Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 94 / OC: 94)

Tagged games:

DonFerrari said:
BraLoD said:

I really don't think it was lousy in any way, the whole thing was very well set up, the entire game is set up to make that happen, and the fungus was always a brain invasive parasite, that piece of info is what modeled the whole infected enemies design and evolution.

The game being setup to have Ellie being in need of die to have the cure doesn't really make that well written. It was something forced. Just as Deus Ex Machina situations on entertainment may have been planned that way, but that doesn't make they not Deus Ex Machina.

Cancer is very much brain invasive, and effectivelly takes parts of the brain off, still a neurocirurgion can extract part of the brain without killing the patient. Ellie is imune and the fungus didn't really develop so it is likely small and funghi certainly can be taken small portion and still would be working enough to do the research.

And you do not need the part that is infected first to see how antibodies react,they could test with some drained blood first or on a safer part of her body.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
DonFerrari said:

The game being setup to have Ellie being in need of die to have the cure doesn't really make that well written. It was something forced. Just as Deus Ex Machina situations on entertainment may have been planned that way, but that doesn't make they not Deus Ex Machina.

Cancer is very much brain invasive, and effectivelly takes parts of the brain off, still a neurocirurgion can extract part of the brain without killing the patient. Ellie is imune and the fungus didn't really develop so it is likely small and funghi certainly can be taken small portion and still would be working enough to do the research.

And you do not need the part that is infected first to see how antibodies react,they could test with some drained blood first or on a safer part of her body.

Yep. That is why it is a glaring writting error made to ensure it arised at the conclusion they wanted.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
BraLoD said:

I really don't think it was lousy in any way, the whole thing was very well set up, the entire game is set up to make that happen, and the fungus was always a brain invasive parasite, that piece of info is what modeled the whole infected enemies design and evolution.

Really. No.

On my 2nd playthrough on NG+ to get all the trophies, but playing on Light difficulty to rush through things and even on the easiest difficulty it seems to last *forever*.

Whatever they decide to do with the future of this franchise, I hope to god they release a shorter game next time out. While I actually really liked my first playthrough, it's a real fucking slog when you already know the story, the characters and where everything actually ends up. Feels completely different to replaying the original.

coolbeans said:
Tbh I was a bit disappointed about not being able to get through and write about it sooner. Seemed like I was missing out of the convo when it hit fever pitch.

Now I'm glad the chips fall the way they did, and surprised by the in-depth discussions had. Also *sad face* for @BraLoD not editing in VGC's conclusion into OP yet. :'(

Do you mean the prediction winner?

I doubt we won't have anymore scores posted, it's a waiting game.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
coolbeans said:
Tbh I was a bit disappointed about not being able to get through and write about it sooner. Seemed like I was missing out of the convo when it hit fever pitch.

Now I'm glad the chips fall the way they did, and surprised by the in-depth discussions had. Also *sad face* for @BraLoD not editing in VGC's conclusion into OP yet. :'(

Not so much the prediction winner, but just included with the assortment of other outlet's conclusions.

August 2020 Articles:

https://www.darkstation.com/reviews/the-wake-mourning-father-mourning-mother-review (The Wake: Mourning Father, Mourning Mother Review - 2.5/5 Stars)

Carl said:
On my 2nd playthrough on NG+ to get all the trophies, but playing on Light difficulty to rush through things and even on the easiest difficulty it seems to last *forever*.

Whatever they decide to do with the future of this franchise, I hope to god they release a shorter game next time out. While I actually really liked my first playthrough, it's a real fucking slog when you already know the story, the characters and where everything actually ends up. Feels completely different to replaying the original.

Do agree that for a second gameplay short after finishing the first the game can be unsatisfying. Perhaps do the opposite and put maximum difficult so you can enjoy more combat and not totally know how to breeze through fights?

With PS5 version and easy to skip cutscenes that shall also make it easier to people to do the second playthrough. And sure they should have made an easier quality of life to chapter selection and the pills and tools keep accumulating anyway so you don't need to really do 2 plays.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Carl said:

Spoiler!
Now you know what it felt like for others who lost interest in the story once Joel was killed and had to endure watching Ellie's character be assassinated.

CGI Edit ~ Last time - this isn't an open spoiler thread.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 10 July 2020

coolbeans said:
BraLoD said:

Not so much the prediction winner, but just included with the assortment of other outlet's conclusions.

I usually only include 20 to 25 reviews between the two or three first days, and the quotes from Metacritic, as it's the main comparision for the predictions.

DonFerrari said:
Carl said:

Do agree that for a second gameplay short after finishing the first the game can be unsatisfying. Perhaps do the opposite and put maximum difficult so you can enjoy more combat and not totally know how to breeze through fights?

With PS5 version and easy to skip cutscenes that shall also make it easier to people to do the second playthrough. And sure they should have made an easier quality of life to chapter selection and the pills and tools keep accumulating anyway so you don't need to really do 2 plays.

I went for Hard+ for my second playthought.
Don't even want to skip any event, like when replaying the first one, this game is so damn good.