Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 94 / OC: 94)

Tagged games:

John2290 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I would like to see that direction yes.

Do you think the player base would go for something like that? With Abby i mean. It's so hard to tell if it's a small minority of hardcore gamers against her or if it is how it is on MC, in reality.

I do not think people are really really against Abby but it was just not ideal for some to play as her not long after she did what she did without much time to grow towards her emotionally,a tiny bit more redemption might make her more likeable than Ellie  cause this Ellie is not the Ellie from the first game.

Abby becomes less hatefull towards the end of the game and that's when i personally begin to open for her,but imo that was too late.

Buuuut i rather would like Naughty Dog trying to make a new IP or at least split a small team off for Jak and daxter or so :P

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 02 July 2020

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
John2290 said:

Do you think the player base would go for something like that? With Abby i mean. It's so hard to tell if it's a small minority of hardcore gamers against her or if it is how it is on MC, in reality.

I do not think people are really really against Abby but it was just not ideal for some to play as her not long after she did what she did without much time to grow towards her emotionally,a tiny bit more redemption might make her more likeable than Ellie  cause this Ellie is not the Ellie from the first game.

Abby becomes less hatefull towards the end of the game and that's when i personally begin to open for her,but imo that was too late.

Buuuut i rather would like Naughty Dog trying to make a new IP or at least split a small team off for Jak and daxter or so :P

Of course this Ellie is the Ellie from the first game.

Even as I'll use spoilers I'll still be avoiding being too direct with it.

Spoiler!

Ellie changed and remained the same at the same time.

Her change in both ways was because of the two major events, the one from the first game ending, which was always clear she knew she was being lied to, and the one from this game, which I won't talk about.

Ellie never agreed with what Joel did for her, and still she loved him more than her hate for his choice.

She was set to do what she wanted to do because of her hate, but she is not Joel, she can't do what Joel did, which is exactly why she hated what he did for her, even as she loved him even more than that.

On her journey Ellie realized what she needed to do to achieve her goal was simply not right, and every major char she kills makes she hate herself more and more for becoming like Joel, specially that one in the hospital which she has to get info from, she was cruel.

After meeting Abby for the second time and realising what Abby could do even after Ellie did what she did, that made she gave up on her goal for as long as she could, she didn't hate anymore, but her love for Joel was still haunting her for what she should do.

Then Ellie abandoned her happiness and the least she still had for her love for Joel, but in the end, she was stuck with what she had realized before, what she needed to do was simply not right.

Ellie tried her hardest to force herself to do it.

Ellie fought against herself and chose the hardest path, differently than Joel that chose the path that pleased only him, it was what she was always set to do, because Ellie was never like Joel.

The first time she shots someone on the first game she is immediatly not ok with it, and after she lets her hate consume herself against David, she loses her mind.

Ellie was never like Joel, she always wanted a reason to feel she was worth living like him, but she was never a cold person like Joel (which Joel turned into, after the outbreak).

Ellie was very faithful to herself to the very last, and she even lost her means to the only thing she still could be linked with Joel, which was shown in the last scene and very worked into during her trip, whenever she found one of those.

This game story is very well thought, even as its so cruel.

Last edited by BraLoD - on 02 July 2020

Finally finished it.

32 Hours.

What a ride. What a challenge.

I'm gonna need a while to gather my thoughts.

im about 1/2 way through chapter 21 according to the collectable guide i rate the first game as one of the highest games ever made up there with mgs3 mgs1 and gta sa i actually spoiled myself and read the spoilers while i was playing the game aswell so i know what goes down and how the game ends

idk even if i excuse the games story and character decisions something feels off about the game like you cant swap bottle and bricks now you also cant melee with a bottle and brick if your carrying a bigger melee weapon, theres no MP either remember last gen ND made uncharted 1-3 and tlou this gen just uncharted 4 a dlc for it and tlou2 w/o MP, PS3 was also touted as being harder to dev for. what was so good about the first game and ND games in general was the connection with your playable character and the ai controlled so far that seems gone aswell

im not gonna rate the game yet bash or praise till im finished there could be things that can still change the way i feel right now im stuck in the middle but i believe something happened with ND sometime last gen idk to much about have to research but i remember a few key people that worked on thsese games left ND i feel if someone who created a character drake and joel for ex. if there not there part of the team then there original idea of how the character is is also gone and the other members of the team are tasked to mold that character how they want and feel

case in point drake in the first game is a badass treasure hunter he is now married with a kid no signs of treasure hunting anymore i cant talk about tlou2 b/c of spoilers but maybe some of the decisions made with the story and characters of tlou2 happened b/c now other people at ND where tasked with creating and story telling and they may have visions that are totally different than what was design back in 2013 so alot of changes have to made

