By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen to 9th Gen: Visual Analysis Thread

HollyGamer said:
curl-6 said:

Horizon 2 looks good, but it doesn't look as good as the UE5 demo to my eyes, not even close, not even in the same league.

That's because it's not a deep gameplay section, you can bump this comment. Wait for deep dive gameplay in a coming month. 

We'll see. I still reckon shooting for 1440p or checkerboard 4K would be a better use of next gen power; better quality pixels over number of pixels.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

I'm interested in how upscaling/recontruction on next gen consoles will hold up against the mighty DLSS, as I feel that may skew things in PC's favor to an absurd extent. I wonder if this whole insider talk about "PS5 having RDNA3 features" is related to reconstruction techniques.

DF could barely tell that the UE5 demo's resolution wasn't native 4K. On the other hand, they said Minecraft RTX performed and looked much better on a 2060 than on XSX largely thanks to the DLSS 2.0 magic, which -coupled with how PS5's actual games were rendered at native 4K- doesn't make me confident of either console in this regard.

I am almost certainly on the minority, but I think the jump from PS4 to PS5 looks more impressive than the jump from PS3 to PS4?

Though I think this is because the launch titles and trailers for the PS4 and Xbox One did a very bad job of showcasing what the systems could do compared to their predecessors. Or I might be misremembering

Found a short video comparing early gen 9 games compared to 8.

tack50 said:
I am almost certainly on the minority, but I think the jump from PS4 to PS5 looks more impressive than the jump from PS3 to PS4?

Based on the UE5 demo I would've whole-heartedly agreed.

Based on the actual games shown so far, eh, seems about the same to me.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.