By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 93 / OC: 93)

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

They needing to kill her to extract the fungus to develop a cure was lousy writting to force the final with Joel killing everyone.

And as a father and also understanding that for him the world was worth nothing anymore and he was just surviving and avoiding people there would be no point in saving humanity at the cost of the girl he took for daughter after bonding on the journey.

I really don't think it was lousy in any way, the whole thing was very well set up, the entire game is set up to make that happen, and the fungus was always a brain invasive parasite, that piece of info is what modeled the whole infected enemies design and evolution.

The game being setup to have Ellie being in need of die to have the cure doesn't really make that well written. It was something forced. Just as Deus Ex Machina situations on entertainment may have been planned that way, but that doesn't make they not Deus Ex Machina.

Cancer is very much brain invasive, and effectivelly takes parts of the brain off, still a neurocirurgion can extract part of the brain without killing the patient. Ellie is imune and the fungus didn't really develop so it is likely small and funghi certainly can be taken small portion and still would be working enough to do the research.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
BraLoD said:

I really don't think it was lousy in any way, the whole thing was very well set up, the entire game is set up to make that happen, and the fungus was always a brain invasive parasite, that piece of info is what modeled the whole infected enemies design and evolution.

The game being setup to have Ellie being in need of die to have the cure doesn't really make that well written. It was something forced. Just as Deus Ex Machina situations on entertainment may have been planned that way, but that doesn't make they not Deus Ex Machina.

Cancer is very much brain invasive, and effectivelly takes parts of the brain off, still a neurocirurgion can extract part of the brain without killing the patient. Ellie is imune and the fungus didn't really develop so it is likely small and funghi certainly can be taken small portion and still would be working enough to do the research.

And you do not need the part that is infected first to see how antibodies react,they could test with some drained blood first or on a safer part of her body.

Immersiveunreality said:
DonFerrari said:

And you do not need the part that is infected first to see how antibodies react,they could test with some drained blood first or on a safer part of her body.

Yep. That is why it is a glaring writting error made to ensure it arised at the conclusion they wanted.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
BraLoD said:

Really. No.

On my 2nd playthrough on NG+ to get all the trophies, but playing on Light difficulty to rush through things and even on the easiest difficulty it seems to last *forever*.

Whatever they decide to do with the future of this franchise, I hope to god they release a shorter game next time out. While I actually really liked my first playthrough, it's a real fucking slog when you already know the story, the characters and where everything actually ends up. Feels completely different to replaying the original.

Around the Network
Carl said:
On my 2nd playthrough on NG+ to get all the trophies, but playing on Light difficulty to rush through things and even on the easiest difficulty it seems to last *forever*.

Whatever they decide to do with the future of this franchise, I hope to god they release a shorter game next time out. While I actually really liked my first playthrough, it's a real fucking slog when you already know the story, the characters and where everything actually ends up. Feels completely different to replaying the original.

Do agree that for a second gameplay short after finishing the first the game can be unsatisfying. Perhaps do the opposite and put maximum difficult so you can enjoy more combat and not totally know how to breeze through fights?

With PS5 version and easy to skip cutscenes that shall also make it easier to people to do the second playthrough. And sure they should have made an easier quality of life to chapter selection and the pills and tools keep accumulating anyway so you don't need to really do 2 plays.

Carl said:

Spoiler!
Now you know what it felt like for others who lost interest in the story once Joel was killed and had to endure watching Ellie's character be assassinated.

CGI Edit ~ Last time - this isn't an open spoiler thread.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 10 July 2020

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Do agree that for a second gameplay short after finishing the first the game can be unsatisfying. Perhaps do the opposite and put maximum difficult so you can enjoy more combat and not totally know how to breeze through fights?

With PS5 version and easy to skip cutscenes that shall also make it easier to people to do the second playthrough. And sure they should have made an easier quality of life to chapter selection and the pills and tools keep accumulating anyway so you don't need to really do 2 plays.

I went for Hard+ for my second playthought.
Don't even want to skip any event, like when replaying the first one, this game is so damn good.

A very big portion of the cutscenes hide big loadings so skipping isn't a good choice mostly.

BraLoD said:

@KLAMarine Please add a spoiler there, that's very heavy spoilers.

CGI-Quality said:

⚠️⚠️⚠️

Guys, I'm going to get firm about this, THIS IS NOT AN OPEN SPOILER THREAD!!! Please edit your posts!

Sorry about that. Keeps slipping my mind.

DonFerrari said:

My first playthrough was on Survivor and aside from a handful of encounters (I'm looking at you Hillcrest, Mall and Hospital), the majority of encounters were fairly straightforward to stealth through and take people out one by one. When they had dogs it became a pain. I suppose turning it back up to Hard or maybe even back to Survivor would make things a little bit more fun but... I dunno.

I explored pretty much everywhere in my first playthrough despite missing out on a bunch of well hidden artifacts and were nowhere near fully upgrading on pills or tools. I don't think that's actually possible to do on Survivor.

Maybe I'm just worn out on the entire thing after 2 complete playthroughs of the original for the Grounded trophy and a full playthrough of this all back to back.