By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Serious talk: PS NOW library is an atrocity

Why is it so bad?

Trying to beef up software sales 4 28.57%

They don’t care 9 64.29%

Right 1 7.14%

Total:14

Okay so ps now just released a sale that drops the service to $41.99 a year. I was going to subscribe seeing as they have added more premium content, and I was very attracted to persona, uncharted lost legacy, and gta v being on the service. Unfortunately it turns out sony has removed all of those $10 bargain bin games from the library. I started questioning why they’d do that considering those games are cheap and are first party so should not cost them much to have on the service. Why are their greatest huts game not on there? I decided to look at the competitor, Game Pass. I see the following :

kingdom hearts 3

devil may cry 5

red dead redemption 2

the witcher 3

final fantasy 15, 13, 10, 9, 8

third party games, old third party games, bargain bin games. These are also semi iconic playstation franchises. Why are they on game pass and not ps now is what i want to know. Then of course the majority of first party games from xbox are on there as well. Now mind you, I do not expect sony to drop their biggest games day 1, but I do expect to see, second son, the lost legacy, the last of us re, persona, unch 4, horizon, gt sports, the order, days gone, and more on there. Like come on, these are oldish games that sell for $10. If you want people to subscribe you need content. Because when the best game from current gen is shadow of the tomb raider on your service, good luck getting subscribers.

Last edited by leo-j - on 07 June 2020

mM
Around the Network

I personally don't care too much for either service at the moment as I prefer to own the games but it's no secret that Game Pass is leaps and bounds ahead of PS NOW.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
I personally don't care too much for either service at the moment as I prefer to own the games but it's no secret that Game Pass is leaps and bounds ahead of PS NOW.

Honestly, I think they just want to exceed ps2 software sales, because they could easily put their greatest hits on ps now. I’d subscribe for persona, and r7.

mM

Also, the games that are streaming are unplayable even though I have a reasonably fast connection (70mbps). Anything that's not downloadable is effectively unplayable. It's really a bad service.

JWeinCom said:
Also, the games that are streaming are unplayable even though I have a reasonably fast connection (70mbps). Anything that's not downloadable is effectively unplayable. It's really a bad service.

I disagree to an extent. Last time I tried the service was a year ago. My gripe, (using a wifi connection 50 mbps), was the disgusting resolution. I game on ps4 pro, usually 1260p or higher for ps4 games. To stream at a muddy 720p on my big 4k screen is kinda annoying. But the lag is not there for me. 

mM
Around the Network

I have said multiple times PSNOW is not worth the 10 buck sale. The PS2 section is a embarrassment. PSNOW could be free and I still would not invest in it.

leo-j said:
JWeinCom said:

I disagree to an extent. Last time I tried the service was a year ago. My gripe, (using a wifi connection 50 mbps), was the disgusting resolution. I game on ps4 pro, usually 1260p or higher for ps4 games. To stream at a muddy 720p on my big 4k screen is kinda annoying. But the lag is not there for me. 

I dunno.  I can only speak to my personal experience.  

Yea I feel like Sony never really took it very seriously. It was initially started as a way to play ps3 games due to the lack of BC on the ps4 and that vision may have been the problem. I think Sony's goal with PSNow vs MS goal with Gamepass were very different which is why we see such a difference in the library of games. We will see if changes in the future as the next generation arrives though.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JWeinCom said:

No no no, I beg to differ, the service is the only one where you can easily play with a basic cable connection (not fiber), with 5 Mbps only.

I've finished all 3 Uncharted games on my PSTV back in 2015 with my cellphone connection where 4G wasn't really as big as it is now

SKMBlake said:
JWeinCom said:

No no no, I beg to differ, the service is the only one where you can easily play with a basic cable connection (not fiber), with 5 Mbps only.

I've finished all 3 Uncharted games on my PSTV back in 2015 with my cellphone connection where 4G wasn't really as big as it is now

Hmmm... well I guess I jumped to conclusions based on my own personal experience.  I wonder if there's anything I could do to improve the quality.