Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts May 2020 Discussion Thread

Read and share this article here.

Switch vs Xbox One in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Closes the Gap in May 2020

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 460,209 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,791,312 - Switch

Total Lead: 8,501,877 – Xbox One

Switch Total Sales: 19,980,811

Xbox One Total Sales: 28,482,688

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap shrunk in favor of the Switch by 460,209 units when compared to the Xbox One. In the last 12 months the Switch has caught up to the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US by 4.79 million units. The Switch is currently 8.50 million units behind the Xbox One in the US.

The Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 19.98 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 28.48 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 3.90 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 16.08 million units through 39 months.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Tops 2 Million in May 2020

This is typically where the PS4's holiday period puts it back ahead but this pandemic boost prevented it.  The Switch will have to fall on serious hard times to give up the lead now.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
trunkswd said:

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison – Switch Lead Tops 2 Million in May 2020

This is typically where the PS4's holiday period puts it back ahead but this pandemic boost prevented it.  The Switch will have to fall on serious hard times to give up the lead now.

Nonsense. If you extended Switch's line based on its months 35 and 36, Nintendo's console would have still ended up ahead of the PS4 by month 38, and that even without Animal Crossing. Corona merely added to the inevitable, it wasn't a decisive factor.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

trunkswd said:

Switch vs Xbox One in the US Sales Comparison - Switch Closes the Gap in May 2020

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 460,209 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,791,312 - Switch

Total Lead: 8,501,877 – Xbox One

Xbox One Total Sales: 28,482,688

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap shrunk in favor of the Switch by 460,209 units when compared to the Xbox One. In the last 12 months the Switch has caught up to the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US by 4.79 million units. The Switch is currently 8.50 million units behind the Xbox One in the US.

The Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 19.98 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 28.48 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 3.90 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 16.08 million units through 39 months.

The foreign invader continues to gain ground on Xbone's last stand on its home turf; even in the US where it reigned supreme just last gen, it is destined for third place.

It can scarcely be overstated how big a blunder the 'bone was for the Xbox brand.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

The foreign invader continues to gain ground on Xbone's last stand on its home turf; even in the US where it reigned supreme just last gen, it is destined for third place.

It can scarcely be overstated how big a blunder the 'bone was for the Xbox brand.

A blunder, sure. But not nearly as big of a blunder as the Wii U, PS Vita or Sega Saturn. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

A blunder, sure. But not nearly as big of a blunder as the Wii U, PS Vita or Sega Saturn. 

True, but still a pretty dand sizeable one, with over 30 million of their 360 userbase lost.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

True, but still a pretty dand sizeable one, with over 30 million of their 360 userbase lost.

No doubt, Microsoft messed up this generation. They've lost marketshare worldwide. They've started turning things around the last couple of years with acquiring more studios, releasing more games, and doing things right with Xbox Game Pass. They still need to prove themselves to have any chance next gen to compete with the PS5. 

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - Switch Closes Gap Slightly in May 2020

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 62,702 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,004,109 - Wii

Total Lead: 7,028,382 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 14,836,935

Wii Total Sales: 21,865,317

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 62,702 units when you align the launches of the two consoles. In the last 12 months the Wii has outsold the Switch by 1.00 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 7.03 million units.

The Wii launched in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 39th month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2020 and for the Wii it is February 2010. The Switch has sold 14.84 million units, while the Wii sold 21.87 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold 33.88 million units worldwide during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 19.04 million units to outsell the Wii.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - Gap Shrinks in Favor of the Switch in May 2020

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 100,015 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 820,886 - Wii

Total Lead: 6,924,308 - Wii

Wii Total Sales: 26,905,119

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 100,015 units when you align the launches of the two consoles. In the last 12 months the Wii has outsold the Switch by 820,886 units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 6.92 million units.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 39th month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2020 and for the Wii it is January 2010. The Switch has sold 19.98 million units, while the Wii sold 26.91 million units during the same timeframe.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 21.72 million units to outsell the Wii.

No system can beat the Wii in the short run.  It will be interesting to see how these systems compare in the long run though, both in the US and Europe.  Personally I think the Switch will be the Wii in the US.  In Europe it will be competitive.  Hard to say which system will sell more in the long run on Europe.