: I think it depends on what you consider a Switch 2. I think there will definitely be some sort of hardware upgrade next year, but I also expect most, if not all of the content made for it will be compatible with the original Switch. The modular design of the Switch means they could quite easily release an upgraded version of the tablet to sell standalone for current Switch owners to encourage upgrades. If they do something like that, I could see a Switch successor that also changes the joycons and dock waiting until the mid-2020s.

Nintendo handhelds have always been at least one generation backwards compatible. The 3DS can play DS games the DS can Play Gameboy advanced games and the Gameboy advance can play gameboy games. I don't see why Switch 2 would break that tradition even if it is a hybrid. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
tbone51 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t 2020 in a similar position to that of 2018? 

If we are talking about the first 6 months, then 2020 is lightyears ahead of both 2018 and 2019.  2019 had a lot of good titles, but almost all of the exclusives came out in the second half of the year. 

Most of the complaints I'm hearing from curl-6 and others this year is simply in not knowing what is coming up.  For someone like me not knowing is a mild annoyance.  For others it may seem like the worst thing Nintendo has ever done.  I think we'd all like to know what Nintendo's 2nd half of 2020 looks like, but some people have a stronger reaction than others.

And 2017 for that matter. While Mario Kart and Zelda are both gigantic titles and key to the overall success of Switch to this time, and for a long time to come, we just had Animal Crossing which finishes the holy triad of Switch’s pantheon of key software. A year 4 killer app, and then the mountain of new software announced every week for release every week.

As for announcing software WAY in advance. That’s a completely unnecessary tactic and will do way more to hurt Switch than help. Switch is on fire, and people are arguing that clearly Nintendo is doing something wrong for no other reason than abandoning a less successful marketing status quo. Apple, the world’s most successful corporation with regular releases, basically functions on the exact same philosophy. Like Apple or hate them, what they do, works. And Nintendo has somehow won back all sorts of trust with the Switch for it to work for them too, people see the Switch delivering consistently, and trust that the platform is going to keep delivering. That’s why Switch is dominating the dedicated gaming industry with Wii/DS-level success which could very well be more sustainable than either if Nintendo continues its path without violating that trust it’s gained.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

nuckles87 said:
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it here: I think it depends on what you consider a Switch 2. I think there will definitely be some sort of hardware upgrade next year, but I also expect most, if not all of the content made for it will be compatible with the original Switch. The modular design of the Switch means they could quite easily release an upgraded version of the tablet to sell standalone for current Switch owners to encourage upgrades. If they do something like that, I could see a Switch successor that also changes the joycons and dock waiting until the mid-2020s.

As much as I wouldn't mind something like a Switch Pro, I can't see the point in it. The only purpose would be for supporting new AAA third party games, which have a nice market on Switch but not enough to justify a hardware revision. We're seeing enough of those games can already run on Switch with enough work put in, and the few that can't right now can be early releases for Switch 2 in 2024/2025.

People that buy Switch want to play 1st party games and other killer exclusives for the system. Most of those titles we've seen so far haven't even taken full advantage of the Switch hardware yet, so I can't see why any of the future ones would be restricted by it.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
kirby007 said:
RAVIOLI RAVIOLI GIVE ME THE JOHN LUCAS
i still say 300 million if they make a switch phone

What ever happened to John Lucas?

He got crushed by the weight of his own ego.

Signature goes here!

You should have added 2021 to the poll just to see how far the madness would go.

The 3DS was succeeded in 6 years. People suggesting that Switch's successor will arrive in 2022 means that it would be succeeded in 5 years. Considering that Switch will be close to 3DS' lifetime sales on its fourth birthday, it's safe to say that Switch is performing quite a bit better than the 3DS.

It is inconceivable that Switch 2 is arriving anytime before 2024.

Last edited by archbrix - on 22 September 2020

A 2023 replacement would be fine by me. By then I think I'll be satisfied with the Switch's life and prepared to move on, provided that the next two and half years have a good supply of games, that is.
Any sooner that than though and I think it'll have been cut short prematurely.

Not sure the Switch will get much support once the new console is out. They have only one system and they will want to push that new one has hard as possible.
It will not be a 3DS situation which they HAD to support since the Wii U was already dead in 2016 and the Switch wasn't a sure thing to be a success.

I don't see sales slowing too much anytime soon. Maybe a little, but we have yet to see a price cut so that will easily be countered. 2025 is possible, but I am thinking 2024 myself. That would put the Switch in a 7 year life cycle before the next generation of Nintendo gaming.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261