Last edited by BHR-3 - on 03 July 2020

Play Me

forest-spirit said:

AngryJoe's review is up:

It's a long one, almost 50 minutes, so you may need some coffee to go with it.

I didn't get too far yet, but what I see so far is in line with his criticisms, especially on the pretty unlikable characters. Didn't play the first one though, so don't know what changed from that title.

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:

im about 1/2 way through chapter 21 according to the collectable guide i rate the first game as one of the highest games ever made up there with mgs3 mgs1 and gta sa i actually spoiled myself and read the spoilers while i was playing the game aswell so i know what goes down and how the game ends

idk even if i excuse the games story and character decisions something feels off about the game like you cant swap bottle and bricks now you also cant melee with a bottle and brick if your carrying a bigger melee weapon, theres no MP either remember last gen ND made uncharted 1-3 and tlou this gen just uncharted 4 a dlc for it and tlou2 w/o MP, PS3 was also touted as being harder to dev for. what was so good about the first game and ND games in general was the connection with your playable character and the ai controlled so far that seems gone aswell

im not gonna rate the game yet bash or praise till im finished there could be things that can still change the way i feel right now im stuck in the middle but i believe something happened with ND sometime last gen idk to much about have to research but i remember a few key people that worked on thsese games left ND i feel if someone who created a character drake and joel for ex. if there not there part of the team then there original idea of how the character is is also gone and the other members of the team are tasked to mold that character how they want and feel

case in point drake in the first game is a badass treasure hunter he is now married with a kid no signs of treasure hunting anymore i cant talk about tlou2 b/c of spoilers but maybe some of the decisions made with the story and characters of tlou2 happened b/c now other people at ND where tasked with creating and story telling and they may have visions that are totally different than what was design back in 2013 so alot of changes have to made

Nathan Drake was tired of his lifestyle as soon as in Uncharted 3, it's painfully obvious if you played it, and it came 2 years before TLoU.

Uncharted 4 was the best game in the series, Drake matured a lot with his age and adventures and his relationship with Elena is great.

ND has actually being considerably better since TLoU.

BraLoD said:
BHR-3 said:

Nathan Drake was tired of his lifestyle as soon as in Uncharted 3, it's painfully obvious if you played it, and it came 2 years before TLoU.

Uncharted 4 was the best game in the series, Drake matured a lot with his age and adventures and his relationship with Elena is great.

Their story telling certainly became more complex and involvent.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Bofferbrauer2 said:
forest-spirit said:

AngryJoe's review is up:

It's a long one, almost 50 minutes, so you may need some coffee to go with it.

I didn't get too far yet, but what I see so far is in line with his criticisms, especially on the pretty unlikable characters. Didn't play the first one though, so don't know what changed from that title.

Well, TLoU and TLoU2 has very different ways to tell their story.

TLoU follows a very straight foward path meanwhile TLoU2 deliberatedly branches it so you can only discover more about the chars after a lot has already happened.

I think both games are very competent in the way they choose to tell you their story, and TLoU2 will make you feel something a straight foward story will have a way harder time doing.

After you finish the game you can come back talk about it with me, I want you to experience it for yourself.

But I'll tell you, TLoU2 made me feel in ways I never did before with a game, they know very well what they are doing and how to play with you.

DonFerrari said:
BraLoD said:

Their story telling certainly became more complex and involvent.

I may be one of the few people that like U3 better than U2 and the reason is exactly the story telling.

U2 is all about action while U3 is a lot deeper and shows tje maturing of Nathan Drake begining to hit him.

Guys really? Everything i read about this game os related to its plot and story. But its a game or a movie ? I don't see any kind of analysis on gameplay, game method, features, innovations, interaction ... anyway ... I wonder how much time we have of cutscenes within the total game time.  Its should be considered to  Oscar instead goty