By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony prioritizing US audience for PS5 reveal because Japan is losing interest

Tagged games:

What do you think

people already know this 28 50.91%

I don't believe what he said 7 12.73%

There is still hope for Japanese market 6 10.91%

It's not relevant does no... 11 20.00%

Banzai Nippon 3 5.45%

Total:55
GoOnKid said:

See, console manufactorers don't hate and fight as much as we want to believe. It's only the fanbases who jump at each other, meanwhile Sony offered Nintendo the handheld market monopoly on a silver plate and now slowly retreats from their home turf step by step. That's true generosity!

What? Sony loses two times for Nintendo in handheld. Besides all major thirds supports Sony devices. In handheld space, Nintendo never loses.  

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
This comes across as defeatist did they actually say that?

No, this is just some analyst giving a flawed explanation.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Sony does not cater to Japanese taste at all. The have like 13 studios and only 1 is Japan based. Several new global IP's that lean towards the Japanese would be a good first move. Square Enix and CAPCOM are not enough (Sony is overly dependent on these two).

Makes sense, Nintendo has a chokehold over there in terms of traditional hardware. Mobile is still king almost anywhere but Nintendo has been setting records frequently in Japan.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 09 June 2020

Hynad said:
OTBWY said:
If you have less of a presence in Japan, that could cause less Japanese support. All Sony can do in a situation like that is moneyhat.

Japanese developers are also experiencing the same thing and have or are slowly adjusting to where the market for their games actually is.

No moneyhatting required. Simply common sense.

That's great for the 5 big Japanese games a year that come out in the west, but not so good for the rest who keep wanting to make games also for their homeland.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Hynad said:

Japanese developers are also experiencing the same thing and have or are slowly adjusting to where the market for their games actually is.

No moneyhatting required. Simply common sense.

That's great for the 5 big Japanese games a year that come out in the west, but not so good for the rest who keep wanting to make games also for their homeland.

I'll add that many of them have to make games for their homeland as not only do they not have the luxury is western releases but even if they did the success abroad is often very limited and niche at best.

Wyrdness said:
OTBWY said:

I'll add that many of them have to make games for their homeland as not only do they not have the luxury is western releases but even if they did the success abroad is often very limited and niche at best.

Those same games are limited and niche in Japan as well.  The biggest games coming out of Japan tend to be the biggest games in the west or are trending that way.  The smallest games in Japan isn't on anyone's radar, even the Japanese.  The whole notion that a subset of developers need to continue with a Japan only model is silly (and not even in droves happening anymore).  Its just a line that people use to extend Nintendo's dominance in Japan when in actuality a Japan only strategy is becoming irreverent. 

Well any worldwide video will have inconvenient time for a part of the public, they will try to have a timeframe that is mostly comfortable to the majority of their market base.

Anyway 5a.m. is quite ok, before covid I was waking up 5h30 to gym so 30 min earlier would be no problem. 2am would be much worse for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Isn't it possible they are prioritizing Europe over Japan? Or more likely US and Europe.

I've already seen several Euro VGCers excited that they actually get to watch this the night of.
3 CDT (1 PDT etc) gets you US and Europe. 8 CDT loses a lot of USers (TV shows, family time etc) and a ton of Europe.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Ka-pi96 said:
Bullshit. The console market is still strong, the Switch proves that.

They prioritised the US for the PS4 as well, they released there like 6 months earlier than Japan. Wouldn't be surprised if the same happens again. Them not caring about the Japanese market isn't because it's not big anymore, it's because they're a bunch of sell outs.

3 months, besides holiday sales period is more relevant in west than Japan plus they were sold out for the whole period so releasing in Japan at the same time would have made output even worse matched with demand.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."