By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Deathloop: The Rival is human controlled

Ready for the kicker? Julianna is also a playable character. While you will experience the main campaign as Colt, you also have the option to infiltrate another player’s game as Julianna and do some hunting. But keep in mind, that means someone else could be lurking in your campaign, waiting for the chance to strike. This is Arkane’s approach to an immersive multiplayer experience, where the focus is still on the main story, but there is unpredictability around every corner. “We felt this style of multiplayer, where we give people the option to play as the main antagonist, is a great way to really ramp up the level of trickery, tension, chaos and just plain unpredictability that we love in games like this,” explains Bakaba. “We feel that our game systems uniquely position us to allow for the confrontation between two players to be one not just of skill, but of wits, creativity and an open display of your personality.”

https://bethesda.net/en/article/7u3fdVVW7wfC5fhNyoeU2n/deathloop-gameplay-reveal-and-next-gen-details?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Community

Ok so this very interesting. This means that playing the story online is pvp. I don't think a game has ever done this before. The closest is probably DS/Bloodborne where people can drop in but then again this is the boss thats being controlled, a very important character in the story.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

i fear that not having the engagements happen at fixed moments will mean the rest of the game will pose less of a challenge to make up for the randomness

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
i fear that not having the engagements happen at fixed moments will mean the rest of the game will pose less of a challenge to make up for the randomness

Or maybe there will be too many engagements and it will make the game hard.

Mystro-Sama said:
kirby007 said:

Or maybe there will be too many engagements and it will make the game hard.

it will be very interesting maybe the game is tuned for an AI rival

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

This could be interesting, but also extremely annoying.

Imagine yourself not being that great at this game, and the rival being that guy who played 300 hours of this game and knows every nook and crany of it. And due to that, you make zero progress on the game. Maybe the progress you make ends up being negative, because the rival may kill you even earlier than the prvious kill.

I mean, there are ways around it, such as cycling the player who controls the rivals and all, so that he dosen't fight the same player twice, but I really hope there is a way to deactivate the human controlled aspect of the rival.

Last edited by Nautilus - on 12 June 2020

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Anyone else find it weird that there were two games revealed in the same conference that revolved around being trapped in a cycle of death? They both look different but it's weird that there were two games based on a niche concept were revealed at the same time.

JWeinCom said:
Anyone else find it weird that there were two games revealed in the same conference that revolved around being trapped in a cycle of death? They both look different but it's weird that there were two games based on a niche concept were revealed at the same time.

its edgy which attracts gamers

That really hurts my interest in the game because I expect this to hurt immersion really badly, and I often value immersion fairly highly.

Can't say I'm fond of these lil PVP "invasion" concepts, both from WD, DOOM, Souls and this game.

It would also piss me off real quick when all of a sudden, the game becomes stupidly difficult, because one player decides to muck up my fin/immersion.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Nautilus said:

This could be interesting, but also extremely annoying.

Imagine yourself not being that great at this game, and the rival being that guy who played 300 hours of this game and knows every nook and crany of it. And due to that, you make zero progress on the game. Maybe the progress you make ends up being negative, because the rival may kill you even earlier than the prvious kill.

I mean, there are ways around it, such as cycling the player who controls the rivals and all, so that he dosen't fight the same player twice, but I really hope there is a way to deactivate the human controlled aspect of the rival.

I would figure that you would turn it off during your first play through. The mechanic seems really good for replayability.