By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony prioritizing US audience for PS5 reveal because Japan is losing interest

Tagged games:

What do you think

people already know this 37 48.05%

I don't believe what he said 8 10.39%

There is still hope for Japanese market 13 16.88%

It's not relevant does no... 14 18.18%

Banzai Nippon 5 6.49%

Total:77

I can see why Sony would prioritize the US.  We are the biggest and most fickle market.  Europe seems loyal to Sony, while in Japan the home console market is becoming less relevant every generation.  In the US we pick a new winner almost every generation, or at least we go from total domination to a more even split like in Generation 4.  There was that one time we picked Playstation twice in a row just to show how truly unpredictable we are.

In the the US XBox, Playstation and Nintendo are all solid brands, and the companies seem to always compete here the hardest.  The playing field here is fairly level, so this is where companies seem to focus their competitive efforts.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Hynad said:

The Switch is catering to that market there. It being portable and all. People spend less time playing in front of a TV and more on portable devices they can play wherever they want. 

The market has been heading towards that for years now, in Japan. And it's been discussed countless times here as well. That you take this as an opportunity to say it all falls on Sony's fault is showing you don't know or see what the gaming habit is like over there. Sony has tried to get into the handheld/mobile market. They made some strides but ultimately chose to focus on their strength: home consoles. Just like Nintendo is doing with the Switch, by making their console be a handheld, which is where they've always been unmatched. It's no question they succeed in Japan since they cater to the market that's still the most relevant there, both for Nintendo and the customers.

Whoa, slow down. You being a bit too defensive, if you see my comment as an attack on Sony. I didn't say it is their fault, I said they made a strategic decision to focus on a different market. As Nintendo made a strategic decision to leave the red ocean of graphical power driven gaming design. That's not a fault, it is a decision made.

What I wanted to express though is, that the japanese market isn't collapsing or anything, it is fine as long as you design products catered for it.

I slightly misunderstood your stance. So, sorry for that. But the way you said Sony doesn't want to make the extra effort made this not so clear. Sony tried to cater to the handheld market and couldn't find the success they wanted. Same as Nintendo with home consoles. Should Sony done an hybrid console as well, when their pedigree has always been more focused on pushing A/V technologies and home entertainment? To use your analogy, that's like asking a manufacturer specialized in car making to make bikes. Similar, sure, but certainly not the exact same market. Can't really knock on them for not making the effort to be part of a market that's never been in their DNA.

And sure, the Japanese gaming market isn't collapsing, but it's also moving in a different direction than in the west, where home consoles are still as popular as ever.

RolStoppable said:
Hynad said:

You're the master leaper of logic. So I'll take this as a compliment.

Have a good one.

Another argument won by me. *adds another + in the vs. Hynad column*

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Your shticks got old long ago.

Europe is where PlayStation matters most and Sony sees that. Nothing wrong with that.

This comes across as defeatist did they actually say that?

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

See, console manufactorers don't hate and fight as much as we want to believe. It's only the fanbases who jump at each other, meanwhile Sony offered Nintendo the handheld market monopoly on a silver plate and now slowly retreats from their home turf step by step. That's true generosity!

What? Sony loses two times for Nintendo in handheld. Besides all major thirds supports Sony devices. In handheld space, Nintendo never loses.  

Sony does not cater to Japanese taste at all. The have like 13 studios and only 1 is Japan based. Several new global IP's that lean towards the Japanese would be a good first move. Square Enix and CAPCOM are not enough (Sony is overly dependent on these two).

Makes sense, Nintendo has a chokehold over there in terms of traditional hardware. Mobile is still king almost anywhere but Nintendo has been setting records frequently in Japan.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 09 June 2020

Hynad said:
OTBWY said:
If you have less of a presence in Japan, that could cause less Japanese support. All Sony can do in a situation like that is moneyhat.

Japanese developers are also experiencing the same thing and have or are slowly adjusting to where the market for their games actually is.

No moneyhatting required. Simply common sense.

That's great for the 5 big Japanese games a year that come out in the west, but not so good for the rest who keep wanting to make games also for their homeland.

OTBWY said:
Hynad said:

Japanese developers are also experiencing the same thing and have or are slowly adjusting to where the market for their games actually is.

No moneyhatting required. Simply common sense.

That's great for the 5 big Japanese games a year that come out in the west, but not so good for the rest who keep wanting to make games also for their homeland.

I'll add that many of them have to make games for their homeland as not only do they not have the luxury is western releases but even if they did the success abroad is often very limited and niche at best.